What was your first RC??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adubbs87

ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
With the holidays fast approaching, it made me think about what got me the RC bug! I can remember it like yesterday which is rare because I don’t remember much but I know it was Christmas morning and I opened up my first RC the Tyco Fast Traxx!! Oh man it was amazing!! I remember it was so awesome. Driving it in the snow that year. The only downside was it took what felt like an entire day to charge the battery lol.

So I guess my question to everyone here is what was your first RC? There’s a picture of her in all her glory!!

IMG_8491.jpeg

Dude i had me one of those back in the day as well! But the pickup style:
View attachment 334325
Such a fun intro to the RC world. It was either that or the hi-jacker, can't remember which came first for me:
View attachment 334326
Dude, I didn’t know they made a pick up style! Wow, that is freaking amazing! Hey, both of those cars still look pretty amazing to me today lol.
@Hector_Fisher I can still remember that I don’t think I got another RC car that could actually drive through the grass as good as the Fast Traxx for years lol

Dude, I didn’t know they made a pick up style! Wow, that is freaking amazing! Hey, both of those cars still look pretty amazing to me today lol.
@Hector_Fisher I can still remember that I don’t think I got another RC car that could actually drive through the grass as good as the Fast Traxx for years lol
Absolutely. As a kid I remember I was heart broken when i broke the fast traxx, it was legitimately a good toy grade RC for the day. I think like a suspension component snapped or something. I remember begging my dad for weeks to try and fix it. He kept saying "okay, i'll see what I can do". Eventually I forgot about it and moved on...

I mean I can see why though, it would have been a pain to repair and probably wouldnt have held. Thank goodness for hobby grade RCs and swappable parts!

Kyosho Javelin. I wish I still had my original, but here’s my tribute to it. View attachment 334330
What a beauty
Oh wow I totally forgot about the Fast Traxx, but my first was the Grasshopper.
Oh, man, I remember the grasshopper
my first was a Slash 2WD, still have it, but now its a mid-motor rustler. i love them Traxxas 2WDs....
hate on me if you want.
No hate here, brother! They are awesome trucks and that’s even better that you still have it! 2wd is always fun
Absolutely. As a kid I remember I was heart broken when i broke the fast traxx, it was legitimately a good toy grade RC for the day. I think like a suspension component snapped or something. I remember begging my dad for weeks to try and fix it. He kept saying "okay, i'll see what I can do". Eventually I forgot about it and moved on...

I mean I can see why though, it would have been a pain to repair and probably wouldnt have held. Thank goodness for hobby grade RCs and swappable parts!
LMAO exactly thank God for hobby grade and us having the ability to fix them. Oh my God, could you imagine our dad’s trying to fix the fast Traxx?? If you’re familiar with the movie Christmas story I imagine it would sound like when the dad goes down the basement to fix the boiler LMAO.
Kyosho Javelin. I wish I still had my original, but here’s my tribute to it. View attachment 334330
Omg now that I think about it my grandpop had a javelin!! He used to say it was older than me lol and it was… came out in 86 and I was here in 87… wow I can’t believe I just remembered that thanks brother for the great memory!!!!!

My first RC was a Radio Shack Golden Arrow. (Not this one, LOL. Mine's long gone.) I got it when I was ten.

1701124234052.png

I had a ton of fun driving it, with my buddy who had a Red Arrow. We'd charge our Nicad batteries for four hours, get about 10-15 min of runtime. Rinse and repeat.

My first hobby grade RC was a JRX2, which I bought used from my LHS circa 1991-92. Even back then it was obsolete. I raced once at the local track and got lapped by everybody. The car was old, but I was, and still am, a terrible driver. Still had a blast. And I still have the car. I'll get around to restoring one of these days.

My first RC was a Radio Shack Golden Arrow. (Not this one, LOL. Mine's long gone.) I got it when I was ten.

View attachment 334349

I had a ton of fun driving it, with my buddy who had a Red Arrow. We'd charge our Nicad batteries for four hours, get about 10-15 min of runtime. Rinse and repeat.

