Typhon New to hobby, TYPHON GROM MEGA, questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizbug

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
Bought this car for my 8yr old and we both have been playing around with it the last week or so. Our camp ground has a few outdoor sand / dirt tracks. My questions are, even setting the remote to 50 (lowest throttle setting) he only gets about 20-30 min run time before the battery dies (blinking red light inside car next to power button. I don’t think it’s over heating)…

Is this normal run time? Is there a higher capacity battery I can buy or should I buy another of the same type of battery and go to the track with 2?

Thanks

Bought this car for my 8yr old and we both have been playing around with it the last week or so. Our camp ground has a few outdoor sand / dirt tracks. My questions are, even setting the remote to 50 (lowest throttle setting) he only gets about 20-30 min run time before the battery dies (blinking red light inside car next to power button. I don’t think it’s over heating)…

Is this normal run time? Is there a higher capacity battery I can buy or should I buy another of the same type of battery and go to the track with 2?

Thanks

Depending on your driving style (even at 50% throttle) , especially on sand for such a small rig such as the GROM will drain the battery pretty quickly.
So, for you to get 30 minutes per charge is really good.
Also you'll likely to have overheated the ESC and motor by that time anyways.
Best to let the electrics cool down a bit before continuing.

You could get a Gorgon (or Better yet a Mojave 4S for yourself) if you really want to step up Your enjoyment. 😉

Last edited:
Depending on your driving style (even at 50% throttle) , especially on sand for such a small rig such as the GROM will drain the battery pretty quickly.
So, for you to get 30 minutes per charge is really good.
Also you'll likely to have overheated the ESC and motor by that time anyways.
Best to let the electrics cool down a bit before continuing.

You could get a Gorgon (or Better yet a Mojave 4S for yourself) if you want to really want to step up Your enjoyment. 😉

Thanks for the suggestions. Was actually thinking of a bigger car for me similar in price like the Traxxas Rustler. Only issue there is we would have different batteries and chargers :/

Thanks for the suggestions. Was actually thinking of a bigger car for me similar in price like the Traxxas Rustler. Only issue there is we would have different batteries and chargers :/

Sounds like you need a Granite Grom! It is always nice when you can share batteries between vehicles but I definitely try to have 2 of each type.

If you're branching out for something bigger pick out what fits best instead of choosing the battery first.

Look into a 3S or 4S brushless Arrma rig. If you get a Rustler then you'd need new batteries and chargers, which really isn't worth it since you already have batts & chargers that you could use...Unless you're only running a NiMh pack in your Typhon. If you're only running Nimh packs right now then you'd need to get Lipos no matter which brushless truck you decide to purchase.

Just have the stock battery and Spektrum S10 Smart G2 Mini 2S USB-C Charger
Well if you go the Traxxas route you're gonna pretty much be locked into their batteries and chargers. You can always solder on new connectors to the Traxxas batts and/or ESCs, but that's some pretty advanced wrenching, don't wanna throw that on your plate just yet. If you get a second Arrma rig, or any other rig for that matter, your selection of batteries and charger is pretty much limitless. Also, while that S10 mini charger may be serving it's purpose just fine for now, you're definitely going to want to upgrade chargers in the near future. Those USB chargers are sloooow, and don't offer much information like cell voltage or resistance. Sorry if I'm giving you more information that you're seeking at the moment, but I can promise you that these things will come into play the deeper into the hobby you get.

Also, while that S10 mini charger may be serving it's purpose just fine for now, you're definitely going to want to upgrade chargers in the near future. Those USB chargers are sloooow, and don't offer much information like cell voltage or resistance.

Agreed. A decent charger is a good purchase once you decide you're going to stick with the hobby for a minute.

Back