Poll: If ARRMA does not change out the Spektrum STX2 in the next line up will you really not buy one?

Will you buy the next ARRMA RTR release if they still include the Spektrum STX2 system?

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rainger40, RTRs never come with batteries and chargers. Unless they're some brushed poop with NiMH or Li-ion packs. A decent working radio and servo can be bought for 50$ total. So it's not 400 but 50ish bucks extra more realistically. Yeah, they shouldn't have offloaded that tragic radio on Arrma buyers but the rest is just regular RC hobby business.

Bought myself a DX5-rugged

When ill buy another truck.. Ill also buy an RX to go with the DX5..
Just throw the STX2 in the dumpster.. And never think about it again..

Quadruple win for HH..

1: Bought a truck (with TTX)
2: Bought another truck (with STX2)
3: Bought the DX5 with an extra RX to put in first truck
4: Will buy another truck plus an extra RX
I wish they'd just release them as Bind and Drive.

If only that was an option..

We only just need to convince Jason a B&D is the environmental thing to do..
"So many STX2's end up in the garbage without ever bein used"
And
"The money we save on buyin a B&D will eventually come back at HH any way, cause we buy a RX to go with our Spektrum TX"

That might convince him..

Last edited:
As a new owner I can say I’d think twice before buying another. With 2 batteries(does anyone just buy one) and charger it’s already a $500 dollar purchase just to use it. Then to add a servo, radio, and receiver you’re $300 “rtr“ is at least a $700 proposition now. If I need to buy components to make the thing work like it should I’d rather not pay for crap parts from the start. I’m ready to buy another for my son to run with me, but I now know it’s not just another $300 and the fact that I can’t hand my son the remote and know that the steering is going to stay trimmed Is a big deterrent to buy another. Eventually sure we’ll probably have a few rigs each and better transmitters and these additional cost will be somewhat offset, but they’re not for a brand new buyer.
If you are paying $300 for a servo and radio you need to find a different place to shop.
Even buying a Spektrum DX5C and a Savox 1210 servo you are still noy at $300.

@Rainger40, RTRs never come with batteries and chargers. Unless they're some brushed poop with NiMH or Li-ion packs. A decent working radio and servo can be bought for 50$ total. So it's not 400 but 50ish bucks extra more realistically. Yeah, they shouldn't have offloaded that tragic radio on Arrma buyers but the rest is just regular RC hobby business.
This, especially for the 1/10 rigs, you can get away with the $12 Bangood servo and the $30 Bangood radio and still be better off than the stock stuff.

I know batt/chargers typically don’t come with them I was just trying to make the point of what a new guy like me going to and supporting my LHS is in for. I’m sure I could’ve found cheaper prices (honestly I told them charge me what they needed to because currently they’re matching online prices)because they’re suffering with these covid shutdowns. They’ll take care of me somewhere down the road I’m sure. So knowing I’m going to spend more anyway I’d rather arrma keep those parts and discount the truck. For the record I don’t regret my senton purchase it’s fantastic, but knowing it could've been so much better with a few quality upgrades is a little disappointing.
If you are paying $300 for a servo and radio you need to find a different place to shop.
Even buying a Spektrum DX5C and a Savox 1210 servo you are still noy at $300.

This, especially for the 1/10 rigs, you can get away with the $12 Bangood servo and the $30 Bangood radio and still be better off than the stock stuff.

senton-$300
Savox 1211sg-$85
Spectrum 2s/charger combo-$80
Spectrum smart 3S-$85
With tax in my area total$590

I don’t think you read my post right, the math adds up. Idk about your lhs, but mine doesn’t carry dumborc. As you can see at almost $600 it doesn’t take a very expensive radio/receiver to get to my initial estimate of $700. Maybe I’m missing something it’s totally possible I’m just getting back into rc, but I also generally try to “buy once cry once” on quality parts with good durability and customer service so maybe I’m just buying more expensive than minimally effective?

I know batt/chargers typically don’t come with them I was just trying to make the point of what a new guy like me going to and supporting my LHS is in for. I’m sure I could’ve found cheaper prices (honestly I told them charge me what they needed to because currently they’re matching online prices)because they’re suffering with these covid shutdowns. They’ll take care of me somewhere down the road I’m sure. So knowing I’m going to spend more anyway I’d rather arrma keep those parts and discount the truck. For the record I don’t regret my senton purchase it’s fantastic, but knowing it could've been so much better with a few quality upgrades is a little disappointing.

senton-$300
Savox 1211sg-$85
Spectrum 2s/charger combo-$80
Spectrum smart 3S-$85
With tax in my area total$590

I don’t think you read my post right, the math adds up. Idk about your lhs, but mine doesn’t carry dumborc. As you can see at almost $600 it doesn’t take a very expensive radio/receiver to get to my initial estimate of $700. Maybe I’m missing something it’s totally possible I’m just getting back into rc, but I also generally try to “buy once cry once” on quality parts with good durability and customer service so maybe I’m just buying more expensive than minimally effective?
$85 for a 3S Lipo!??!?! That's absolutely CRAZY! I got a Turnigy Heavy duty 6s 5000mah for $80!

$85 for a 3S Lipo!??!?! That's absolutely CRAZY! I got a Turnigy Heavy duty 6s 5000mah for $80!

IMHO, so is $100 for a Savox servo and $1XX for a DX5C and $50 for a Spektrum RX, but lots of people want to support their LHS /and/or/ won't shop on line, and that is typically what the LHS stocks, so...

