trouble picking the right RC car for my needs...Typhon issues..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have tried 3s on 6s rigs, it does work but....

Feeling Old Season 8 GIF by The Simpsons

If you have matched 2s and 3s batteries you may be able to use them in series (4s and 6s).
That is too funny. :ROFLMAO:

ok that's great to know....i'll probably just get some batteries whenever I have the money saved up to buy everything....that's being said....

what batteries do ya'll recommend for the Typhon 6s? I really hate having to change batteries every 10-15 minutes. I'd rather just get something that will run a good amount of time.

Are there any major pros/cons to using two 3s batteries in series over buying one 6s battery?

None.
If you have good working 3S batteries, then there's nothing wrong with going this route.

No need to spend more money on getting single 6S.

I currently have one of these...if I buy another one, and solder on some EC5 connectors, will this fit and work? or is there a better option to go with?

I have a bunch of other 3s batteries, but they are small 2000mah for my Hyper Go cars and they have Deans connectors...

I have one of these

and if anyone is curious as to why my 3s Typhon broke this last time...here's a video of the ruined pinion gear and a video of my metal spur gear..i'm assuming neither of these should have back and forth play like that...

Pinion Gear

Spur Gear

So your pinion was loose (grub screw loose) and also way worn out. It is a normal wear and tear item.

The second video, that play is mostly normal but what I see right away is some up/down movement which means your bearings are toast or something else is causing that movement.

Sealing the power module helps reduce wear on the pinion/spur/bearings/motor bearings.

So your pinion was loose (grub screw loose) and also way worn out. It is a normal wear and tear item.

The second video, that play is mostly normal but what I see right away is some up/down movement which means your bearings are toast or something else is causing that movement.

Sealing the power module helps reduce wear on the pinion/spur/bearings/motor bearings.
ok thanks for the detailed response....

so this all happened after the 5th run ever..haha....maybe 6th...I forget...it wasn't used much at all. First the spur gear stripped (which apparently is pretty common), so I put the metal slipper clutch assembly in and made sure the mesh was set right...and after 2-3 more runs, i heard some grinding and stopped driving it immediately...when I got home, I found what you see in the videos. I guess it's possible that when the spur gear stripped, it could have damaged the pinion gear...who knows..I don't...I just thought that it was pretty unacceptable for this "bulletproof" car to break twice that easily, so I'm hoping the 6s is a bit tougher. Again...I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it. No crazy jumps..I just want to go fast sideways and kick up dirt in some nearby parks.

It is usually dust and sand that takes them out pretty quick.

We have several packs in on our last full 3s rebuild and when I checked the power module it looked great (plastic stock spur, fresh stock pinion).

The stock pinions are pretty soft metal so with the upgraded metal spur it's understandable it would not last too long. (Plus dirt/grit/sand will wear them down)

The Typhon is a low slung burnout machine so I am sure it threw debris in the chassis to be sucked into the power module.

Here is what I would reccomend.

1. Get all new bearings for the power module/slipper
2. New pinion (Robinson, Techno, or Saga brands are better)
3. Check motor bearing (it might have been taken out)
4. Set the slipper properly (lots of youtube videos on this).
5. Either seal the power module or cut a hole in the bottom of the chassis to let debris out (search the forum on this)
6. Ensure proper gear mesh

With the amount of people that have trouble with the 3s power modules this forum could really use a sticky on this.

Good luck!

Last edited:
oh I already returned that thing...It was the second one I had and both broke almost immediately..meanwhile my Hyper Go 1:14 car is a cock roach and doesn't even seem breakable..it's been submerged in salt water 3 times..no issues..haha...I don't want to deal with all of that....the Typhon 3s is 330 and then all that extra time and money modding it isn't something I'm interested in doing. I work a lot and already have too many time and money consuming hobbies. I'd rather just buy the 6s for less than 200 dollars more since it's faster and seems all around better in every single way.

