Screwed the first time. About to paint a second one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I tried that at first. No good.
Too late in my case
You have to press down the edges of the tape thoroughly when masking. Run your fingernail back and forth over the edge of the tape for the entire length of the tape. When laying it down, don't stretch it over hills and valleys then try to press it down later. You have to get it into every single groove as you're laying it down. That's why that section over the tail has bled so much. It wasn't fully pressed into all those hills and valleys.

Also minimize how much you touch the sticky side of the tape. The more you touch, the less it will stick. Clean your hands and anything else that touches the sticky side. Any grease/oil/dirt will reduce adhesion. Using an extra long piece, so you only touch the sticky side on the ends that you'll eventually cut off will eliminate all contact. If I end up touching the sticky side too much, I chuck it and get a new one.

I've only done relatively simple paint jobs, but I recognized the areas that would bleed if I wasn't extra careful. I haven't had a problem with bleeding paint using masking tape.
I did with my finger nails. Even between coats
You have to press down the edges of the tape thoroughly when masking. Run your fingernail back and forth over the edge of the tape for the entire length of the tape. When laying it down, don't stretch it over hills and valleys then try to press it down later. You have to get it into every single groove as you're laying it down. That's why that section over the tail has bled so much. It wasn't fully pressed into all those hills and valleys.

Also minimize how much you touch the sticky side of the tape. The more you touch, the less it will stick. Clean your hands and anything else that touches the sticky side. Any grease/oil/dirt will reduce adhesion. Using an extra long piece, so you only touch the sticky side on the ends that you'll eventually cut off will eliminate all contact. If I end up touching the sticky side too much, I chuck it and get a new one.

I've only done relatively simple paint jobs, but I recognized the areas that would bleed if I wasn't extra careful. I haven't had a problem with bleeding paint using masking tape.
I was putting the masking tape with vinyl gloves. Ripped a few pair trough the masking

I had a bit of nail polish remover it took a lot of work. Didnt leave residu behibd maybe a tiny bit in a few places but nothing a polish cant
20220318_221835.jpg
20220318_221843.jpg
remove.
The right line is out of wack in the first picture. Ima way to see if my hobbyshop has the paint remover. Theres spots im missing paint on but i don't feel like masking the whole truck again☠

Be a little careful. I don't know about paint remover, but full-strength acetone will damage lexan. I tested it on a spare piece. Wiping with 100% acetone left white opaque scratches on clear lexan.

Last edited:
Be a little careful. I don't know about paint remover, but full-strength acetone will damage lexan. I tested it on a spare piece. Wiping with 100% acetone left white opaque scratches on clear lexan.
Its not full strenght it took a lot of scrubbing to get the paint off. Im going to wait for my hobbyshop if i can make the lines straight i will

I use laquer thinner on a rag to remove overspray
If you make it too wet it’ll cloud the lexan so be conservative

I decided to paint another body. Im not really proud of how it turned out. Im going to do things differently this time. im going to paint my main color first. Metallic red, bright red and silver. Then then the black stripes. Ima ditch the white i think its that main reason the color turned out so off. I think also getting rid of the translucent pearl. I still have some i might spray it before the red but not on the stripes. I learned a few things it was a learning experience. I have some tamiya masking tape on the way to help me do the main lines.

I decided to paint another body. Im not really proud of how it turned out. Im going to do things differently this time. im going to paint my main color first. Metallic red, bright red and silver. Then then the black stripes. Ima ditch the white i think its that main reason the color turned out so off. I think also getting rid of the translucent pearl. I still have some i might spray it before the red but not on the stripes. I learned a few things it was a learning experience. I have some tamiya masking tape on the way to help me do the main lines.
If you want a color to turn out metallic looking you’ll need to back it in metallic silver first
Then black
Backing any candy or translucent colors results in a whitened and washed out color effect
Kind of like this..this is candy green backed in white
You won’t get a metallic looking finish backing in white unless you’re using a metallic primary color

AAC9B070-0DED-43CD-AD12-2B95A5A9E75A.jpeg

5A4C0500-31D1-4FDD-89C6-D03BB22BA2E3.jpeg

2CC2CA38-E2E1-4407-9526-BFAE4F47B4E4.jpeg

A91A163C-1D37-4AB1-9AB0-7AB4B813DA89.jpeg

E0F746ED-2B83-444C-9ABC-7E517EF350AE.jpeg

If you want a color to turn out metallic looking you’ll need to back it in metallic silver first
Then black
Backing any candy or translucent colors results in a whitened and washed out color effect
Kind of like this..this is candy green backed in white
You won’t get a metallic looking finish backing in white unless you’re using a metallic primary color

View attachment 208228

View attachment 208229

View attachment 208230

View attachment 208231

View attachment 208232
Yeah lesson learned. Im going to back the matalic red and bright red with light silver finish the whole thing with black for the stripes. I did everything in reverse the first time

I was just kidding when I said let me do it.. I have painted bodies with mistakes and they weren't intended to be experimental.just painter mistakes. when I messed up the job,guess what,I bought a new body out of my own pocket and sent both the good and the bad to the customer. Or just sold the bad at Crazy prices. I'm not here twist feathers...Sorry I bothered you with my comment.🤙🏾
Do you really paint bodies on commission? Really would like a custom paint job but that is way above my skill level

After hours or preparation i finally did it. These tamiya masking tapes are a life saver. I suffer from anxiety. When i start to screw things up i start to panic and speed things up. I got s hold of myself on this one. I hope it pays off. My first body has a manufacturer defect in the front and in the rear. This boby is going to look tons better
20220401_012101.jpg
20220401_012000.jpg

20220401_234842.jpg
20220401_234913.jpg
20220401_234927.jpg

Idk whats wrong with me i have trouble breathing when i do stuff irl. My nose closes itself for no reason and makes ot hard to breathe. My whole chest hurts bad right now. Anyway tomorrow its painting time
a lot better than this monstrosity i had overspreay everywhere and paint going under the tape

8F016230-23E4-4845-9AEE-B33014B20A2E.jpeg

Last edited:
After hours or preparation i finally did it. These tamiya masking tapes are a life saver. I suffer from anxiety. When i start to screw things up i start to panic and speed things up. I got s hold of myself on this one. I hope it pays off. My first body has a manufacturer defect in the front and in the rear. This boby is going to look tons betterView attachment 209743View attachment 209744
View attachment 209745View attachment 209746View attachment 209747
Idk whats wrong with me i have trouble breathing when i do stuff irl. My nose closes itself for no reason and makes ot hard to breathe. My whole chest hurts bad right now. Anyway tomorrow its painting time
a lot better than this monstrosity i had overspreay everywhere and paint going under the tape

View attachment 209748
Anxiety getting the best of you my friend. I do very similar when I’m pushing myself hard to do something exactly right, frustration only aggravates the situation. When you get that feeling back off close your eyes breathe slowly and deeply.

Tamiya tape works great. To help avoid bleed it helps to spray a coat of clear first. If the clear bleeds under it's not visible. The following color won't bleed under, because the clear already filled the gap.

Ps15 is not a great colour as a metalic imo. The car came out well better than the last one. But im proud of my hard work. Even if the colour isnt what i wanted its still better done than my first attempt. The warm filter on my phond makes the colour i wanted
20220403_173718.jpg
20220403_173839.jpg
20220403_175159.jpg

Comapring to the first body who had pearl clear and backing with white

20220320_180033.jpg

20220320_180043.jpg

20220320_180106.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back