Snapped front shock on Vortek 3s, what is the best replacement shock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickman2

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Okay so my daughters Vortek 3s Arrma snapped a front shock. What is my best options for replacement. Seems like a lot of options. Would like something more durable without changing the feel of the car. Thanks in advance.

Where on the shock did it snap?

You mentioned there were a lot of options, and there are, but hopefully this thread will help you narrow it down. Keep in mind that you'll want to check out the section "Arrma Vortekz 4x4 BLX" in blue of the first post. Depending on where the shock snapped, you could opt for the aluminum version of the stock shocks, Pro-line's Powerstroke shocks (expensive), or Felony/Limitless/Infraction shocks for the front and 6s shocks for the rear.

@Velodromed also set his 3s rigs up with some aluminum shocks in a slightly different manner, so I'll let him explain (as he's the resident 3s expert).

Define “more durable” because when I smash into things, something is always breaking. Once I stopped clipping mailboxes and cartwheeling, I haven’t broken a stock shock in a looooonnnnng time.

I vote stock. If you “upgrade” there is still a good chance of breaking a shock and if you don’t break the shock, you may end up tearing out the shock tower cap where it mounts.

Define “more durable” because when I smash into things, something is always breaking. Once I stopped clipping mailboxes and cartwheeling, I haven’t broken a stock shock in a looooonnnnng time.

I vote stock. If you “upgrade” there is still a good chance of breaking a shock and if you don’t break the shock, you may end up tearing out the shock tower cap where it mounts.
Lol, Yeah I guess clipping and carting wheeling don't help things. Any shocks you recommend off amazon?
Where on the shock did it snap?

You mentioned there were a lot of options, and there are, but hopefully this thread will help you narrow it down. Keep in mind that you'll want to check out the section "Arrma Vortekz 4x4 BLX" in blue of the first post. Depending on where the shock snapped, you could opt for the aluminum version of the stock shocks, Pro-line's Powerstroke shocks (expensive), or Felony/Limitless/Infraction shocks for the front and 6s shocks for the rear.

@Velodromed also set his 3s rigs up with some aluminum shocks in a slightly different manner, so I'll let him explain (as he's the resident 3s expert).
I looked at that thread...but it didn't seem to provide any solid links to products online. The shaft snapped and the spring was no where to be found.

Last edited:
6AF8C66B-A10C-4B72-8C18-76E7B06E6E9D.jpeg

Sheared it off in two spots.

Attachments

• 398F247E-A169-4891-B6C5-47E5F1AC0652.jpeg
    398F247E-A169-4891-B6C5-47E5F1AC0652.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 32
View attachment 265409

Yeah, seems very broken. Duct tape will totally not fix that. Many of us like the 6s shocks on the 3S cars… but it’s a kinda expensive investment so you have to really be into your 3s car. But if that is something you want to explore, were more than willing to help guide you on it.

Yeah, seems very broken. Duct tape will totally not fix that. Many of us like the 6s shocks on the 3S cars… but it’s a kinda expensive investment so you have to really be into your 3s car. But if that is something you want to explore, were more than willing to help guide you on it.
Would be interested to hear about it and the cost. Got some pictures of the cars with 6s Shocks on it? Main reason I got the cars was I wanted something fun for them...and if they break a part...should be easy enough to replace. Right now my little girls are just learning...I am assuming they are going to get beat up pretty good... By my 9 and 11 year old girls. They both have their own Vorteks, just different colors. I have already added M2C Racing -M2C 3450 ARRMA 3S SWB CHASSIS BRACE VORTEK / GRANITE - https://m2cracing.net/shop/shop.php...VORTEK-GRANITE/p/496059337/category=136155254 (For both cars) Figured it would help with durability.

Last edited:
Still not sure what broke it but it hit hard for sure bent the bottom screw as well. We cartwheeled it a couple times and she hit a lamp post in the park. Could have been any of those I guess.

09C39A4B-BCCA-494B-A4A7-B3F8053BBA9F.jpeg

View attachment 265409

That is typical. Just user error. It happens. Replace with another stocker set from JennysRC ( cheapest alternative) and she will keep rollin. Parts will break. Fix and repeat. No need to always drop more $Coin$ trying to avoid the inevitable, user error. Doesn't alway solve the problem. Just empties your wallet faster. A personal call.

Sold out right now.
But they get them in almost every week, usually posted on Fridays. They are inexpensive.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...rings-senton-ara4305v3?variant=39407339208758

Changing out to different shocks will always change the handling slightly and might have to be dialed in. Going with the Arrma 6s shocks as stated above would be the next best option. They are bullet proof in the heavier rig 6s line.

