WoodiE's journey into 3D printing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't print any "faster"..
until you up the resolution to 0.34mm height vs .2
Then it'll be moving ,for sure!
But you'll compromise on surface detail/smoothness..
See, there is a lot I don't know - which is another reason why I went back to the 0.4mm hotend except I changed it out for a hardened one vs the stainless-steel one.

Learn more about the basics in the "default" settings, and then play around with different things later.

The Bambu X1 does do an auto-calibration. The P1S does not. I have to go into the printer menu, change the nozzle size and then I perform a self-calibration.

Need a place to put it.
That's my issue as well.

When I ordered my Bambu P1S I had intended to put it in the house, behind my desk in the living room, but this machine is to loud and the wife would not be a fan of the smells of the machine.

So right now it's sitting out in the garage on my already crowded work bench.

That's my issue as well.

When I ordered my Bambu P1S I had intended to put it in the house, behind my desk in the living room, but this machine is to loud and the wife would not be a fan of the smells of the machine.

So right now it's sitting out in the garage on my already crowded work bench.

That's one of the major obstacles and turn offs for 3D printers from being accepted in homes - where there's a significant other..

The Noises will drive them Crazy!! 😵‍💫
Especially on Long prints that lasts through the night...
And that's with just One printer...
If you have multiples..
Oh boy, you better expect some Serious arguments.

Ask me how I know....

The Tent over a printer can help isolate the noise some also. Especially if you add some acoustic panels around it.
My issue is that my Creality tent is massive and for that reason the printer and tent are now sitting in the attic until it gets too hot up there.

That's one of the major obstacles and turn offs for 3D printers from being accepted in homes - where there's a significant other..

The Noises will drive them Crazy!! 😵‍💫
Especially on Long prints that lasts through the night...
And that's with just One printer...
If you have multiples..
Oh boy, you better expect some Serious arguments.

Ask me how I know....

Oh yes!... When I was in production I had 12 fdm machines running all the time at the same time.. I love the sound!!!.. but, glad they are in Thier own room in the basement.. 🤣🤣🤣🤣...

Oh yes!... When I was in production I had 12 fdm machines running all the time at the same time.. I love the sound!!!.. but, glad they are in Thier own room in the basement.. 🤣🤣🤣🤣...

Stick them in a Bunker..
IF Only I had access to one... 🤔

Life would be Good.

So I know I just seen a youtube video on a very similar topic, if not the same topic, but now that I was to watch it I can't find it to save my life.

Printed a poop chute for my P1S and it turned out like poop alright. Rather fitting I suppose and will certainly work fine, but I'm more interested as to why it did this.

As you can see the first part of the print it printed pretty nasty, then got a bit better mid-way through and then much nicer at the very end (top).

1712358435998.png

I'm curious to what others might think about the above post, but I found the video I was looking for and I think it might be speed.

Outer wall speed was 200mm/s and the slicer looked like so:

1712359196210.png

Dropping it down to say 125 mm/s and the speed and flow both looks much more uniform.

1712359258379.png

I'm guessing the moral of the story is I probably should look at the slicer after I slice the plate. :D

I'm curious to what others might think about the above post, but I found the video I was looking for and I think it might be speed.

Outer wall speed was 200mm/s and the slicer looked like so:

View attachment 359131

Dropping it down to say 125 mm/s and the speed and flow both looks much more uniform.

View attachment 359132

I'm guessing the moral of the story is I probably should look at the slicer after I slice the plate. :D
If it’s not a huge waste of material, I might try printing the same part again with the speed adjusted. Just to make sure that truly is the problem, and that you don’t have loose belts or some other gremlin hiding somewhere.

It's happened, after seeing 3D printers many times and even have bought my fair share of 3d printed items. I've broke down and bought one myself - a Bambu Labs P1S with AMS.

This thread will serve as my way to document my journey into 3D printing, or more likely my troubleshooting thread for 3D printing. :D

Behold my very first 3d print job ever.

View attachment 356076

I've ordered a number of Bambu PLA basic filament colors and new hardened hotends, but none of that has made it to me yet. So I'm using the "test" reels Bambu includes with the P1S.

Once the rest of the material comes in I've got a few print jobs I want to make for the printer itself, such as the poop chute and AMS Dry Pods. From there I've got a few things I want to print for my Milwaukee Packout gear, after that, who knows.
Welcome to a whole new world. I took the plunge with 3D printing several years ago with a couple of "beginner" printers, a SOVAL S5 and an ANYCUBIC Mono 4K. I have had a blast creating many items.

Thinking about the space and noise issue. What about putting it in a cabinet? Either on the wall or under the desk. It would be protected from curious animals and I could line the space with Styrofoam to dampen the noise.

Thoughts?

Really depends on the printer you get..
Tiny ones , sure they can fit into a cabinet.

Medium and Large printers need a lot of space around it to move the build plate..

Really depends on the printer you get..
Tiny ones , sure they can fit into a cabinet.

Medium and Large printers need a lot of space around it to move the build plate..
+1

Plus newer printers have gotten very fast, which also leads to a lot of movement and vibration. You need a sturdy table.

If it’s not a huge waste of material, I might try printing the same part again with the speed adjusted. Just to make sure that truly is the problem, and that you don’t have loose belts or some other gremlin hiding somewhere.
Fair enough.

I'm changing the outer wall speed from 200 mm/s to 100 and the inner wall from 200 mm/s to 150 mm/s and have just sent it to the printer. We'll see how it turned out in 3 hours from now.

Well @dure16 I was just about to celebrate as I had about another 1.5 hours left and everything was looking fantastic until I noticed a layer coming undone.

The image below is showing the worst of it, but there is a noticeable separation all the way around on this layer.

1712533734496.png

Slicer settings. On the Strength tab I change the infill from Grid to Gyroid. Speed tab is set as mentioned above and the Others tab is set to No-Brim.

1712533890938.png

Well @dure16 I was just about to celebrate as I had about another 1.5 hours left and everything was looking fantastic until I noticed a layer coming undone.

The image below is showing the worst of it, but there is a noticeable separation all the way around on this layer.

View attachment 359564

Slicer settings. On the Strength tab I change the infill from Grid to Gyroid. Speed tab is set as mentioned above and the Others tab is set to No-Brim.

View attachment 359565
So the speed helped with the exterior smoothness but that layer separation is a weird problem.

PLA right? What is your nozzle temperature?
How many walls and what infill percentage?
Can you take a couple close up pics of that thing where it separated?

Back