Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Stripped pinion gear

Discussion in 'Chassis & Drivetrain' started by Greg2367, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Steveoarrma517

Steveoarrma517 Well-Known Member

I have had a rough start too, check my upgrading talion postings. Have completely done away with Arrma motor an ESC and things started working much better. Still wearing spur gear pretty well on 6s though.

Micstar likes this.
  2. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Never stripped a pinion unless the grub came loose. Its all about the mesh!

Voltron7 likes this.
  3. Micstar

Micstar Active Member

I may have agreed with you maybe the first two times but after 4 pinions and the last one is still stuck on the snapped shaft!!! User error is no longer an excuse. I am no expert but I have 3 other RCs and have not had this many issues with them?

4. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Sounds like a rock caught in that area some how or maybe it was a bad bearing in the motor,bad center diff bearing,check the 4 screws holding center diff together. If they are not tightened evenly it will wobble. Maybe take out center diff and mounts.check over everything and reinstall. Something is loose or theres interference. If mesh is correct.

Voltron7 and Micstar like this.
  5. Micstar

Micstar Active Member

Yep will definitely be stripping it cause I just can't take all the blame on this one. Check out the carnage... Will be contacting Arrma as well I think.

Attached Files:

6. Buzz430

Buzz430 Well-Known Member

Well my Kraton is one week old and now stripped the pinion also. Till replacement can be ordered and installed I am going to use the 14T speed pinion gear that came with it. Now for my questions. What is the pitch on the pinion? What brand would you recommend? Here is the list from Tower Hobbies that I came up with. Any of these better than stock, or any to stay away from?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=%3Cb%3E12t%3C%2Fb%3E+pinions

7. dpricenator

dpricenator Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member ArrmaForum Fan

8. Stopfer

Stopfer Well-Known Member

9. Voltron7

Voltron7 Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member

Damn that's crazy. Maybe it's coincidence, but I've also basically stopped breaking pinions by using 4S. I also noticed my front and rear dog bones' pins/ends were getting noticeably worn after I'd run a few 6S. Probably a lot of the other stock parts don't like 6S, too :(

Micstar likes this.
  10. Boosted4Runner

Boosted4Runner Well-Known Member

Well, add me to the list. Loved the Outcast and ran many times on 4S without an issue. Then ran 2 times with 6S and issues each time. Bent a front shock shaft the first time (can anyone confirm it's the AR330195 64MM?) and then just toasted the stock pinion (14T?).
    I ordered up a Kraton for my son to run because he couldn't keep up around our home-built track with his Summit. It arrives tomorrow. My daughter is running a HoBao Hyper Truggy and hasn't had an issue and it's taken some spills. We recently moved from 1/10 scale to 1/8 scale because of our property (lots of larger obstacles that 1/10 doesn't handle as well). Hopefully I don't end up working on these Arrmas every other run, because I don't have the time. Guess I'll fix the pinion and move back to 4S. Might have a handful of brand new 6S lipos to get rid of :-(

11. Stopfer

I believe from the factory, the mesh may not be quite right as I run mine in 6s a lot now worn on my broken a arms which is my fault. I had 3 broken spurs till I got the mesh right and now I pound on my Typhon with a tooth on 4 and 6s. Arrmareaper can vouch for his talion handling 6s with a 13 tooth pinion because all he runs is 6s

Voltron7 likes this.
  12. Boosted4Runner

Boosted4Runner Well-Known Member

Thank you Stopfer. I believe you linked to the ARP pinions on Amazon so I ordered the set of 3 (12, 13, and 14) and then a 13T Tekno as well. I watered our track down earlier but we still have a fair amount of debris/pebbles that could have been the culprit. I frequently shake the truck out during stops. Our HaBao has an even more open chassis design than the Outcast and it has not had an issue yet though. Which leads me to believe your theory on factory mesh being incorrect could have been the issue. I honestly didn't check the factory mesh because, well, I didn't think I had to. Lol lesson learned.
    I have one of the mesh Toyz chassis covers, I'll try that out as well.

Voltron7 likes this.
  13. Voltron7

Voltron7 Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member

Good info guys and thanks for posting it for all...I suspect it was part of my problem, too. I'm going to try out my 6S again since I've set the mesh. P.S. I have moved back to the HR shroud because it has a zipper on each side instead of one in the middle...just easier for access ;)

14. Stopfer

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  • Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer