Stripped pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok now I am feeling really discouraged!! So I have tried using a shroud which did keep it clean, lowered the punch setting, made sure I got the gear on tight and double checked the mesh setting. Now not only did I strip another gear but the motor shaft has now broken off??? REALLY!!! I can't be the only one having all these issues on 6s. In total I have run this truck 7 times and have broken 4 pinions and now a motor shaft. Really starting to think I leave it on 4S and only drive it to church on Sundays...
I have had a rough start too, check my upgrading talion postings. Have completely done away with Arrma motor an ESC and things started working much better. Still wearing spur gear pretty well on 6s though.

I may have agreed with you maybe the first two times but after 4 pinions and the last one is still stuck on the snapped shaft!!! User error is no longer an excuse. I am no expert but I have 3 other RCs and have not had this many issues with them?

Sounds like a rock caught in that area some how or maybe it was a bad bearing in the motor,bad center diff bearing,check the 4 screws holding center diff together. If they are not tightened evenly it will wobble. Maybe take out center diff and mounts.check over everything and reinstall. Something is loose or theres interference. If mesh is correct.

Yep will definitely be stripping it cause I just can't take all the blame on this one. Check out the carnage... Will be contacting Arrma as well I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20170716_163018.jpg
    IMG_20170716_163018.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 82
Well my Kraton is one week old and now stripped the pinion also. Till replacement can be ordered and installed I am going to use the 14T speed pinion gear that came with it. Now for my questions. What is the pitch on the pinion? What brand would you recommend? Here is the list from Tower Hobbies that I came up with. Any of these better than stock, or any to stay away from?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=<b>12t</b>+pinions

Ok now I am feeling really discouraged!! So I have tried using a shroud which did keep it clean, lowered the punch setting, made sure I got the gear on tight and double checked the mesh setting. Now not only did I strip another gear but the motor shaft has now broken off??? REALLY!!! I can't be the only one having all these issues on 6s. In total I have run this truck 7 times and have broken 4 pinions and now a motor shaft. Really starting to think I leave it on 4S and only drive it to church on Sundays...
Damn that's crazy. Maybe it's coincidence, but I've also basically stopped breaking pinions by using 4S. I also noticed my front and rear dog bones' pins/ends were getting noticeably worn after I'd run a few 6S. Probably a lot of the other stock parts don't like 6S, too :(

Well, add me to the list. Loved the Outcast and ran many times on 4S without an issue. Then ran 2 times with 6S and issues each time. Bent a front shock shaft the first time (can anyone confirm it's the AR330195 64MM?) and then just toasted the stock pinion (14T?).
I ordered up a Kraton for my son to run because he couldn't keep up around our home-built track with his Summit. It arrives tomorrow. My daughter is running a HoBao Hyper Truggy and hasn't had an issue and it's taken some spills. We recently moved from 1/10 scale to 1/8 scale because of our property (lots of larger obstacles that 1/10 doesn't handle as well). Hopefully I don't end up working on these Arrmas every other run, because I don't have the time. Guess I'll fix the pinion and move back to 4S. Might have a handful of brand new 6S lipos to get rid of :-(

Well, add me to the list. Loved the Outcast and ran many times on 4S without an issue. Then ran 2 times with 6S and issues each time. Bent a front shock shaft the first time (can anyone confirm it's the AR330195 64MM?) and then just toasted the stock pinion (14T?).
I ordered up a Kraton for my son to run because he couldn't keep up around our home-built track with his Summit. It arrives tomorrow. My daughter is running a HoBao Hyper Truggy and hasn't had an issue and it's taken some spills. We recently moved from 1/10 scale to 1/8 scale because of our property (lots of larger obstacles that 1/10 doesn't handle as well). Hopefully I don't end up working on these Arrmas every other run, because I don't have the time. Guess I'll fix the pinion and move back to 4S. Might have a handful of brand new 6S lipos to get rid of :-(
I believe from the factory, the mesh may not be quite right as I run mine in 6s a lot now worn on my broken a arms which is my fault. I had 3 broken spurs till I got the mesh right and now I pound on my Typhon with a tooth on 4 and 6s. Arrmareaper can vouch for his talion handling 6s with a 13 tooth pinion because all he runs is 6s

I believe from the factory, the mesh may not be quite right as I run mine in 6s a lot now worn on my broken a arms which is my fault. I had 3 broken spurs till I got the mesh right and now I pound on my Typhon with a tooth on 4 and 6s. Arrmareaper can vouch for his talion handling 6s with a 13 tooth pinion because all he runs is 6s
Thank you Stopfer. I believe you linked to the ARP pinions on Amazon so I ordered the set of 3 (12, 13, and 14) and then a 13T Tekno as well. I watered our track down earlier but we still have a fair amount of debris/pebbles that could have been the culprit. I frequently shake the truck out during stops. Our HaBao has an even more open chassis design than the Outcast and it has not had an issue yet though. Which leads me to believe your theory on factory mesh being incorrect could have been the issue. I honestly didn't check the factory mesh because, well, I didn't think I had to. Lol lesson learned.
I have one of the mesh Toyz chassis covers, I'll try that out as well.

