Typhon New Tailon or Truggified Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenwm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Vorteks
Love the way the new Tailon looks and all the EXB upgrades but the price! 😢

Was thinking of just Truggifying my Typhon 6s V5

Thinking my Typhon will be just as fast ...wondering about how the handling will compare. Durability ect

I personally haven’t heard a lot of durability issues with Typhon V5....I am a noob though

What do you guys = The Experts think 🤔

Thank you

Mojave are definitely more beefy but I’ve only ever broken one rear typhon arm since I’ve had it and no Mojave arms yet. The typhon chassis will need a little modifying around the droop screw area for clearance on the arms. It’s minimal but you do need a dremel. Maybe someone already mentioned that above.
Unless it’s a V5 chassis then it’s good to go… and they are only $12 at Jenny’s Rc so … lol! Thought that was neat.. not having to dremel the ears

The mojave arms are not necessary, only if you like the wider stance is it a good option.
But it's necessary if you want bigger tires than the 2.8 size.

Love the way the new Tailon looks and all the EXB upgrades but the price! 😢

Was thinking of just Truggifying my Typhon 6s V5

Thinking my Typhon will be just as fast ...wondering about how the handling will compare. Durability ect

I personally haven’t heard a lot of durability issues with Typhon V5....I am a noob though

What do you guys = The Experts think 🤔

Thank you
My advice is always don't upgrade unless you have a particular goal you want to accomplish. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. What do YOU want your Typhon to do better? If you haven't had durability issues, no reason to upgrade to EXB parts. You talk about truggifying and talk about speed, but they're not the same upgrade.

Truggifying will allow you to fit monster truck tires for better off-road and more air control on jumps. If you want to go faster, monster truck tires are no good. You'd want smaller street tires, a larger pinion and maybe a motor fan. If you want a different look, paint up a new body shell and get body mounts to make it fit. Without knowing what you want to accomplish, following other people's "upgrade" advice is just throwing money away in all directions.

Unless it’s a V5 chassis then it’s good to go… and they are only $12 at Jenny’s Rc so … lol! Thought that was neat.. not having to dremel the ears
I have to get with the times...So the v5 has the newer style chassis? Are the arms the same? If no I guess they will be changed to the exb style eventually. I do like the fact that the Jennys chassis are so cheap. Great for mocking up projects without taking one of your cars of line to do so, or just using them...

I have to get with the times...So the v5 has the newer style chassis? Are the arms the same? If no I guess they will be changed to the exb style eventually. I do like the fact that the Jennys chassis are so cheap. Great for mocking up projects without taking one of your cars of line to do so, or just using them...
Exactly.. the Mojave arms have the same droop setup as the newer exb/ V5 does. The Mojave arms fit no mods needed

The truggified Typhon 6s with MX28 will go on a 4s. On 6s you need to nylon strap your tires. That is like using tape to close your trunk because your lock is broken. It works but... :ROFLMAO: The new MX HD (addes cost) tires look fine but you will have to drill them (belted 🤣🤣 ) and tape them inside.

The truggified Typhon is not a really cheaper than the Talion EXB. Here is why:

You need a 4s set of batteries to go truggified and a 6s set of batteries to use buggy tires.
Then you will have trouble fitting normal 6s 5000 mAh batteries into the Typhon. Which means you probably need some 3000 mAh 6s batteries to fit. Just saying - the normal 5000 mAH (that you probably have already) are too long and if you jump and land on a stone the lipo will get hit. You also need Kraton hubs, axles etc. to fit the MX28. So to get some driving time you need at least two 4s lipos (MX28) and two 6s lipos (buggy tires). And truggified the springs are on the soft side. Well not really - chassis just slaps. On top of that the original tires do not last too long. Not much of a profile there. So the truggified Typhon is not cheap.

Today I drove / ramped the truggified Typhon on 4s and the Kraton on 6s. The Typhon is no match on rough ground. The ground clearance is the problem. The Typhon V5 with MX 28 on 4s jumps and flips nicely. On 4s with buggy tires it's no fun jumping. Just not enough power to correct in flight. Big plus for the Typhon is durability.

The Talion does have the higher ground clearance. It already has tires, needs no Kraton hubs, axles etc., no extra MX28, no extra 4s and 6s lipo. So that is a big plus!

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

I never thought I would think of building an RC but After being on here for a while and learning so much from y’all...I’m actually thinking one day I might!

Have a question is the Talion V3 a good Rc

Was there a huge difference between the V3 & V4 Talion

Noticed theres no tower to tower brace on V4
And i read the V4 easier to work on

What do you guys think about V3 Talion

Thanks

Last edited:
The truggified Typhon 6s with MX28 will go on a 4s. On 6s you need to nylon strap your tires. That is like using tape to close your trunk because your lock is broken. It works but... :ROFLMAO: The new MX HD (addes cost) tires look fine but you will have to drill them (belted 🤣🤣 ) and tape them inside.

The truggified Typhon is not a really cheaper than the Talion EXB. Here is why:

You need a 4s set of batteries to go truggified and a 6s set of batteries to use buggy tires.
Then you will have trouble fitting normal 6s 5000 mAh batteries into the Typhon. Which means you probably need some 3000 mAh 6s batteries to fit. Just saying - the normal 5000 mAH (that you probably have already) are too long and if you jump and land on a stone the lipo will get hit. You also need Kraton hubs, axles etc. to fit the MX28. So to get some driving time you need at least two 4s lipos (MX28) and two 6s lipos (buggy tires). And truggified the springs are on the soft side. Well not really - chassis just slaps. On top of that the original tires do not last too long. Not much of a profile there. So the truggified Typhon is not cheap.

Today I drove / ramped the truggified Typhon on 4s and the Kraton on 6s. The Typhon is no match on rough ground. The ground clearance is the problem. The Typhon V5 with MX 28 on 4s jumps and flips nicely. On 4s with buggy tires it's no fun jumping. Just not enough power to correct in flight. Big plus for the Typhon is durability.

The Talion does have the higher ground clearance. It already has tires, needs no Kraton hubs, axles etc., no extra MX28, no extra 4s and 6s lipo. So that is a big plus!
Hmm, I'm not agree at some points.
Mine mx28 are strapped and works well, it takes 10 minutes to do that.
I have one 4500mAh 6s pack and drive 30 a 40 minutes, all depends how you pull constantly.
My new packs are 2x 3s 5000mAh soft case regular size. Some off you find it tricky, but same here all depends how you drive.
Just thinking before your purchase how you drive, and where you drive the most.
Grass, gravel or loose sand. I bash the most on loose sand and grass no problem, only rougher ground you need more ground clearance. But again you can fix that with more option parts.
It's certainly not cheap.
And by his swb very durable

Do what you want and not what everyone tells you.

Thanks again guys!
Appreciate all the help and knowledge shared here!

Arrma is really awesome the way you can swap, switch, combine...create fast and durable Frankenstein vehicles!!!
I hope one day to have my very own build thread!

Very good day today I found on marketplace and purchased a very clean V3 Talion and a stretched Typhon V5

So now Probably going to return my Typhon since i have a on road Typhon
and the off road Talion!

Can’t wait to try these!

04F7DC2D-21F7-49BF-A849-23CA5DEAEA98.jpeg

68BC2D84-A598-4F82-97BF-DA958E3C7C1A.jpeg

739746A4-DD71-45E3-96B7-7C608A86413E.jpeg

9F8F0C6D-25F2-4203-BD41-446051ABBDEC.jpeg

794179D8-4F4D-42E9-A904-FDC6746E057F.jpeg

Thank you jimbobjr... really appreciate you taking time to help!

have a blessed day brother!

Back