The sandy west coast of Florida and the Typhon 3s do not mix apparently. It's pretty impossible to avoid sand where I'm at. I always blow out my Hyper Go cars after I use them and they just work and work and work. The Typhon 3s broke almost every time I used it. That's not something I want to deal with. Otherwise, it was totally awesome to drive....just not really that tough.

I think what I'll end up doing is buying the Typhon 6s and the Amazon 2 year replacement plan where they cover accidental damage. I figure that will give me 2 years of worry free playing. It's hard enough keeping my real-life full scale cars running. haha.

We have tried 3s on 6s rigs, it does work but....

Feeling Old Season 8 GIF by The Simpsons

If you have matched 2s and 3s batteries you may be able to use them in series (4s and 6s).
Nothing wrong with running them on 3s .just a bit slow and under powered.
I let my oldest daughter get used to running my Mojaves on 3s. 6s for a Mojave is just too much in rough terrain imo. 6s and a 4985 motor and current gearing, make for almost 70 mph. We get best results and a nicer experience running on 4s. 45 to 50 mph is plenty, more controllable, more reliable and less prone to insane crashes and cartwheels and damage.

does anyone have a recommendation for batteries? I've read some things about the tray not being overly huge. I would like to get as much run time as possible...I wasn't sure what mah and c rating I should shoot for....

Ok so I had 2 different Typhon 3s's, and I loved them, except they kept breaking so I finally gave up. The first one I had kept going into low power mode, so I exchanged it for another one. Then the second one stripped the spur gear after the 3rd time. I installed an Arrma branded metal slipper clutch assembly, and then after a few runs that stripped my pinion gear. I got fed up and returned the car last week. I want to clarify, I'm not doing anything wild with these cars. I simply like ripping them around my local park once a week. No jumping...just flinging dirt around and going fast in big circles. That's the extend of the abuse. Arrma's support wasn't very helpful at all with either of these situations...so I was going to give up on Arrma, but I decided to forget that since I really like the Typhon. It handles awesome and it's so fun. So should I

1. Get another Typhon 3s and build it up to not break every time it's mildly windy...
2. Get a Typhon 6s and run it on 3s or 4s (essentially never abusing the car since i'm running it below it's potential)
3. Or should I forget the Typhon or Arrma cars altogether and try something else...

I just want something that isn't going to break constantly. Since I'm not doing anything wild with it, I kind fo expect a high quality "indestructable" RC car to work most of the time...or am I simply dreaming? I'm new to this hobby, but I do have 2 Hyper Go cars that seem like they are impossible to break. I figured the Arrma car would be even better.

Does Toyota make RC cars? haha..

thanks in advance...
Typhon 6s then u have best of both worlds,u can bye kraton hubs ,bigger tyers keeps it off the ground or u can speed run,it's versitile little car

20240128_115700.jpg

20231028_122839.jpg

Typhon 6s then u have best of both worlds,u can bye kraton hubs ,bigger tyers keeps it off the ground or u can speed run,it's versitile little car

View attachment 349794

View attachment 349795

yes I was actually planning on doing something similar with my Typhon 3s before it broke again. I know with the Typhon 3s that Proline Trenchers 2.8 tires will fit on it without any modification...is the same true for the 6s? if so i'll probably just grab those tires and put them on whenever I want to rip through some taller grass or whatever..

View attachment 349794

View attachment 349795
I just noticed that you have a cat eye light on the front of your car..haha..that's awesome..how does that work for ya?

yes I was actually planning on doing something similar with my Typhon 3s before it broke again. I know with the Typhon 3s that Proline Trenchers 2.8 tires will fit on it without any modification...is the same true for the 6s? if so i'll probably just grab those tires and put them on whenever I want to rip through some taller grass or whatever..

I just noticed that you have a cat eye light on the front of your car..haha..that's awesome..how does that work for ya?
The larger tires will just wear out your 3s Typhon that much faster. 💥 . 6s will be very tough.:cool:

Its a bike light works good red one on the back .lol

Back