Typhon What to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoutout to Justin!!

Typhon it was, this thing is sweet!
Much different from my Kraton. Overall not quite as fun but still a total beast. It’s great knowing that the smaller wheels and compact form is nicer on the drivetrain and parts.

Thanks guys 😄

D3B137B6-AFE9-4E75-A620-587FBF44A133.jpeg

Shoutout to Justin!!

Typhon it was, this thing is sweet!
Much different from my Kraton. Overall not quite as fun but still a total beast. It’s great knowing that the smaller wheels and compact form is nicer on the drivetrain and parts.

Thanks guys 😄

View attachment 308511

Find the right tires for it!!
Running 6S?

I got some sunshine through the Canadian Smoke today.
Took 3 out to the Park. 3S and (2) 6S's.

The 6S Typhon (stretched, widened and lowered a bit) was on Hoon 107 Gold's in an empty parking lot, freshly paved. Just a Blast! People in the park were laughing and pointing. Was hitting low 70's, its too small of a lot, not enough distance and its surrounded by Park Boulders!
I was also running the method SC's and they weren't any faster. (the math says they should be) They are too soft, soft sidewall and get wobbly, gets sketchy at speed. Need more distance and room for them.
The Fortress EXB 6S tires (136mm? diameter) have a nice firm sidewall, they don't balloon and wear well on pavement. And they are Great on grass and dirt. I get the best times from them, easily in the 90's geared high (23/50). They're not cheap.
Had the Talion Katar tires on it last week and they were really good on grass but were a bit to big (cars not really wide enough). Fast on Grass with them!

Point is, each tire type changes the rig so much! The kraton isn't as dynamic as that for me. My Kraton 6S is again stretched and lowered a bit but it runs better with larger tires, Talion Katars or larger. Everything I try that are smaller just aren't right, not so fun. It less versatile that way.

The Typhon is just awesome. (I think It needs those Hex extensions, or you can change out to kraton Hubs (which is a few mm narrower than the extensions Im running), OR you can keep the Typhon Hubs and Hexes and use Mojave Arms which is wider than im running now by another 10mm or so.

IMG_5323 2.JPG
IMG_5321 2.JPG

Raises the body up an inch or so which Now gives you lots of room for a larger 6S battery and Big Fans.
Lets you also Add the center branch which really helps rigidity.

IMG_5219.JPG

Find the right tires for it!!
Running 6S?

I got some sunshine through the Canadian Smoke today.
Took 3 out to the Park. 3S and (2) 6S's.

The 6S Typhon (stretched, widened and lowered a bit) was on Hoon 107 Gold's in an empty parking lot, freshly paved. Just a Blast! People in the park were laughing and pointing. Was hitting low 70's, its too small of a lot, not enough distance and its surrounded by Park Boulders!
I was also running the method SC's and they weren't any faster. (the math says they should be) They are too soft, soft sidewall and get wobbly, gets sketchy at speed. Need more distance and room for them.
The Fortress EXB 6S tires (136mm? diameter) have a nice firm sidewall, they don't balloon and wear well on pavement. And they are Great on grass and dirt. I get the best times from them, easily in the 90's geared high (23/50). They're not cheap.
Had the Talion Katar tires on it last week and they were really good on grass but were a bit to big (cars not really wide enough). Fast on Grass with them!

Point is, each tire type changes the rig so much! The kraton isn't as dynamic as that for me. My Kraton 6S is again stretched and lowered a bit but it runs better with larger tires, Talion Katars or larger. Everything I try that are smaller just aren't right, not so fun. It less versatile that way.

The Typhon is just awesome. (I think It needs those Hex extensions, or you can change out to kraton Hubs (which is a few mm narrower than the extensions Im running), OR you can keep the Typhon Hubs and Hexes and use Mojave Arms which is wider than im running now by another 10mm or so.

View attachment 308572 View attachment 308573

Raises the body up an inch or so which Now gives you lots of room for a larger 6S battery and Big Fans.
Lets you also Add the center branch which really helps rigidity.

View attachment 308575
Awesome, man! Rig looks so good.
That’s a Kraton chassis right?

Have been running 6s on mine, doesn’t feel too powerful, may gear up slightly, but not until I get a motor fan 😂

Does the stock high speed pinion make a good ratio, or is it kinda high for bashing?

I’ve definitely had a blast on my new typhon, but am also looking forward to some setup changes, especially to make it more horizontally stable. I think I’ll try to get some extended hexes and just use those to run proline trencher 2.8s that I have.
Or maybe I’ll need to get Kraton hubs too. Not really sure.
Had issues where my 2x3s packs were too tall, got the rear posts sorted by moving them up and only using one screw but the front is a pain. Will either print something to facilitate or just exclusively use my new 6s packs that are coming in.
Do you think trenchers would be good on the platform?
These are the tires I have. Will also need to go from 12 to 17mm hex.
https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...-tires-mounted-12mm-blk-raid-2/PRO117010.html

Last edited:
Awesome, man! Rig looks so good.
That’s a Kraton chassis right?

Have been running 6s on mine, doesn’t feel too powerful, may gear up slightly, but not until I get a motor fan 😂

Does the stock high speed pinion make a good ratio, or is it kinda high for bashing?

