Mojave Plastic Welding, Help in a Pinch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomis38

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Senton 6s
  8. Vendetta
This is not meant to end all be all. But its a tool i've used for a few years I thought i'd share. I have used both types "solder iron and wire mesh" and this one. I prefer this one overall, it's just faster and easier. The X-Maxx bumper support in the video "crack in the corner" was a 100% fix. But not everything always is. Nice to have in the tool box though. In a pinch like around Christmas when parts aren't 2 day shipping like normal, and if you break something that you want fixed for just one more run during Christmas vaca, you can keep running till your parts get here.

The hole reason I made the video yesterday was because of that x-maxx bumper support. Today I ran 1 full 12s pack through the X-Maxx after welding it and it looks just like when I welded it. Parts are on order but wont be here till next week after im back at work. This is where it really helps out. But you better believe im running it till it breaks before swaping it out. Which who knows may be a very long time from the looks of it.

I then welded the entire Mojave rear bumper up so I can print plates to support and fix it for good.

406208776_396512162817608_3638917736954024887_n.jpg
406455159_1574708703274882_4368804191738791157_n.jpg
406446648_729381229117186_5365677272740382207_n.jpg

On a rock crawler "my trx4" I have used it to permanently fix many things without buying new and they are still going strong.

These are cheap to buy. The hot staples are easy to find and also cheap once you need more. The applications throughout the house and in the garage are endless. Also you do not need a high end name branded one. The cheap ones work as good as the expensive ones.

Awesome work brotha 😁👍 reminds me of when I used to work in the body shop and we repaired plastic / rubberized bumper covers ,we would melt zip ties into the cracks basically filling in the gap then we would just sand and primer it up and paint .😁👍

Awesome work brotha 😁👍 reminds me of when I used to work in the body shop and we repaired plastic / rubberized bumper covers ,we would melt zip ties into the cracks basically filling in the gap then we would just sand and primer it up and paint .😁👍
Yup also done with the soldering iron type plastic welders. It's funny the ziptie is your basically your welding rod. :ROFLMAO:. Thats cool to hear its used on that level of repair.

Yup also done with the soldering iron type plastic welders. It's funny the ziptie is your basically your welding rod. :ROFLMAO:. Thats cool to hear its used on that level of repair.
Yup exactly.😁👍 Many times customers couldn't afford a new bumper cover .so we helped them out by repairing what they had .it started out as playing around and experimenting and we noticed it works perfectly... obviously ounce the cracks are filled in ,in order to make it look flush we have to sand and feather it all in but when it's primed and then wet sanded then blocked out .it's ready for paint and never had customers come back due to lack of adhesion or any issues with durability..it's a permanent fix for the bubble.its great for a do it your selfer at home on a hobby or professional level.im glad you mentioned this hear because many don't know about this trick .just the knowing of how much people can save on plastic parts is great .thank you for sharing

Yup exactly.😁👍 Many times customers couldn't afford a new bumper cover .so we helped them out by repairing what they had .it started out as playing around and experimenting and we noticed it works perfectly... obviously ounce the cracks are filled in ,in order to make it look flush we have to sand and feather it all in but when it's primed and then wet sanded then blocked out .it's ready for paint and never had customers come back due to lack of adhesion or any issues with durability..it's a permanent fix for the bubble.its great for a do it your selfer at home on a hobby or professional level.im glad you mentioned this hear because many don't know about this trick .just the knowing of how much people can save on plastic parts is great .thank you for sharing
And thank you for sharing sir. Like you said its all about giving people ideas. I may have known about what you were taking about but i certainly didnt realize its a viable fix for a shop to use. Thats awesome!

We learned how to plastic weld in high school auto body class. It was actually fairly easy to do.

-edit- I've actually thought of doing this a few times with a crappy soldering iron and some zip ties.

Last edited:
I have done plastic welding before didn't last two minutes :)

I have done plastic welding before didn't last two minutes :)
As previously stated lol, some works some doesn't. Like fixing a car bumper cover, dude that's permanent ;) . That X-maxx bumper support worked fine and you have all seen what I do to that X-Maxx lol. The couple TRX4 fixes I did have held for a year now. It's totally dependent on what and how you use it. And yes thats what she said :ROFLMAO:

As previously stated lol, some works some doesn't. Like fixing a car bumper cover, dude that's permanent ;) . That X-maxx bumper support worked fine and you have all seen what I do to that X-Maxx lol. The couple TRX4 fixes I did have held for a year now. It's totally dependent on what and how you use it. And yes thats what she said :ROFLMAO:
don't think I did it right in the first place :rolleyes:

don't think I did it right in the first place :rolleyes:
Who knows. I have had many failures with plastic welding, both types, so some things just arent do-able. Thats when the 3D printer comes in :ROFLMAO:

I did fix my toilet handle a few months back when it snapped off the arm that holds the chain. Still holdin'

Again just as proof. You all know what I do to my Mojave. I got it basically brand new a few months back. This is still in there and its been repaired twice with this welder. Technically it still worked fine, but since I was in there replacing a diff case why not rip one off the shelf and swap it out.

If used correctly plastic welders actually can work, if not correct or sometimes for obvious reasons they simply wont work at all.

Just an example, and dude this is a high stress part...... let me show you one of the last events with my Mojave hitting a ramp at 45mph no joke flat out down a hill...

And here is the part, again still good technically... As you can see both posts are literally snapped off.

419974240_1081472179758288_416820139753910460_n.jpg
417270419_760569969311405_6982297342767005972_n.jpg
420075129_1153730035639275_5703790648284655510_n.jpg

Again just as proof. You all know what I do to my Mojave. I got it basically brand new a few months back. This is still in there and its been repaired twice with this welder. Technically it still worked fine, but since I was in there replacing a diff case why not rip one off the shelf and swap it out.

If used correctly plastic welders actually can work, if not correct or sometimes for obvious reasons they simply wont work at all.

Just an example, and dude this is a high stress part...... let me show you one of the last events with my Mojave hitting a ramp at 45mph no joke flat out down a hill...

And here is the part, again still good technically... As you can see both posts are literally snapped off.

View attachment 345435View attachment 345434View attachment 345433

You're a Mojave Abuser.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back