Screwed the first time. About to paint a second one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
So i have been doing some research on painting. Im hearing a lot of different things. Seems to be different ways to get the colour you want to achieve. I want the main color of my corvette c8 body to be a deep metalic red vibrant red but not dark red with a metalic black or gun metallic grey.

One person claims for example use a paint combo. Like metalic red and then mica red but what about colour after that? Silver black or white??

One other say is to use translucent red for example and paint silver as a backing to get another kind of metallic red.

Masking seems also to be a pain to understand. Gun metal isnt black and has to be backed up by something?

Going to use old soda bottles
Or you could just let me do it and answer all your questions about painting on a YT video featuring you C8 body..All the tips and tricks..

Last edited:
Or you could just me do it and answer all your questions about painting on a YT video featuring you C8 body..All the tips and tricks..
Tell you to do it?
I want to know the shades of metallic red possible with tamiya paints. That is what im trying to find out

Yes, let me do it😁 anyway,Tamiya has different shades of red aerosol and airbrush paint.The airbrush lp-46 is the only real red metallic I know of by Tamiya,but it's airbrush paint. Not all paint tints are excact,but super Close..
im confused. Im planning to paint with tamiya paints. They are 10$ the can here. My body is coming next week but im not going to paint i think til it get warm outside

Sorry.. No confusion intended..
You want to paint a c8 body with the shade of red im looking for? Right? I want to paint my own body. If you want to make a video about how to paint to help me and others you can. but you don't need to paint a 100$ body experiment for me. Making shades of red with soda bottles is better but if you want to paint nobody will tell you not to🙂

I was just kidding when I said let me do it.. I have painted bodies with mistakes and they weren't intended to be experimental.just painter mistakes. when I messed up the job,guess what,I bought a new body out of my own pocket and sent both the good and the bad to the customer. Or just sold the bad at Crazy prices. I'm not here twist feathers...Sorry I bothered you with my comment.🤙🏾

Last edited:
Yes sir..It helps the paint apply with minimal runs... It works,light coats , heat gun or hair dryer or dry it in the sun with warm weather, let it do its own work...
Screenshot_20220309-185739_Chrome.jpg

Yes sir..It helps the paint apply with minimal runs... It works,light coats , heat gun or hair dryer or dry it in the sun with warm weather, let it do its own work...View attachment 205294
How do you apply it? One pass coat or more? And why didn’t you tell me about this yet?? 😂 JK man.

After thinking and talking with my hobbyshop i came back home with 3 colors. Ps-37 translucent red, ps-12 silver and the most interesting one ps-58 pearl clear. From what i was able to found online and from my friend at the hobbystore its metal flakes.

So my plan is to spray that on first a few coats then translucent red and to finish it with silver. I might switch the silver for bright gun metal i wanted to have more of a metallic effect. this is a gamble it can go amazing or terribly wrong. I can still return the paints or change colour if i don't open the cans. I have normal gun metal coming for the middle stripes. Im trying to achive something similar to this but a bit brighter. M6 other option could be metalic red with bright red and then white.
28BB4888-0DF0-4E68-91A9-1E4C33DB70CB.png

image.jpg

I’m trying to find a way to get a deep vibrant red too!

Tamiya metallic red has this cooper pigment to it that isn’t my favorite.

This was metallic red, back with black.
20F74AD3-0C94-40F2-B967-0512F849A9C4.jpeg

I was going to a Candy Orange here but ended up with cooper. Transparent orange, metallic red and a little fluorescent pink and then black.
FBF79A8A-3A3B-4928-866F-2E5A58336AA7.jpeg

B9F17B31-6E57-4DC3-BAA5-62DC14B09664.jpeg
31867AAE-6AD2-4B1F-8AE9-6CD3DF920F88.jpeg

C0469A18-9724-4BEE-B4F1-871E5B4969DE.jpeg

This one is a color shifting paint. Iridescent purple/green, dark metallic blue, metallic green, backed with black.
18931B72-B149-46FA-A022-069763649CAB.jpeg
B872670B-F4FA-4A47-ACB0-D89860B3710E.jpeg
A9EC7026-92DC-4AB4-BA0D-47277066F48A.jpeg
A0EF8014-46A7-445D-B8FF-569865CAB266.jpeg
B24B3115-45E0-49BA-96B4-EBC1AC22B670.jpeg

I wanna try transparent red, fluorescent pink, and back it with gunmetal to see if I can get that red I want

I’m trying to find a way to get a deep vibrant red too!

Tamiya metallic red has this cooper pigment to it that isn’t my favorite.

This was metallic red, back with black.
View attachment 205955

I was going to a Candy Orange here but ended up with cooper. Transparent orange, metallic red and a little fluorescent pink and then black.
View attachment 205956
View attachment 205957View attachment 205958
View attachment 205959

This one is a color shifting paint. Iridescent purple/green, dark metallic blue, metallic green, backed with black.
View attachment 205960View attachment 205962View attachment 205963View attachment 205961View attachment 205964

I wanna try transparent red, fluorescent pink, and back it with gunmetal to see if I can get that red I want
So i found somethink similar to lexan afound my house i did 3 coats of metalic red then 2 coats of bright red. Backed with silver. The result is okay but i hope with the lexab its going to look a lot better. I did play with the number of coats on one of the tests but gave almost the same exact results
20220312_231722.jpg
20220312_231617.jpg

So i found somethink similar to lexan afound my house i did 3 coats of metalic red then 2 coats of bright red. Backed with silver. The result is okay but i hope with the lexab its going to look a lot better. I did play with the number of coats on one of the tests but gave almost the same exact resultsView attachment 205973View attachment 205974

If only that metallic red didn’t have that orange pigment to it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back