Last edited:
That is typical. Just user error. It happens. Replace with another stocker set from JennysRC ( cheapest alternative) and she will keep rollin. Parts will break. Fix and repeat. No need to always drop more $Coin$ trying to avoid the inevitable, user error. Doesn't alway solve the problem. Just empties your wallet faster. A personal call.

Sold out right now.
But they get them in almost every week, usually posted on Fridays. They are inexpensive.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...rings-senton-ara4305v3?variant=39407339208758

Changing out to different shocks will always change the handling slightly and might have to be dialed in. Going with the 6s shocks as stated above would be the next best option.
Got both Cars on amazon for a great price $310 each with tax..so putting a little back into it is not horrible. Batteries and chargers hurt a little although. Also bought BatSafe box to keep my house from burning down on accident. Totally get that this hobby can drain the wallet fast...lol.

Last edited:
Lol, Yeah I guess clipping and carting wheeling don't help things. Any shocks you recommend off amazon?

I looked at that thread...but it didn't seem to provide any solid links to products online. The shaft snapped and the spring was no where to be found.
Links work just fine on my end.

Only thing is that the rears might be a little short.

Traxxas GTR Shocks.

Get VG Racing springs. https://www.vgracing.com/product/GTR_Springs.html
Fronts 87mm eye to eye https://www.ebay.com/itm/274394584293?hash=item3fe33114e5:g:KS0AAOSwSWde4oZc
Rears 103mm eye to eye https://www.ebay.com/itm/192771284109?epid=1203434569&hash=item2ce2105c8d:g:ksYAAOSwgYBggyYs

Proline PowerStroke shocks for the Slash.
Fronts 88mm eye to eye https://www.prolineracing.com/performance-parts/power-stroke-shocks-front.asp
Rears 102mm eye to eye https://www.prolineracing.com/performance-parts/power-stroke-shocks-rear.asp

Proline Pro Spec shocks for the Slash.
Fronts 88mm eye to eye https://www.prolineracing.com/performance-parts/pre-assembled-pro-spec-shocks-front.asp
Rears 100mm eye to eye https://www.prolineracing.com/performance-parts/pre-assembled-pro-spec-shocks-rear.asp

So the Traxxis shocks work on the Vorteks?

What breaks most on the Vorteks? JennysRC seems to have a ton of parts...might be worth having a couple spares of common breaking stuff.

The tires seem to wear the fastest out of anything. Suspension arms and shock shafts seem to be the most common broken items, followed by diffs and spur gears. There are maintenance and preventative measures you can do for all of these things. For instance, after every 3 or 4 runs, check your pinion/spur mesh as hard landings can shift the motor enough that the gears will strip if left unattended (maybe the gears have daddy issues ...)

You're also not wrong in that having spares, especially when they can be had for cheap, is never a bad idea.

So the Traxxis shocks work on the Vorteks?
They will bolt on but the rears are a bit too short. I would have to check the length of the other Proline shocks. Beyond that I'm not sure as I don't have a Vorteks and I have no plans on buying yet another flawed 3s model until they fix the motor module issues.

They will bolt on but the rears are a bit too short. I would have to check the length of the other Proline shocks. Beyond that I'm not sure as I don't have a Vorteks and I have no plans on buying yet another flawed 3s model until they fix the motor module issues.
Interesting what issues are with the motor module?

6s mojave front shocks work great on the rear of the vorteks. I tried a few different shocks for the front before I gave up and put a granite shock tower on the front end so I could run the Mojave front shocks all the way around. It does jack up the front in a bit though.

Interesting what issues are with the motor module?
Dirt gets trapped inside the motor module and wreaks havok on the bearings in the motor and slipper. I got sick of replacing mine every 3-4 runs so my 3s models just sit. There are a few band aide fixes floating around but nothing helped on my end.

Dirt gets trapped inside the motor module and wreaks havok on the bearings in the motor and slipper. I got sick of replacing mine every 3-4 runs so my 3s models just sit. There are a few band aide fixes floating around but nothing helped on my end.
I saw something about this on youtube. Looked like most people either taped it off or one guy used the fuzzy side of velcro on the edges of the box. Would seem like it should be a easy fix...wonder why the company left this box open to begin with?
6s mojave front shocks work great on the rear of the vorteks. I tried a few different shocks for the front before I gave up and put a granite shock tower on the front end so I could run the Mojave front shocks all the way around. It does jack up the front in a bit though.
Oh nice, the Mojaves seem like that would be awesome on the back shocks. I just ordered

ARRMA Alum Shock Set Bore:11mm, Length:83mm, Oil:500cSt, ARA330733 for the fronts from Amazon for $33 bucks. Alum Shock ARRMA

But that would seem like a good upgrade down the line to switch out the rear shocks for the Mojaves. The rear ones been working good?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back