trouble picking the right RC car for my needs...Typhon issues..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91rtstealth

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Ok so I had 2 different Typhon 3s's, and I loved them, except they kept breaking so I finally gave up. The first one I had kept going into low power mode, so I exchanged it for another one. Then the second one stripped the spur gear after the 3rd time. I installed an Arrma branded metal slipper clutch assembly, and then after a few runs that stripped my pinion gear. I got fed up and returned the car last week. I want to clarify, I'm not doing anything wild with these cars. I simply like ripping them around my local park once a week. No jumping...just flinging dirt around and going fast in big circles. That's the extend of the abuse. Arrma's support wasn't very helpful at all with either of these situations...so I was going to give up on Arrma, but I decided to forget that since I really like the Typhon. It handles awesome and it's so fun. So should I

1. Get another Typhon 3s and build it up to not break every time it's mildly windy...
2. Get a Typhon 6s and run it on 3s or 4s (essentially never abusing the car since i'm running it below it's potential)
3. Or should I forget the Typhon or Arrma cars altogether and try something else...

I just want something that isn't going to break constantly. Since I'm not doing anything wild with it, I kind fo expect a high quality "indestructable" RC car to work most of the time...or am I simply dreaming? I'm new to this hobby, but I do have 2 Hyper Go cars that seem like they are impossible to break. I figured the Arrma car would be even better.

Does Toyota make RC cars? haha..

thanks in advance...

If you want to stick with ARRMA, just get the Typhon 6S. It handles worlds better, a lot more durable, maintenance friendly and easy to work on.

You also don't have to deal with plastic powertrain (diffs, slipper, etc) - you're getting all metal this time. Just run it on 4S as it's already fast as is for its weight (8-9lbs).

You won't go back.

Ok so I had 2 different Typhon 3s's, and I loved them, except they kept breaking so I finally gave up. The first one I had kept going into low power mode, so I exchanged it for another one. Then the second one stripped the spur gear after the 3rd time. I installed an Arrma branded metal slipper clutch assembly, and then after a few runs that stripped my pinion gear. I got fed up and returned the car last week. I want to clarify, I'm not doing anything wild with these cars. I simply like ripping them around my local park once a week. No jumping...just flinging dirt around and going fast in big circles. That's the extend of the abuse. Arrma's support wasn't very helpful at all with either of these situations...so I was going to give up on Arrma, but I decided to forget that since I really like the Typhon. It handles awesome and it's so fun.

So should I

1. Get another Typhon 3s and build it up to not break every time it's mildly windy...
2. Get a Typhon 6s and run it on 3s or 4s (essentially never abusing the car since i'm running it below it's potential)
3. Or should I forget the Typhon or Arrma cars altogether and try something else...

1. You should consider their Kraton 4S v2.5 ,Maybe..

2. This is the Way to go in all honesty.
In fact, any of the Arrma 6S will do the trick. 👍

I just want something that isn't going to break constantly. Since I'm not doing anything wild with it, I kind fo expect a high quality "indestructable" RC car to work most of the time...or am I simply dreaming? I'm new to this hobby, but I do have 2 Hyper Go cars that seem like they are impossible to break. I figured the Arrma car would be even better.

thanks in advance...

If they did ,they should make their first RC as their LFA.

Ok so I had 2 different Typhon 3s's, and I loved them, except they kept breaking so I finally gave up. The first one I had kept going into low power mode, so I exchanged it for another one. Then the second one stripped the spur gear after the 3rd time. I installed an Arrma branded metal slipper clutch assembly, and then after a few runs that stripped my pinion gear. I got fed up and returned the car last week. I want to clarify, I'm not doing anything wild with these cars. I simply like ripping them around my local park once a week. No jumping...just flinging dirt around and going fast in big circles. That's the extend of the abuse. Arrma's support wasn't very helpful at all with either of these situations...so I was going to give up on Arrma, but I decided to forget that since I really like the Typhon. It handles awesome and it's so fun. So should I

thanks in advance...
Typhon 6s, all day long 3s is for kids

Get an Arrma 6s to start. Do not get a 3 or 4s. Maybe look into the Notorious. Its a stunt truck, It is so much fun. :cool:
20240219_092829_resized.jpg

I just bought this one recently. I think you can find one on this site. I paid $450 for mine. Stay away from the 3 or 4s. The 6s rigs have much better parts. Have fun. 🏁. You get what you pay for. Arrma 6s are the best.:cool:

Last edited:
how about the sledge?
The Sledge is my favorite. Problem is this. If He has a problem with a cheap Typhon, why send him to a very expensive Traxxas. Which is more complex in my opinion. Why not go with a great starter Arrma? Not a 3s but a 6s? Just my 2 cents. Off road? Typhon, Notto, Kraton. ??. What would you suggest?

