Vorteks Best upgrade motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do y’all think the best motor to upgrade the Vorteks to while still staying 3s?
Links are welcomed!!!
Welcome...

I have one but geared down slow for my 5-year-old grandbaby girl. What I have seen in some videos is that it flies.

Looking for more speed or keeping the same speed but keeping the motor cooler, etc...what's your goal?

Welcome...

I have one but geared down slow for my 5-year-old grandbaby girl. What I have seen in some videos is that it flies.

Looking for more speed or keeping the same speed but keeping the motor cooler, etc...what's your goal?
Little more power without having to change esc

@Irish Assassin I like what dure16 posted.

I installed it in a 3S like yours, but my Big Rock is the older version of the same engine:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-3670-4-pole-brushless-sensorless-motor-waterproof.html

HobbyStar 3670 3050kv is what I added. I like the older ribbed motor; you can cool it better without a heatsink and mount a fan to blow on it. I wanted to keep the same speed (I did get more speed tho) and less heat. I got that, but I did go up to a 15T pinion.

1710560623719.png

I recently tried a few setups for my Granite which included smaller tires which make it almost identical to a Vorteks.

For 3s with Vorteks tires, I think the stock motor and pinion is your best setup. Anything that runs faster, is going to run hotter. The stock setup is probably pretty close to the best balance.

For more speed and power than stock, while keeping temps reasonable, I’ve found a good setup, but it requires larger tires and in the end, 4s power.

Firma 2800 kv, Jennie’s sells them, so the price is great. And it’s a Firma, so it has the Safe-D motor shaft and pinion. https://jennysrc.com/products/losi-lmt-bog-hog-motor-spektrum-2800kv-brushless-los04024

But it’s lower kv than stock, so unless you increase tire size or power, it will be slower.

On 3s, stock ESC, it runs amazingly with an 18t pinion, but only if you switch to larger MT tires. The ESC can get a bit hot though.

If you also upgrade the ESC and battery to 4s, then you can keep the low profile Vorteks tires and this setup absolutely screams while keeping temps very reasonable. On 4s and MT tires, this setup is overpowered, runs cool, and is freaking amazing.

So I love this setup. I can switch from MT tires to SC/stadium truck tires, 3s to 4s, without swapping pinions or motors.

So not exactly what you wanted to hear. To go faster, and not run hotter, you need 4s.

Last edited:
I got the 3670 2650kv in the Big Rock on 18T. Good low end smooth power. I could have geared up but went with bigger tires instead, 150mm on hex 17. Runs well. Had to upgrade drive shaft as rear u-joints kept popping out.

I got the 3670 2650kv in the Big Rock on 18T. Good low end smooth power. I could have geared up but went with bigger tires instead, 150mm on hex 17. Runs well. Had to upgrade drive shaft as rear u-joints kept popping out.
Can you please send me the link for the drive shafts I’m having the same problem with the vorteks on stock everything

Back