What did you buy today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to love the Amazon discounts

View attachment 356884
Top notch man. I do love me some Knipex pliers/side cutters/flush cutters/just about anything they make. They work exceptionally well, they're comfortable and ergonomic to use and they're super robust. You keep them forever, just like luggage and herpes.

So I uh did a thing.

1711419574237.png

Bought a piece of plexiglass to try and fabricate an ESC mount out of. Also bought another Ram body for my Kraton b/c I absolutely hate the way the first one came out using Traxxas paints.

View attachment 356859
Plexiglass will work but not for long even on a 1/10th scale it cracks really easily.

Now I'm off to spend more on filament than I did the printer :ROFLMAO:
lol, yeah. To be fair though, it's amazing for what prices you can get 3D printers these days. They've come a long way in a relatively short amount of time if you think back to when they first hit the market.

You should sandwich it between two thin CF sheets with epoxy (I'm even thinking that something really thin like 0.2mm CF sheet would do the job and that wouldn't even cost you much at all). That should add just enough strength to keep the acrylic in one piece (or however many pieces it was intended to be made of). Just some food for thought.

You should sandwich it between two thin CF sheets with epoxy (I'm even thinking that something really thin like 0.2mm CF sheet would do the job and that wouldn't even cost you much at all). That should add just enough strength to keep the acrylic in one piece (or however many pieces it was intended to be made of). Just some food for thought.
Carbon fiber works well for esc mounting plates. I have had the Basherqueen cf esc mount in my Kraton 6s EXB for a couple of years now without issues.

Carbon fiber works well for esc mounting plates. I have had the Basherqueen cf esc mount in my Kraton 6s EXB for a couple of years now without issues.
You have a 3D printer now - you’ll never buy another ESC plate.

Yeah, CF is perfect for applications like that (and many more obviously). I started doing my own CF layups about two months ago and I'm well pleased with the results. I'm just using stuff most people probably have somewhere in the house and the final product is really, really strong. Now, is it going to compete with professional grade Toray 3K carbon fiber that you get from people like David at Scorched? Of course not. I don't have the kind of press you'd need to that kind of density but , these are some sheets I made using one of those kitchen vacuum devices for making sous vide or putting stuff in the freezer, two plexiglass plates to sandwich the CF between and a 50lb. block of plaster.

This is a single layer of 400g/m² carbon cloth. That'll give you a flexible sheet of CF @0.38mm. I think if you were to epoxy this to both sides of an acrylic sheet, that should make it quite durable.
1711431557974.jpeg
1711431600046.jpeg

And this piece is 8-ply 400g/m² carbon cloth which yields a bone hard 3mm plate.
1711431763623.jpeg
1711431787131.jpeg

@305HemiGuy, if you want to skip the plexiglass ESC mount, I can send you this 3mm plate. Overall dimensions are approx. 190x130mm, that should be more than enough for the purpose. No money. If you're interested, shoot me a PM. I'll just need your name and address and whether you'd prefer a matte finish or high gloss as it still needs one last shot of lacquer. Lemme know. :)

Yeah, CF is perfect for applications like that (and many more obviously). I started doing my own CF layups about two months ago and I'm well pleased with the results. I'm just using stuff most people probably have somewhere in the house and the final product is really, really strong. Now, is it going to compete with professional grade Toray 3K carbon fiber that you get from people like David at Scorched? Of course not. I don't have the kind of press you'd need to that kind of density but , these are some sheets I made using one of those kitchen vacuum devices for making sous vide or putting stuff in the freezer, two plexiglass plates to sandwich the CF between and a 50lb. block of plaster.

This is a single layer of 400g/m² carbon cloth. That'll give you a flexible sheet of CF @0.38mm. I think if you were to epoxy this to both sides of an acrylic sheet, that should make it quite durable.
View attachment 356949View attachment 356950

And this piece is 8-ply 400g/m² carbon cloth which yields a bone hard 3mm plate.
View attachment 356951View attachment 356952

@305HemiGuy, if you want to skip the plexiglass ESC mount, I can send you this 3mm plate. Overall dimensions are approx. 190x130mm, that should be more than enough for the purpose. No money. If you're interested, shoot me a PM. I'll just need your name and address and whether you'd prefer a matte finish or high gloss as it still needs one last shot of lacquer. Lemme know. :)
You are right about gaining strength by just adding a thin layer of CF sheet. It's how I did my "splitter areodynamic thingy" so the Senton could keep the Limitless front end and maybe, just maybe improve the air flow of the brick wall the Senton has up front.
20231121_214547.jpg

Here's some perspective: this was formed with cardboard and insulative foam.
20240326_035809.jpg
20240326_035800.jpg
20240326_035739.jpg
I made my shape to fit the splitter clips I installed while being held down by the lights. Locks in tight. Once I had that, I traced out the shapes of the 6 pieces on some .5mm CF plate. This CF plate was so thin I easily cut it with a razor. Next I mixed up the epoxy, painted the frame with it and added the CF pieces while making sure there were lots it the corners. You just need to actually hold this and try to flex it to appreciate the strength the carbon fiber added here. And this is how thick it is:
20240326_040937.jpg
20240326_040922.jpg

whether you'd prefer a matte finish or high gloss as it still needs one last shot of lacquer.
Among the lessons I learned with CF is to always leave the clear coat until you are done all cuts and have drilled all holes. Because it will scratch up, even if you tape it off. Running water and the finest wet paper you can get give the best results.

Top notch man. I do love me some Knipex pliers/side cutters/flush cutters/just about anything they make. They work exceptionally well, they're comfortable and ergonomic to use and they're super robust. You keep them forever, just like luggage and herpes.
Yes I have quite the collection of Knipex these days. At Home and work. I don't mind spending money on them knowing their quality. Especially when they are on sale.
I've never broken one. Worn them out from lots of use, yes. The Knipex pliers and cutters are better than Snap-on or any other brand I've used.

The rear wheels rub on the frame or arms of the rear axle just a bit if you steer to hard- that's my only beef with it, but other than that, solid crawler. Do you have a recommendation for what kind of tires to run? Part numbers are helpful.
I will ask him what he was using. If you're gonna go on dry rocks get something nice and sticky. What he was running was more for dirt and mud.

Back