Sick of all the crud that gets into the 3s diff housing…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
It turns the superlube grease into semi solid goop which packs in between the gear teeth, as you can tell on the input gear below, and helps lead to eventual failure. I’m trying to see if it helps to lay a gasket on it. Done this to three of my cars now and it’s not affecting the way they run, at least. I will pull one apart after about 20 packs and see 🤞

AE588D34-0A13-412B-AFF5-8D00DC5ED45B.jpeg

A21FD0AD-7814-4325-9735-878B98270E04.jpeg

E9ECD997-1B8C-4034-9C3A-CE805AC7821F.jpeg

E26202B3-398D-47E5-9D38-602038787F9F.jpeg

8790DEB9-5BC8-4B2B-9630-6909EB4F4954.jpeg

A72E11CF-55A4-4A65-8D6B-491E52175968.jpeg

Sweet! Let us know how it works out. I usually put a thin layer of grease around the frame to keep the crud out.

The gasket looks cool and hopefully lasts alot longer.

Sweet! Let us know how it works out. I usually put a thin layer of grease around the frame to keep the crud out.

The gasket looks cool and hopefully lasts alot longer.
Hell I don’t even know if it’ll work. I’m just sick of how bad it gets. Even after six packs in superlube is gunking up with dirt.

I think it's also most likely from the diffs themselves. All three of my 3s cars input gears on the diff were too tight. I had to file down the back side of the input gear until it meshed properly. Which is a pain because you have to keep pulling off the 2 bearings and reinstall them each time to check.

Honestly, that doesn't look like dirt in there at all... It's ALL shavings from what I can tell..
I agree. It doesn't look contaminated from dirt or dust. Looks like a mix of plastic and grease.

It’s mostly fine caleche clay (which is a natural cement binder) and limestone dust that makes up most of the ‘dirt’ in San Antonio. Every time I open a diff, regardless if it’s composite or metal, it’s the same crap (I’ve 5 of these 3s cars and service them often). What appears to be plastic is actually grease. It’s takes on a paste consistency that flings off the ring gear in strands and sticks to the housing. I’ll know if it works before long when I open the first one I did last month.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back