Typhon typhon motor upgrade path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diegov88

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
hi folks I have two scenarios on a motor upgrade path of an arrma typhon that I am in need of your help:

3670 2750kv motor on 3s 11.1v
18t pinion/ 57t spur
30550 rpm
vs

3674 2500kv motor on 3s 11.1v
20t pinion/ 57t spur
27750 rpm

both gives same top speed, I assume the larger motor has. more torque but with bigger gearing generate more heat
what would be more efficient or better?

They'll both be pretty similar. A 74mm length motor is only 6% longer than a 70mm, so you could expect a similar, minor upgrade in performance. Larger motors do handle heat better, so expect the 3674 to be slightly better when it comes to handling heat.

If they're both the same manufacturer, then I'd say it comes down to price. Generally the difference is that 3674 motors tend to be $5 to 10 more than the 3670, which doesn't pan out to hold the same value. In summary, either is going to be a great upgrade. Choose the one your wallet permits. 3670 if you want to save a slight bit of weight and a little bit of money, and spend a little more for the 3674 if you want the slightly better performance and heat handling.

They'll both be pretty similar. A 74mm length motor is only 6% longer than a 70mm, so you could expect a similar, minor upgrade in performance. Larger motors do handle heat better, so expect the 3674 to be slightly better when it comes to handling heat.

If they're both the same manufacturer, then I'd say it comes down to price. Generally the difference is that 3674 motors tend to be $5 to 10 more than the 3670, which doesn't pan out to hold the same value. In summary, either is going to be a great upgrade. Choose the one your wallet permits. 3670 if you want to save a slight bit of weight and a little bit of money, and spend a little more for the 3674 if you want the slightly better performance and heat handling.
thank you for your reply mate, the price is practically the same, my goal is having longer runtime and less heat, which motor and gearing combo do you think would give. more runtime?

thank you for your reply mate, the price is practically the same, my goal is having longer runtime and less heat, which motor and gearing combo do you think would give. more runtime?

Keep an eye on the motor plate. Any time you increase the size of the motor there is more opportunities for it to bend. Maybe pickup a 4s motor plate as they made those thicker to accomodate the larger motor. M2C and HR also make a nice upgrade.

Theoretically, since the 3670 is smaller, it's overall potential power is lower, so it would likely pull slightly less power thus draining your batteries slower (if geared for the same speed as the 3674). In reality though, i expect the difference between run times in these two motors to not be very noticeable.

Got the 3670 2650kv in my BRCC. 57 spur and 18T pinion. Run cooler with lots of low end torque. A few parts did break initially...input gear and had to change the driveshaft as u joints kept popping out.
I imagine with an arrma. typhon 3s with a correct slipper clutch setting it will not break any drivetrain parts, I already upgraded the 3s typhon to 4s metal diffs, metal slipper and metal spur and with the potential slip of the clutch when things get hairy I expect the drivetrain will be saved

I imagine with an arrma. typhon 3s with a correct slipper clutch setting it will not break any drivetrain parts, I already upgraded the 3s typhon to 4s metal diffs, metal slipper and metal spur and with the potential slip of the clutch when things get hairy I expect the drivetrain will be saved
You have covered the weak points, should be fine. Forgot to mention above..I upgraded to 17mm hex and 150mm tires. The cause of my problems but the BRCC looks cool :cool:

Back