I'd rather hear experience. I've already seen everything on the site (y)
So you are so experienced you can show me. :ROFLMAO:

I am sure you know a lot, never said you don't.
Sounds like you think I don't have experience?

Last edited:
The Sledge is my favorite. Problem is this. If He has a problem with a cheap Typhon, why send him to a very expensive Traxxas. Which is more complex in my opinion. Why not go with a great starter Arrma? Not a 3s but a 6s? Just my 2 cents. Off road? Typhon, Notto, Kraton. ??. What would you suggest?

So you are so experienced you can show me. :ROFLMAO:

I am sure you know a lot, never said you don't.

Sounds like you think I don't have experience?
You've seen everything on this site? Wish I did. :cool:. Glad I didn't. Ha

Curious all the breakage with the 3s. I have not had the same experience. Yes the plastic spur does wear out over time but I’m talking 15-20 packs. Yes, if you are running a steel spur it’s best to use hardened pinions. Bad mesh will destroy any rc. That being said the 6s line is far better in build quality and durability.

For us the 3S line has been tons of fun and pretty reliable after working out the quirks.

One of our RC's is a Granite 3S we rebuilt from scratch. After the rebuild it has been quite reliable. They are pretty easy to work on as well.

Sealed up the power module and set it up right.

Metal Diff yokes also help quite a bit.

Last edited:
ok cool..I was pretty much leaning towards option 2 anyways because I love the look of the Typhon and the way it handled. I just want to do big, long ass dirt drifts in a field...I was able to do that with the 3s so I'm sure the 6s will easily do it without breaking. I'm not sure why the 3s's kept breaking either, besides crappy plastic drive train parts. I do live in Florida, so sand is freaking everywhere and I know the 3s cars have issues with sand getting into the gear boxes, so that's probably part of the issue. I wasn't driving my car in sand, exactly....but there's still a little bit of sand everywhere where I live. It's unavoidable.

I thought about the Traxxas Sledge too, but yeah....I don't really want to spend more than 300 dollars, so I def don't want to spend more than 500 for the Typhon 6s. haha. Plus I heard about plenty of issues with the Sledge as well.

I already have two Dodge Stealths, an old motorcycle, a vintage audio collection, and a ton of music gear. The last thing I want is yet another thing that I have to be fixing all of the time. I just want to rip around once a week or so and have some fun without breaking stuff. I figure running the Typhon 6s with less than max power should be fairly reliable.

Can the Typhon 6s run on 2s and 3s batteries? I ask because I have a bunch of them.

also...should I just order two 6s batteries and run on 50% or 70% or buy 4s batteries? I'm curious how much of a difference it would be. I know at some point, I"m going to want to run it at full power to see what it's like (once I get used to it of course)

ok cool..I was pretty much leaning towards option 2 anyways because I love the look of the Typhon and the way it handled. I just want to do big, long ass dirt drifts in a field...I was able to do that with the 3s so I'm sure the 6s will easily do it without breaking. I'm not sure why the 3s's kept breaking either, besides crappy plastic drive train parts. I do live in Florida, so sand is freaking everywhere and I know the 3s cars have issues with sand getting into the gear boxes, so that's probably part of the issue. I wasn't driving my car in sand, exactly....but there's still a little bit of sand everywhere where I live. It's unavoidable.

I thought about the Traxxas Sledge too, but yeah....I don't really want to spend more than 300 dollars, so I def don't want to spend more than 500 for the Typhon 6s. haha. Plus I heard about plenty of issues with the Sledge as well.

I already have two Dodge Stealths, an old motorcycle, a vintage audio collection, and a ton of music gear. The last thing I want is yet another thing that I have to be fixing all of the time.

I just want to rip around once a week or so and have some fun without breaking stuff. I figure running the Typhon 6s with less than max power should be fairly reliable.

That's Correct.

Can the Typhon 6s run on 2s and 3s batteries? I ask because I have a bunch of them.
also...should I just order two 6s batteries and run on 50% or 70% or buy 4s batteries? I'm curious how much of a difference it would be. I know at some point, I"m going to want to run it at full power to see what it's like (once I get used to it of course)

Minimum is 3S.
(On 2S the ESC will not respond.)

You should use up TWO of your 3S batteries that you have in series to achieve 6S and just switch the throttle limiter down to 50%.
Easy Peasy. 👍

You'll soon get the hang of it and be toggling it up to 75% or 100% in no time.
6S Power!!
remote control car GIF by HPI Racing

Last edited:
ok that's great to know....i'll probably just get some batteries whenever I have the money saved up to buy everything....that's being said....

what batteries do ya'll recommend for the Typhon 6s? I really hate having to change batteries every 10-15 minutes. I'd rather just get something that will run a good amount of time.

Are there any major pros/cons to using two 3s batteries in series over buying one 6s battery?

Back