New Traxxas truggy????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet it does!! Gotta be bonkers!? Can't wait to see the vid! Must be counting backflips on a slo-mo replay?😛🙃👍
FPS= flips per second!!🤣🤣
i'm still a pansy tbh. I did manage to man up and do a double flip the other day though. It was GLORIOUS! especially when you factor in my jumps are more distance than height. :ROFLMAO:

My blue XRT keeps eating gears all of a sudden! It even ate saga gears and I don't know why. It seems to be happening in the air on jumps too. Anyone got a clue as to wtf is going on with my truck? the other two xrt's not having this problem.
Had that in the XMaxx. The rear diff kept eating teeth when jumping. Needed shimming internally. Not just one shim. As far as I remember about 1/2mm. Fixed that and fine now.

i'm still a pansy tbh. I did manage to man up and do a double flip the other day though. It was GLORIOUS! especially when you factor in my jumps are more distance than height. :ROFLMAO:
Respect bro!! You jump them far better than I. Those cats like Rich and Eric make it look easy.. not so. I wish I had the coin those guys have spent on broken parts getting to that level. Which is why I don't even try.. just ain't got it like that. Keep up the great content👍🍻

Had that in the XMaxx. The rear diff kept eating gears when jumping. Needed shimming internally. Not just one shim. As far as I remember about 1/2mm. Fixed that and fine now.
I was talking about the pinion/spur and not the diffs. I was having some nasty diff problems as well though but like you, I fixed it by shimming the holy poop out of them haha. I don't know what was wrong with my blue XRT but the last bash was a success and I didn't shred the spur or pinion. I added a cover to the pinion/spur and replaced the gear cover that goes over the rear of the cush drive with an alu one. Problem seems to be fixed now!

I was talking about the pinion/spur and not the diffs. I was having some nasty diff problems as well though but like you, I fixed it by shimming the holy poop out of them haha. I don't know what was wrong with my blue XRT but the last bash was a success and I didn't shred the spur or pinion. I added a cover to the pinion/spur and replaced the gear cover that goes over the rear of the cush drive with an alu one. Problem seems to be fixed now!
I'm always amazed at how well the TRX 8s rigs hold up considering all the plastic and the flex that comes with that..even stock power has the countershaft (spur shaft) flexing like a mother on the bench. Just imagine how much that shaft moves with the resistance of the truck against it! Wow. Then add motor movement from chassis flex and holy crap!! Likely the main cause of pinion/spur failures I've always thought..

I was talking about the pinion/spur and not the diffs.
I've broken so many on the X-Maxx. Did really torture the car with high jumps but I think too many spur/pinions broken. All with stock ESC/Motor. Then at one time I had a pair that just lasted - Traxxas gear. Not sure why. So I think it could have been quality problem with the spur gear in general. But it also could have been too big a mesh with the pin system. At the same time I put the pins one setting tighter. It might also have been the problem.

I think mesh needs to be on the tight side with the XRT / XMAXX. A tiny flex could give too much of a loose mesh due to the plastic on landing. But not sure about this.

I snapped the center diff output coupler on my Xmaxx a couple weeks back. The splined steel piece that couples the aluminum ceter driveshaft and center diff. Was launching off my ramp, showing off in front of my bro,LOL. Have to buy the center driveshaft to get the coupler.. bummer. Im starting to collect center driveshafts,LOL.
Anyway, I had previously removed the motor pins when I couldn't get satisfactory mesh.. I decided to try them again. 20/50, pin location "H", easy peasy right? Not..those gears be grinding like crazy!! Hit 150f after 10 minutes? The gears! No cover installed.. I decided to just let em eat.. 5 packs in, still pretty noisy but, it's getting there!!😬😛🤣

What connectors are you using on the XRT/X-Maxx and Kraton 8s?
QS8 or XT90/EC5?
Anybody using XT120?

Got some 4s Lipos with XT90 and some with QS8 and should probably turn one way. QS8 are clunky, XT90 more practical but AMPs limited.

What connectors are you using on the XRT/X-Maxx and Kraton 8s?
QS8 or XT90/EC5?
Anybody using XT120?

Got some 4s Lipos with XT90 and some with QS8 and should probably turn one way. QS8 are clunky, XT90 more practical but AMPs limited.
Stock guy here so, limited experience with big power but, I think the electronics will "tell" you if they aren't up to task by getting hot. If the connectors or wires are getting hot you likely need to step up?

Back to the XRT servo question.

I am running a Corally C-52005 HV Servo, 41 Kilo at 7,4 Volt on a Max 5 V1 (BEC Voltage 7,4) in the XRT. It performes worse than the Traxxas Metal Upgrade servo in my X-Maxx. Is a stock size servo and installed in the little frame TRX7749. Turning radius awful already at half speed. Got the stronger servo saver - TRX 7746X - spring installed. I think I need something stronger. I also don't like the little frame. It does move, no matter how tight the screws.

What servos are you running?

Last edited:
I’ve got a Perfect Pass in my XRT, the middle of the road Promodeler in one X-Maxx and a AGF 55KG in the other X-Maxx. No complaints with any of them besides the Promodeler being a little expensive, but the mounting that comes with it is mint.

We have the same 60$ 80kg aliexpress servo in our xrts since day one and they're still going strong. I tried to put people on to these things. I even have them in my expensive ass mcd rigs.

Vitavon bellcrank is a must as well, that adjustable servo saver makes such a big difference.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804094242829.html

We have the same 60$ 80kg aliexpress servo in our xrts since day one and they're still going strong. I tried to put people on to these things. I even have them in my expensive ass mcd rigs.

Vitavon bellcrank is a must as well, that adjustable servo saver makes such a big difference.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804094242829.html
Thats helpful, thanks! Do you use the 180, 120 or 90 degree servos?

XMaxx suddenly blocked gears after bashing last time. Total block and wheels would not turn when pushing the car. Felt like one differential was totally blocked. Took apart all three differentials - nothing. Then found the rear drive cups were worn too much and one dogbone got stuck sometimes in the worn drive cup blocking everything.

20231005_213416.jpg

Problem now gone:

20231005_213429.jpg

XMaxx suddenly blocked gears after bashing last time. Total block and wheels would not turn when pushing the car. Felt like one differential was totally blocked. Took apart all three differentials - nothing. Then found the rear drive cups were worn too much and one dogbone got stuck sometimes in the worn drive cup blocking everything.

View attachment 326616

Problem now gone:

View attachment 326617
Stock cups that wore out? What a coincidence, I'm replacing mines right now!!🍻
Believe it or not, those crusty looking bearings are going right back in, still smooth as silk! I put them in in February, packed with HT red grease when new. Snow, mud, silt..still mint!! The RPM hubs, not so much. Bearings just slapping around in them.

20231013_183906.jpg

20231013_183735.jpg

BTW, hopefully that fixed ur problem? Mine are worn similarly but I haven't had the wheels lock up. I can see the suspension jump up and down when I throttle the truck on the bench though..

Last edited:
BTW, hopefully that fixed ur problem? Mine are worn similarly but I haven't had the wheels lock up. I can see the suspension jump up and down when I throttle the truck on the bench though..

Seems to be fixed, have not driven yet. But the locking is gone.

Back