Typhon What to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoney

Reaction score
Hey forum! I have a Kraton 6s that I really like, but I’m selling my slash 4x4 and am looking for a rig to replace it.
Initially I figured I should go with a 3s car (granite) but now I’m wondering if I should try to find a used or even new typhon/outcast 6s. I’m looking for something that is super touchy on the throttle, capable of flipping easily, and still handles well, qualities that my Kraton does not possess. Is the typhon 6s decent for stunts, or is the outcast just king?

Kind of ruled out 4s line bc of their price and the fact that I don’t have any packs. I feel like, for the price, 6s is much better.

Could anyone provide me some guidance? Thanks!

Hey forum! I have a Kraton 6s that I really like, but I’m selling my slash 4x4 and am looking for a rig to replace it.
Initially I figured I should go with a 3s car (granite) but now I’m wondering if I should try to find a used or even new typhon/outcast 6s. I’m looking for something that is super touchy on the throttle, capable of flipping easily, and still handles well, qualities that my Kraton does not possess. Is the typhon 6s decent for stunts, or is the outcast just king?

Kind of ruled out 4s line bc of their price and the fact that I don’t have any packs. I feel like, for the price, 6s is much better.

I am not a jumper, but to answer part of the question, if you want something different, as you stated... Typhon.

I do not do stunts or jumping with mine. I do not see it as a stunt rig like the Kraton, although I know people do send them. It is super versatile, fun, and different from what you have. I do not find it super touchy on the trigger. Over time we should learn throttle control with our finger. With ESC setting changes, pinion, and gearing you can make it as touchy as you like.

Best of luck with a pick (y)

I am not a jumper, but to answer part of the question, if you want something different, as you stated... Typhon.

I do not do stunts or jumping with mine. I do not see it as a stunt rig like the Kraton, although I know people do send them. It is super versatile, fun, and different from what you have. I do not find it super touchy on the trigger. Over time we should learn throttle control with our finger. With ESC setting changes, pinion, and gearing you can make it as touchy as you like.

Best of luck with a pick (y)
Compared to kraton and typhon, how do you like your granite, and bigrock? Thanks!

In stock form the Typhon 6s does not stunt very well, you would essentially have to turn in into a Notorious 6s anyway to get it to stunt so I say just go with the Noto. Avoid the 3s/4s cars like a hand grenade dipped in aids, extremely overrated and much much worse than the Slash 4x4 from my own experience. The platform is plagued with issues that cannot be fixed just bandaided.

In stock form the Typhon 6s does not stunt very well, you would essentially have to turn in into a Notorious 6s anyway to get it to stunt so I say just go with the Noto. Avoid the 3s/4s cars like a hand grenade dipped in aids, extremely overrated and much much worse than the Slash 4x4 from my own experience. The platform is plagued with issues that cannot be fixed just bandaided.
Super interesting. Specifically, what's wrong with them? Everywhere I see, people are loving theirs
I've also been really discontent with my slash. Can't even go a pack, let alone a sendy pack, without snapping an arm or a hub stub axle

Get a 6S Typhon!

I stretched mine and lowered the shock towers (Talion) and stiffed them up but that was for street bashing.
It's a Beast with 4 wheels!
I can run Hoons, Mohave tires, Talion Tires. And it's different with each.
Loads of fun.
And it's Still a Buggy!

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3433.jpeg

Runs in the 70's over that grass field. 80-100 on pavement (depending on tires) I broke a 100mph with it.

IMG_3814 copy.jpg

IMG_4721.jpeg

The Cat LOVES the Cars! Seriously loves them.

IMG_3321.jpeg

Super interesting. Specifically, what's wrong with them? Everywhere I see, people are loving theirs

I've also been really discontent with my slash. Can't even go a pack, let alone a sendy pack, without snapping an arm or a hub stub axle

Basically everything, the shock towers being integrated into the upper bulkhead, the lower bulkhead being integrated into the chassis, the steering bell crank not having a built in servo saver, the chassis are too thin and crack easily, the unconventional pot metal slipper assembly and the motor module that traps dirt inside itself killing all of the bearings in the slipper and motor.

Traxxas HD or Rpm a arms and Traxxas HD axles from the Hoss, the stock arms and driveshafts are not that great.

I have a monster Slash 4x4 and it spends almost zero time on the bench. The Slash may have it's own issues but at least you can fix them without having to just band aid the problem.
Not really stock.
Rpm Front a arms.
Traxxas HD rear a arms.
Traxxas HD rear driveshafts.
eBay front driveshafts.
Kingheadz Motor mount.
Tekno Big Bone center driveshaft.
Traxxas GTR shocks with VG Racing springs.
eBay 25kg servo
Hex10 esc
eBay 3665 3100kv motor.
Hoss center diff with aluminum diff cup.
Hoss front and rear bumpers.
GPM front hubs and bearing supported c hubs.
Hot Racing rear hubs.
Hot Racing 17mm +6mm hexes.
1687662388487.jpeg

1687662460275.jpeg

Basically everything, the shock towers being integrated into the upper bulkhead, the lower bulkhead being integrated into the chassis, the steering bell crank not having a built in servo saver, the chassis are too thin and crack easily, the unconventional pot metal slipper assembly and the motor module that traps dirt inside itself killing all of the bearings in the slipper and motor.

