Not RC. Volunteers 3D print life-saving valves for coronavirus treatments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I bought the "you can keep your doctor and keep your plan" bs too.
You’re not alone. Obamacare was sold as universal healthcare but ended up being an insurance mandate. Sure they expanded Medicaid some, but for the most part, it was a huge gift to the insurance industry.

Guessing this story would be far different if they were printing them and selling them... vs just giving them away for free or for cost.

Just like with anything, the piece itself isn't what's expensive, the time/effort/money invested in making it, testing it and tooling to mass produce it is where the cost lies. Then if it's patented and unique... they can charge what they want.

Guessing this story would be far different if they were printing them and selling them... vs just giving them away for free or for cost.

Just like with anything, the piece itself isn't what's expensive, the time/effort/money invested in making it, testing it and tooling to mass produce it is where the cost lies. Then if it's patented and unique... they can charge what they want.
I disagree. The thought of “they can charge what they want” should not apply to life saving devices. That fine for concert tickets or luxury items, but essential life saving devices and meds should NOT be priced well above a reasonable cost. I’m not saying companies can’t profit from their work, but the example set by PharmaBro is sickening.

Not really here to debate... but I guess I see it differently.

Is it seemingly poor taste, sure.

Is it wrong? Not for me to say.

$10K for a plastic doodad seems a bit rich, but considering half that article was bad information, what are the odds they got the $ amount wrong as well?

Not really here to debate... but I guess I see it differently.

Is it seemingly poor taste, sure.

Is it wrong? Not for me to say.

$10K for a plastic doodad seems a bit rich, but considering half that article was bad information, what are the odds they got the $ amount wrong as well?
That’s entirely possible. I’m more talking about how the price of Epi pens went up. My niece has severe allergies and has to carry one. They used to be like $5. They don’t last forever. They expire. Now they’re like $1000 or some crazy sh!t. So now my sister has to decide whether to risk having one on hand or not. It’s not really affordable to keep buying $1000 Epi pens when the last one expired unused. ??‍♂️✌?

My wife is on at least one script that cost $500+ a month and a couple others that would be $250 each... if it wasn't for insurance (which I pay $1200 a month for), I'd have to take her out back and shoot her. LOL!

yes its been changed.. the original article posted by @WoodiE said they asked for the blueprints and were denied and threatened with a law suit for patent infrigment.. im sure there was an uproar, and as @Mr.Duke stated it could have been twisted by the media outlet, which is probably why its been changed now..
Fantastic to see the news article updated and that the company really didn't threaten to sue them and instead has actually said the 3D printed copies, while not a better long term solution, would work in this emergency.

Stop being logical ? There seems to be a shortage of it whenever there is a post that can be twisted into a political discussion. There are a few posters that are the prime offenders and this isn't really the forum for political discussions. I'll leave it at that before I'm told I can't tell people what to think ?

Stop being logical ? There seems to be a shortage of it whenever there is a post that can be twisted into a political discussion. There are a few posters that are the prime offenders and this isn't really the forum for political discussions. I'll leave it at that before I'm told I can't tell people what to think ?

With social media the way it is now, everything is politics. Politicizing anything (a virus that affects us all) has gotten to be human nature these days. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it though. Winning is easier and much more fun than losing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back