Typhon New Tailon or Truggified Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenwm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Vorteks
Love the way the new Tailon looks and all the EXB upgrades but the price! 😢

Was thinking of just Truggifying my Typhon 6s V5

Thinking my Typhon will be just as fast ...wondering about how the handling will compare. Durability ect

I personally haven’t heard a lot of durability issues with Typhon V5....I am a noob though

What do you guys = The Experts think 🤔

Thank you

I don't own either one but for the price of the new Talion, it makes the Typhon more attractive. I do know the Typhon is durable mainly because of it's weight and size.

Thank you armadillo

Here’s specs:

CCA9698B-D9B6-4843-853A-3D58CA1AD79B.png

DEB0E46B-A675-463A-BE3D-B15D11E48E84.png

Nice comparison chart. like I said, Typhon weighs less and smaller dimensions all way around except for height. Guess that minor difference is the buggy shocks/towers.

Boils down to what you really want. What I like about the Typhon is that you can slap on a set of hoons and turn it into a onroad speed demon.

Talion is nice too, great basher, but that price is hard to swallow. For me, if I already had the Typhon, that's the way I'd go.

I think i'd build it from scratch instead. Pick up an m2c chassis, typhon diffs, kraton arms or better yet rpm, and some aftermarket braces/servo mount, and towers. I built both of my talions from the chassis up. One a heavy basher on 4s outcast tires and the other on an m2c lightened chassis with basherqueen carbon fiber parts for speed and agility. I am going to pick up the belted tires though for sure for the lightweight one and my losi 8ight xte.

talion3.jpg

talion13.jpg

Nice talions 👆
I have a pretty much untouched v4 because I can't decide which direction to go with it.

They can be had for a much lower price than the new exb.

Another option is to put mojave arms on Your typhon so you have something in the middle, I did that and it's the best basher I've got. 👍

Nice talions 👆
I have a pretty much untouched v4 because I can't decide which direction to go with it.

Another option is to put mojave arms on Your typhon so you have something in the middle, I did that and it's the best basher I've got. 👍
Did that too with my street typhon, and widened one all the way and put 4s outcast tires on it too with a bug body.

99A07ACB-9CA0-4CDD-8C7D-E0B18BAEFA82.jpeg

957CAB83-409A-47CE-81A6-35FB7F434E4D.jpeg

Nice talions 👆

Did that too with my street typhon, and widened one all the way and put 4s outcast tires on it too with a bug body.
This 👆🏻👆🏻 Check mine out I just made… also, what color is that on the dark purple? Looks great 👌🏻View attachment 155454View attachment 155455View attachment 155456
Tamiya clear red backed in gunmetal

F0FD49C4-11D1-4E5A-A343-577CE5C668EF.jpeg

Thanks guys

Some nice rigs! Some beautiful paint work!

How do the Mojave arms affect the Typhon?

Researching I noticed there’s a couple ways to Truggify the Typhon

The simple Kraton hub hex and axel upgrade

Or the more complete which includes a lot more parts and money

Wondering if the simple mod would be sufficient

I believe Rich duperbash just runs the more simple of the mods and seems to hold up amazing ...I’m sure he has other mods on his Typhon that make it more durable also that may contribute

Again wondering what you guys think

Thanks!

Thanks guys

I believe Rich duperbash just runs the more simple of the mods and seems to hold up amazing ...I’m sure he has other mods on his Typhon that make it more durable also that may contribute

Thanks!
I don’t know that it makes much difference but it sits it a little wider. I have an off-road one as well on belted 2.8 badlands running the regular arms. I can’t remember if I had to add kraton hubs to clear but I might have had to.

Here’s a list of more complete mod

Thanks to Devito1993 it’s his list he compiled from his build thread I believe

AFB4665A-84D1-4569-A153-0BD0CB41036C.png

Thanks calebgilmore!