My first hobby grade RC was a JRX2, which I bought used from my LHS circa 1991-92. Even back then it was obsolete. I raced once at the local track and got lapped by everybody. The car was old, but I was, and still am, a terrible driver. Still had a blast. And I still have the car. I'll get around to restoring one of these days.
The Golden Arrow! I remember these. A kid in my neighborhood had one. Good times!

My 2nd RC was a Big Brute! What a fun rig!

Ah the days of mabuchi 540's and msc's 😁
The msc died on the Pegasus so I made a metal roll bar and soldered the hot wire to it. Had a servo with the other end wired to a horn so when you worked the servo itd contact the bar, complete the circuit and go wot. Not bad for a little kid to get his crap back running 🤣

My first REAL RC car was a Cox interceptor. Mine was yellow.

https://blog.hobbydb.com/2016/06/17/designer-notes-cox-magblaster-and-interceptor/

The reason I say "real" is because I had the Cox Jeep first. It just wasn't remote controlled. Had several Radio Shacks and Nikkos after that. Then about 1985 I found an RC10 gold pan in a pawnshop. Needed a few things to get it going. Stopped at a LHS. A friend from high school was working there. He hooked me up and told me about some local tracks. The rest is history...

Tamiya TA02W Nismo was my first in 1997. I shredded diffs first run out cause I installed an insane motor. Learned a lot from this little fella.

View attachment 334339
Oh my god now that is a proper first RC! Lol I love to hear you put an insane motor in it. God, I remember the first time I tore up a differential. I had no idea what the hell was wrong lol.
My first REAL RC car was a Cox interceptor. Mine was yellow.

https://blog.hobbydb.com/2016/06/17/designer-notes-cox-magblaster-and-interceptor/

The reason I say "real" is because I had the Cox Jeep first. It just wasn't remote controlled. Had several Radio Shacks and Nikkos after that. Then about 1985 I found an RC10 gold pan in a pawnshop. Needed a few things to get it going. Stopped at a LHS. A friend from high school was working there. He hooked me up and told me about some local tracks. The rest is history...
That is definitely a sweet, proper first car! How freaking coo!! What kind of speeds were you able to get out of that monster? It’s funny because right now I’m watching the movie minions with my daughter. I’m not sure if you’re familiar but their favorite food is bananas and that’s what my daughter said when she saw the picture of the car lol.
The msc died on the Pegasus so I made a metal roll bar and soldered the hot wire to it. Had a servo with the other end wired to a horn so when you worked the servo itd contact the bar, complete the circuit and go wot. Not bad for a little kid to get his crap back running 🤣
I love hearing that! Like the other comment says nice MacGyver skills! It’s crazy how many skills you learn just being in this hobby
I love hearing that! Like the other comment says nice MacGyver skills! It’s crazy how many skills you learn just being in this hobby
First rc ever was a kyosho big brute.
2nd nearly at the same time was a kyosho Pegasus. Couple years later (98) I got a nitro stampede and never looked back. 😁

View attachment 334354

View attachment 334355
What was more fun out of those two cars?

View attachment 334349

That’s so freaking cool, you still have it! That will be a fun little passion project
My first hobby grade rc. The first one was a black Nikko brand , saw it rooster tail some snow and ice and those double AA's did t stand a chance 🤣🤣

View attachment 334347

View attachment 334348
That’s crazy you had this car because probably a year or so ago I was at my buddies house and he was showing me all of his nitro stuff and he had this exact same car lol I only remember because he still had the box. Lol.
My first RC was a Granite Mega my wife got me for Father's day last year. Now it is a 6s Granite with Center Diff and 6s Spektrum electronics from the Outcast EXB. I might have gone off the deep end a little bit.
Yeah, I guess you may have fallen off the edge of the world just a little bit LMAO! But what a fun rabbit hole it is to go down right? Man I’m loving all these replies. It’s so awesome just thinking about all this stuff. I can’t wait till stuff gets back in order and I can buy some cars and trucks. So many happy memories.
My first RC was a Granite Mega my wife got me for Father's day last year. Now it is a 6s Granite with Center Diff and 6s Spektrum electronics from the Outcast EXB. I might have gone off the deep end a little bit.
Also, I would love to see some videos of that beast running point to be honest with you my favorite truck that I ever owned to this day was a granite. For some reason it just took the most insane abuse I could throw at it. She was so fun.

Last edited:
Back