Traxxas HD or Rpm a arms and Traxxas HD axles from the Hoss, the stock arms and driveshafts are not that great.

I have a monster Slash 4x4 and it spends almost zero time on the bench. The Slash may have it's own issues but at least you can fix them without having to just band aid the problem.

View attachment 307706

View attachment 307707
I feel like the arrma 6s line has its major flaws too, but they’re mostly due to the weight of the trucks. Chassis, shock tower, driveshaft bending, diff issues, plastic bulkheads, etc.

Thank you a ton for the valuable help. I think I’ll go with a typhon, or maybe a notorious. 🤙

Last edited:
I feel like the arrma 6s line has its major flaws too, but they’re mostly due to the weight of the trucks. Chassis, shock tower, driveshaft bending, diff issues, plastic bulkheads, etc.

Thank you a ton for the valuable help. I think I’ll go with a typhon, or maybe still a 3s arrma, despite its flaws. Will need to do more research for sure 👍

Yes the 6s line has its own issues but you can at least fix them. Under normal driving conditions none of those things are actually design flaws, if you go full Kevin Talbot on it sure the chassis, shock towers and driveshafts will bend on every single 1/8th scale truggy on the planet. 99.9% of the diff issues with the 6s line are user error. I would have to double check but I am almost 100% sure that my Outcast 6s has had the same diffs in it since 2019. The 3s/4s line there is no fix for all of the stupid design decisions that went into the platform only band aids. Every rc car has its own issues, I have never had a single car that didn't have some sort of issue with it. But when said issues cannot be fixed or remedied then I try to avoid those platforms.

Last edited:

Thank you a ton for the valuable help. I think I’ll go with a typhon, or maybe still a 3s arrma, despite its flaws. Will need to do more research for sure 👍
none of these are really 6s Arrma issues. my kraton gets sent and the only thing I've ever needed is alu bulkheads and that's only because I suck at front flips 🤣. I agree with slick, the 3s typhon and 4s kraton my biggest regrets and if I could go back I'd never buy them. Much better off buying 6s and running it on 4s if you want to do that. The typhon 6s is actually amazing on 4s 😎

Flaws?
They're all Flawed!

$ for $ the 6S is likely the least flawed.

Weight? Make it light, it breaks. Make it strong and it's heavier.

I have a 3S. Its fun but it's plastic crap mostly. Make it better?

Just get a 6S and spend what you want. But if you remove the "flaws" then you are going to spend a few thousand dollars on it - with any of them.

Nothing is cheap or free in life. You get what you pay for.

I always felt 6s line offered way more bang for the buck. So I only run the 6s line here for this reason. Yeah the 4S 4x4 line is just too close in price to the 6s line IMHO. Is just an overpowered 3s 4x4 IMHO. Way beyond a 4x4 platform limits.
Consider The RTR 6s Typhon or The 6s Noto. I have both. The mature mainstream platform with more numerous support parts available. They will round out your collection nicely, along with your K6S.
My TLRT Typhon I prefer 4s running. And sometimes I will even run 4s in my other 6s rigs. To change it up a bit. But I have many lipos here. A big RC investment by itself. I know.

I always felt 6s line offered way more bang for the buck. So I only run the 6s line here for this reason. Yeah the 4S 4x4 line is just too close in price to the 6s line IMHO. Is just an overpowered 3s 4x4 IMHO. Way beyond a 4x4 platform limits.
Consider The RTR 6s Typhon or The 6s Noto. I have both. The mature mainstream platform with more numerous support parts available. They will round out your collection nicely, along with your K6S.
My TLRT Typhon I prefer 4s running. And sometimes I will even run 4s in my other 6s rigs. To change it up a bit. But I have many lipos here. A big RC investment by itself. I know.
Sweet, thanks man !!
Yes the 6s line has its own issues but you can at least fix them. Under normal driving conditions none of those things are actually design flaws, if you go full Kevin Talbot on it sure the chassis, shock towers and driveshafts will bend on every single 1/8th scale truggy on the planet. 99.9% of the diff issues with the 6s line are user error. I would have to double check but I am almost 100% sure that my Outcast 6s has had the same diffs in it since 2019. The 3s/4s line there is no fix for all of the stupid design decisions that went into the platform only band aids. Every rc car has its own issues, I have never had a single car that didn't have some sort of issue with it. But when said issues cannot be fixed or remedied then I try to avoid those platforms.
Thanks so much. Definitely going to go with another 6s rig!! Stoked!

The Team Corally Skeeter and Traxxas Maxx are much better options if you want a 4s truck, with the Maxx being the most durable but worst handling out of the box.

Thanks man !
Another question - how are the spektrum electronics on the new RTR rigs? Are the radios/receivers adequate, or should I plan on changing immediately? TIA !