I present to you $399.99 for a 3s lipo https://www.maxamps.com/lipo-22000-3s-11-1v-battery-pack

You couldn't pay me to run batteries from these guys, and I feel sorry for anyone who falls for their marketing.
IMHO, so is $100 for a Savox servo and $1XX for a DX5C and $50 for a Spektrum RX, but lots of people want to support their LHS /and/or/ won't shop on line, and that is typically what the LHS stocks, so...
I paid $124 something with tax for my Savox 1211sg from my LHS.

I‘m not averse to online shopping I got a couple of 2s batts from power hobby, but I like supporting my community and having a real person in front of me if I need help. Power hobby charged me twice and I’m 3 weeks waiting for a refund, that wouldn’t happen at my LHS. I’ve not seen any of the exact items I listed above at prices much if at all better, let alone good enough to wait 2weeks for shipping. By all means someone link to cheaper prices, I won’t buy everything locally and I’d like another 3s pack like the one I have.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/111v-5000mah-3s-100c-smart-lipo-hardcase--ic5-p-spmx50003s100h5

Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting to support my LHS. Sometimes it is worth the extra $10-$30 to have that local support and the relationship with someone that can fix issues you can't.

And for big name products, there is that pesky MAP - Minimum Advertise Price rule, so yeah, they will be the same everywhere. But, like the battery link above, there are often 'similar' off brand products. Turnigy HD vs Spektrum or Traxxas lipos. A Radiolink RC4G for $60 instead of a DC5C for $120. Or a JX 32kg servo for $50 instead of a Savox for $120.

But, sometimes I want my truck running today, not the 2-4 weeks shipping from china would take, so I will head to the LHS and spend that $$$ on whatever ESC they have in stock...

I'm not sure if I want to support my lhs after seeing the owners private Facebook page, I can't even take screenshot because this place is family friendly. Let's just say that every other post has the N word in it. I'm actually kind of scared to set foot in the place anymore.

My question is why would a RC enthusiast care, by now such an enthusiast should have a mid/high end radio gear they immediately set up on any new rc purchase they make.

I'm not sure if I want to support my lhs after seeing the owners private Facebook page, I can't even take screenshot because this place is family friendly. Let's just say that every other post has the N word in it. I'm actually kind of scared to set foot in the place anymore.

Yeah, I'd be done with them and probably make that info public for others to see. That crap needs to stop.

My question is why would a RC enthusiast care, by now such an enthusiast should have a mid/high end radio gear they immediately set up on any new rc purchase they make.
1 - Because I want my stuff to work out of the box.

and 2 - I bet 80% of the 3s/4s owners buy it as a first or second car. They won't have a fancy mid level radio, and they will expect it to work right out of the box.

1 - Because I want my stuff to work out of the box.

and 2 - I bet 80% of the 3s/4s owners buy it as a first or second car. They won't have a fancy mid level radio, and they will expect it to work right out of the box.

That's fair but unfortunately it's expected in this hobby that corners are cut and we end up with bad items here and there such as inferior chassis, radio gear, bearings and so on.

Something that someone once said to me was that to spend hundreds if not thousands on RC and not invest in good radio gear isn't wise.

Don't get be wrong I've gotten by the FlySky FS-GT3B perfectly, only reason I upgraded to a Futaba T4PV is because I wanted one which can power servos with a LiPo.

That's fair but unfortunately it's expected in this hobby that corners are cut and we end up with bad items here and there such as inferior chassis, radio gear, bearings and so on.

Something that someone once said to me was that to spend hundreds if not thousands on RC and not invest in good radio gear isn't wise.

Don't get be wrong I've gotten by the FlySky FS-GT3B perfectly, only reason I upgraded to a Futaba T4PV is because I wanted one which can power servos with a LiPo.
Yabut-

The STX2 has been out for years, used in the ECX cars, and it has been know from VERY EARLY ON that it was a crap-tastic radio. In the ECX, it can be explained away, as ONLY came in the Sub-$200, Sub 20mph brushed cars, the Brushless versions came with the much better DX2E. But, putting this KNOWN CRAP-TASTIC radio in 50-70mph, $400-$600 RC's is a bit insulting...

Really, most $100 generic chinese RTR's come with a better radio.

Agree. But I still expect a $500 RTR to come with a decent radio.

I answered yes because I bought the kraton V4 knowing it had a crap radio. I could have bought the v3 that my lhs also had in stock with the better radio of course without all the V4 updates. I used the stx2 for a couple weeks, it took me a while to realize the radio was slow. Then I spent $29 on a dumboRC 4ch. I’m happy with my choices.

Yabut-

The STX2 has been out for years, used in the ECX cars, and it has been know from VERY EARLY ON that it was a crap-tastic radio. In the ECX, it can be explained away, as ONLY came in the Sub-$200, Sub 20mph brushed cars, the Brushless versions came with the much better DX2E. But, putting this KNOWN CRAP-TASTIC radio in 50-70mph, $400-$600 RC's is a bit insulting...

Really, most $100 generic chinese RTR's come with a better radio.

Agreed!!!
Putting the stx2 radio in 1/8 scale, 20lb, 40-70mph rigs was a very BAD decision if not irresponsible of Horizon.
EVERY review/unboxing video trashes that radio verbally and literally!!
If I were an engineer/designer for Arrma I'd be pissed!!

Yabut-

Really, all $100 generic chinese RTR's come with a better radio.

Fixed ? even my cheapo $80 Wltoys has a much better radio.

Back