I’ve definitely had a blast on my new typhon, but am also looking forward to some setup changes, especially to make it more horizontally stable. I think I’ll try to get some extended hexes and just use those to run proline trencher 2.8s that I have.
Or maybe I’ll need to get Kraton hubs too. Not really sure.
Had issues where my 2x3s packs were too tall, got the rear posts sorted by moving them up and only using one screw but the front is a pain. Will either print something to facilitate or just exclusively use my new 6s packs that are coming in.
Do you think trenchers would be good on the platform?
These are the tires I have. Will also need to go from 12 to 17mm hex.
https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...-tires-mounted-12mm-blk-raid-2/PRO117010.html

haven't tried them. I want to... need the 12mm>17mm hex adapters, the plastic ones seem to suck. The metal ones are $75+ for a set of adapters then $90+ set for tires... Ive had good luck with some of the dBoots tires. On sale or from Jenny.

Those Trencher 2.8s are 124 X 73mm! The dBoots Fortress are 138 X 42mm. The wider tires don't fit without hub extension and even then its tight. the 42mm narrow tires are perfect. The dBoots Katar (stock Typhon 6S) is 117 X 44mm.
The dBoot Katar belted 6S (Talion) are 146mm X 57mm and they don't really fit, too wide.
My Typhon likes the narrower buggy-like tires, it's apart of its character for sure.
Or as an alternative you can run a Hoon Street tire. Which you can't do on a Kraton realistically.

Id say anything around 125mm diameter X 45mm range is that next step down in size from a Kraton/Talion or Notorious size rig which are in that 150-175mm range. 8S tires go from 200-225+ mm diameter.

I wanted to try the Pro-line Racing 1/8 Road Rage 3.8" MT Tires which are 139mm x 84mm street tires. But the 84mm wide is crazy-wide!
I also want to try the Pro-line Racing 1/8 Avenger HP belted S3 compound. They're 43 mm width, 106 mm diameter. Like a Hoon which is 107mm X 53mm.

Im finding that the wider and heavy/spongy truck tires make the Typhon shift side to side at speed. Gets very sketchy, fast and uncontrollable.
Even the Hoon 107s when its Hot out get sketchy that way. The Gold compound is unusable when its warm out. Gets out of control real fast! I had them on today but it was cool out and they were grabbing Nicely! The White compound Hoons are perfect in the spring and summer but when it's cool they are too hard - and then we do doughnuts allot. Tornado spins.

Tires are FUN! They are so different and the 6S Typhon brings out the differences well.

I had fun with the 3S Typhon today. Ran the dBoots Exabyte (stock 6S Typhon TLR) tires on it I just got. And I had the Hoon 100's on it (100 X 45mm) but Anything larger just suck on it. Even the Hoon 107 isn't right, to wide and sticky for the 3S, forget about a big truck tires. They just sucks on a 3S Typhon and overheat the motor and ESC.
I tried the Exabyte's on the 6S Typhon and it just ATE THEM UP! We did tornado spins! Not okay. I can't imagine they ship them with a TLR but I guess the guys running TLRs are on tracks with 4S power and not bashing at all. These Exabyte's suck for bashing, I can see that clearly.

Sorry for all the Numbers and math 😁 🤣 But it really ALL COMES DOWN to the math. Mostly. I think.

haven't tried them. I want to... need the 12mm>17mm hex adapters, the plastic ones seem to suck. The metal ones are $75+ for a set of adapters then $90+ set for tires... Ive had good luck with some of the dBoots tires. On sale or from Jenny.

Those Trencher 2.8s are 124 X 73mm! The dBoots Fortress are 138 X 42mm. The wider tires don't fit without hub extension and even then its tight. the 42mm narrow tires are perfect. The dBoots Katar (stock Typhon 6S) is 117 X 44mm.
The dBoot Katar belted 6S (Talion) are 146mm X 57mm and they don't really fit, too wide.
My Typhon likes the narrower buggy-like tires, it's apart of its character for sure.
Or as an alternative you can run a Hoon Street tire. Which you can't do on a Kraton realistically.

Id say anything around 125mm diameter X 45mm range is that next step down in size from a Kraton/Talion or Notorious size rig which are in that 150-175mm range. 8S tires go from 200-225+ mm diameter.

I wanted to try the Pro-line Racing 1/8 Road Rage 3.8" MT Tires which are 139mm x 84mm street tires. But the 84mm wide is crazy-wide!
I also want to try the Pro-line Racing 1/8 Avenger HP belted S3 compound. They're 43 mm width, 106 mm diameter. Like a Hoon which is 107mm X 53mm.

Im finding that the wider and heavy/spongy truck tires make the Typhon shift side to side at speed. Gets very sketchy, fast and uncontrollable.
Even the Hoon 107s when its Hot out get sketchy that way. The Gold compound is unusable when its warm out. Gets out of control real fast! I had them on today but it was cool out and they were grabbing Nicely! The White compound Hoons are perfect in the spring and summer but when it's cool they are too hard - and then we do doughnuts allot. Tornado spins.

Tires are FUN! They are so different and the 6S Typhon brings out the differences well.

I had fun with the 3S Typhon today. Ran the dBoots Exabyte (stock 6S Typhon TLR) tires on it I just got. And I had the Hoon 100's on it (100 X 45mm) but Anything larger just suck on it. Even the Hoon 107 isn't right, to wide and sticky for the 3S, forget about a big truck tires. They just sucks on a 3S Typhon and overheat the motor and ESC.
I tried the Exabyte's on the 6S Typhon and it just ATE THEM UP! We did tornado spins! Not okay. I can't imagine they ship them with a TLR but I guess the guys running TLRs are on tracks with 4S power and not bashing at all. These Exabyte's suck for bashing, I can see that clearly.

Sorry for all the Numbers and math 😁 🤣 But it really ALL COMES DOWN to the math. Mostly. I think.
awesome man, love the options this car has.

Would you recommend going up to the high speed gearing? I’m looking for a bit more air response and punch. Maybe I just need bigger tires! 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back