Compared to kraton and typhon, how do you like your granite, and bigrock? Thanks!
I love my Granite and Big Rock. The Granite was my second rig, with the Infraction v1 as the first.

The Big Rock & Granite hold their own in the 3S arena. When I tried to go beyond that with upgrades, it got costly....I put it back and got a Kraton next.

In comparison, they are different from the 3S vs 6S Kraton & Typhon. Nevertheless, the 3S rigs are SUPER fun and are monsters in a little 1/10 scale. I will not sell my 3S rigs.

My only dislike with the 3S and it is shared by many....no center diff....the damn slipper can be friendly, or it can be a pain in the ass when it gets out of scope, service, or issues. It has taken me a lot to learn the slipper, and I am not a pro still, but I hate to touch it. When it is good....the 3S rigs rock!

Thanks man !
Another question - how are the spektrum electronics on the new RTR rigs? Are the radios/receivers adequate, or should I plan on changing immediately? TIA !
Good question. The right one to ask.
Get a Radiolink radio RC4GS from amz $60., a DS3235 35 kg Servo, amz $34, A a good fan and Fan Mount for the motor , Front and rear ALLOYED Chassis braces, any brand depending on your wallet is fine. And you should be good for quite a while. Need to look over all 3 diffs and top them off with Silicone oil. They're usually low on oil. Like 99% of the time! That spells an earlier demise if you don't check them first. Anyone well into their 2nd 6s rig will know to do this from experience going forward with any Arrma model or other brand RTR.
Spektrum radios are just basic RTR stuff, the included servo. (n) You will enjoy driving way better with a Real Radio and a Stronger servo, hands down. The only way to drive these 6s models. The multimodel Radiolink above is absolutely worth the investment. And a good price. Is much faster reponding (better latency specs) than the RTR Spektrums radios. Considering radios will go as a high as $1K. And all prices in between, The RC4GS is not $tragic$ and gets the job done well.
Crappy RTR radios tend to handicap my driving skills IMHO. Took me 35+ years with RC to understand that. The best RC driving skills happen when you have that one good radio, with all your models on it. Then it's is easier to drive all your models at an expert level while being very comfortable with that one radio.

Last edited:
Thanks man !
You get different answers. Spektrum is a hit or miss...for me being more than 85% good. This varies as you get more feedback.

If at all possible, I like only two of the Firma ESCs in my rigs. Put Firma 130A in my 3S rigs. I put the Firma 160A ESC in my 6S rigs. If I do not use a Firma ESC in my 6S.... HW (that is a different subject and not due to any failure by Spektrum)

I have been in the hobby since 2020, and I have 9 Arrma rigs from 3S to 6S. I've had one bad Firma 150A ESC and one failed AVC 6100 receiver...well, I think two.

I like the DX3 radios best or the SLT3... I currently use a DX5C.

For ME, the Spektrum stuff has been good...But you will also hear the flip side others have had it bad!

Absolutely agree on fans and diffs. Definitely learned that with my first rig. Immediate attention, or you’ll break and burn stuff out. I have a tactic radio from my K6s, maybe I could just get an RX for the new rig and use the same radio? Are the motors and esc’s good on them now? Thanks.
Get a Radiolink radio RC4GS from amz $60., a DS3235 35 kg Servo, amz $34, A a good fan and Fan Mount for the motor , Front and rear ALLOYED Chassis braces, any brand depending on your wallet is fine. And you should be good for quite a while. Need to look over all 3 diffs and top them off with Silicone oil. They're usually low on oil. Like 99% of the time! That spells an earlier demise if you don't check them first. Anyone well into their 2nd 6s rig will know to do this from experience going forward with any Arrma model or other brand RTR.
Spektrum radios are just basic RTR stuff, the included servo. (n) You will enjoy driving way better with a Real Radio and a Stronger servo, hands down. The only way to drive these 6s models. The multimodel Radiolink above is absolutely worth the investment. And a good price. Is much faster reponding (better latency specs) than the RTR Spektrums radios. Considering radios will go as a high as $1K. And all prices in between, The RC4GS is not $tragic$ and gets the job done well.
Crappy RTR radios tend to handicap my driving skills IMHO. Took me 35+ years with RC to understand that. The best RC driving skills happen when you have that one good radio, with all your models on it. Then it's is easier to drive all your models at an expert level while being very comfortable with that one radio

Crappy RTR radios tend to handicap my driving skills IMHO. Took me 35+ years with RC to understand that. The best RC driving skills happen when you have that one good radio, with all your models on it. Then it's is easier to drive all your models at an expert level while being very comfortable with that one radio.

Nothing wrong with the SLT3 radio, it seemed to be about the same as the TTX300 to me, much much much better than the STX2 radio, pretty much anything was better than that pos though. I refuse to buy any more of the 35kg Amazon servos I am 0 for 3 with those things, the 25kg servos I have so many of them and have never had a failure so I don't get what the heck the deal is with those 35kg units. Heck my $200 Kraton came with one of the 25kg units and that thing while a bit slow and underpowered works like a champ.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back