Thank you Stopfer. I believe you linked to the ARP pinions on Amazon so I ordered the set of 3 (12, 13, and 14) and then a 13T Tekno as well. I watered our track down earlier but we still have a fair amount of debris/pebbles that could have been the culprit. I frequently shake the truck out during stops. Our HaBao has an even more open chassis design than the Outcast and it has not had an issue yet though. Which leads me to believe your theory on factory mesh being incorrect could have been the issue. I honestly didn't check the factory mesh because, well, I didn't think I had to. Lol lesson learned.
I have one of the mesh Toyz chassis covers, I'll try that out as well.
Good info guys and thanks for posting it for all...I suspect it was part of my problem, too. I'm going to try out my 6S again since I've set the mesh. P.S. I have moved back to the HR shroud because it has a zipper on each side instead of one in the middle...just easier for access ;)

I may have agreed with you maybe the first two times but after 4 pinions and the last one is still stuck on the snapped shaft!!! User error is no longer an excuse. I am no expert but I have 3 other RCs and have not had this many issues with them?
How's things going ,I finally got my talion improved. Took motor an center diff out again,went back to 10.000 diff oil(3/4 full) tighten very slow an even,re-assemble top plate an mounts an set gear mesh with assembly in hand,then mounted into chassis.70% less noise compared to when I took it out of box stock.now I Know it's right.awesome for now.

IMG_20170814_165336_Bokeh.jpg
How's things going ,I finally got my talion improved. Took motor an center diff out again,went back to 10.000 diff oil(3/4 full) tighten very slow an even,re-assemble top plate an mounts an set gear mesh with assembly in hand,then mounted into chassis.70% less noise compared to when I took it out of box stock.now I Know it's right.awesome for now.

Well after putting in a new motor (decided to try a new stock motor) and replacing the pinion with a Robinson Racing Hardened steel 14t pinion I have run it on 4S without any issues. I too set the mesh in hand and it is a bit quieter then it was out of the box but have yet to do anything with the diffs at this stage. I have also managed to do a couple of quick runs on 6s but fear got the better of me so only 1.5 runs on 6s at this stage. So far so good I am hoping that it may have been the motor that was the issue in the first place ie. warped shaft or something cause I have have done more runs now without issues than I did originally??? I have been doing some mods so haven't done to many runs yet to know for sure. New springs, replaced shock oil, RPM arms, 23kg Power HD servo, SRC tyres, Robinson Racing 14t pinion, new body and am waiting on new Hot Racing Alum Axle Carriers and the Hot Racing servo mount.... Will let you know how all that goes once I have it all in.

Attachments

• IMG_20170814_165336_Bokeh.jpg
    IMG_20170814_165336_Bokeh.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 45
View attachment 11539

Well after putting in a new motor (decided to try a new stock motor) and replacing the pinion with a Robinson Racing Hardened steel 14t pinion I have run it on 4S without any issues. I too set the mesh in hand and it is a bit quieter then it was out of the box but have yet to do anything with the diffs at this stage. I have also managed to do a couple of quick runs on 6s but fear got the better of me so only 1.5 runs on 6s at this stage. So far so good I am hoping that it may have been the motor that was the issue in the first place ie. warped shaft or something cause I have have done more runs now without issues than I did originally??? I have been doing some mods so haven't done to many runs yet to know for sure. New springs, replaced shock oil, RPM arms, 23kg Power HD servo, SRC tyres, Robinson Racing 14t pinion, new body and am waiting on new Hot Racing Alum Axle Carriers and the Hot Racing servo mount.... Will let you know how all that goes once I have it all in.
I totally understand your fears, I had the same problem and fears. They are all gone now as I have pounded and abused my typhon on 6s with a 15 tooth pinion.
View attachment 11539

don't give up on 6s, they can take. I had the same problem on a Typhon but after 3 pinions(2 arrma one hpi) and a spur gear, it rips it up on 6s and a 15 tooth advantage racing products pinion. I really believe the mesh has to be just right or destruction and frustration will happen. I did notice that the rear center dogbone is getting pretty worn. I can not says that it is premature as I have run 40 or so 6s packs through it aggressively :)

First 6s pack through my Outcast I lost one tooth on my 12t pinion. Second 6s pack lost all but one tooth from the 16t pinion.
Motor mount is all jacked up from trying to remove the 12t pinion.
G40Bvc0h.jpg

First 6s pack through my Outcast I lost one tooth on my 12t pinion. Second 6s pack lost all but one tooth from the 16t pinion.
Motor mount is all jacked up from trying to remove the 12t pinion.
View attachment 11639
Heat it up, arrma loves red loctite. I believe they can handle 6s just not the arrma pinions. I bought some advantage racing pinions and have not broken any and usually only run 6s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back