Last edited:
The typhon is a great all rounder if your looking for a step up from the 3s stuff but don’t need to tackle the ultra tough terrain ground clearance driving. I got my v5 6s a few months ago, as my first jump up from 1/10 scale not including. My max… loved the power and ultra solid metal and other heavy duty parts so much I just picked up a rtr kraton last week before leaving for a 4th family trip..got a few packs on before I left, thing Is so frigate wide up close, I didn’t realize before seeing in person. Then I get to vacation, reading forums and watching you tube and what do I see? The talion exp in rtr… just ordered from arrma horizon!
heres my quick take, the 3s stuff is just a ton of value and performance per $… the specs like speed are so close to the bigger 6s stuff that until you feel the big 6s motor 150 amp esc power, it’s easy to think the 6s stuff isn’t a big enough step up. When I got the typhon it was awesome to use that power to weight effortless a cessation, as cool as it was it left me feeling I wanted to see how that power and those high level components felt on a larger tired machine. The kraton (similar size to the talion) is so much bigger and wider in real life (like 3” wider I think) it does seem like a different class of vehicle even though the typhoons on the outcast chassis… it’s the arms and tires I think.
the typhon is a insane and interesting example of an overpowerEd hot rod, glad I have it… but I wouldn’t want to have it as my only 6s rig because of the capability you wouldn’t get to use that the full size 6s line has like the talion, kraton and outcast notorious bring to table. If you can have 2, the typhon is a great one to have, but only if you also have a full size 1/8th also… so get the talion also even if it means upgrading them slower. I didn’t realize what the difference was, I thought the speeds similar and my max is like a baby 1/8 scale till I saw what almost 20” of front end width looks like. I think my mix of talion, typhon and kraton will give me a good mix. The one thing I have noticed with the typhon is that the small wheel size and narrower stance gives it short coarse like durability at least for me so far, so no repairs yet, and on the right surface it’s like a frigate bullet…. But if you want something that strides along tougher terrain at speed I think you need the bigger rigs

The typhon is a great all rounder if your looking for a step up from the 3s stuff but don’t need to tackle the ultra tough terrain ground clearance driving. I got my v5 6s a few months ago, as my first jump up from 1/10 scale not including. My max… loved the power and ultra solid metal and other heavy duty parts so much I just picked up a rtr kraton last week before leaving for a 4th family trip..got a few packs on before I left, thing Is so frigate wide up close, I didn’t realize before seeing in person. Then I get to vacation, reading forums and watching you tube and what do I see? The talion exp in rtr… just ordered from arrma horizon!
heres my quick take, the 3s stuff is just a ton of value and performance per $… the specs like speed are so close to the bigger 6s stuff that until you feel the big 6s motor 150 amp esc power, it’s easy to think the 6s stuff isn’t a big enough step up. When I got the typhon it was awesome to use that power to weight effortless a cessation, as cool as it was it left me feeling I wanted to see how that power and those high level components felt on a larger tired machine. The kraton (similar size to the talion) is so much bigger and wider in real life (like 3” wider I think) it does seem like a different class of vehicle even though the typhoons on the outcast chassis… it’s the arms and tires I think.
the typhon is a insane and interesting example of an overpowerEd hot rod, glad I have it… but I wouldn’t want to have it as my only 6s rig because of the capability you wouldn’t get to use that the full size 6s line has like the talion, kraton and outcast notorious bring to table. If you can have 2, the typhon is a great one to have, but only if you also have a full size 1/8th also… so get the talion also even if it means upgrading them slower. I didn’t realize what the difference was, I thought the speeds similar and my max is like a baby 1/8 scale till I saw what almost 20” of front end width looks like. I think my mix of talion, typhon and kraton will give me a good mix. The one thing I have noticed with the typhon is that the small wheel size and narrower stance gives it short coarse like durability at least for me so far, so no repairs yet, and on the right surface it’s like a frigate bullet…. But if you want something that strides along tougher terrain at speed I think you need the bigger rigs
Yeah the swb rigs (typhon/outcast/notorious) all use the same chassis. The outcast/noto are wider and have spiral cut gears. The 6s outcast tires are great on the kraton as well. Kraton and talion are close, with the talion being a little lower to the ground. The mojave is a tank too and a little bigger, but hampered by body parachuting if you go too fast. Senton towers make a great way to change your bodies up to any of the pro line options. On my widened truggified typhon i have senton towers, rear typhon shocks up front, and talion rears on it. You can mix and match and make a bunch of different options. Most of my trucks are tweaked with their cousin's parts somewhere on them. 4s outcast tires if you can find them are great on the talion if you have a rougher terrain too. I don't know what happened but my notorious ate 2 blx 185's so i upgraded all my rigs to max6's and most with hobbystar 4092 motors, 1730 in my talions/senton/typhons, and 1480 in the kraton and noto. The 46t spur will help you gear up if you drop kv since a larger pinion will fit. I run 24/46 on all my rigs but my lightened talion, it's on 26/46. I also run 40mm fans on the max6 and motor in all my rigs but the typhon since the body clearance is minimal over the chassis.

Just finished my Project I'm glad how it looks.
We only have two runs with and he drives awesome. It's the third typhon for a project and the durability is great tru the swb.
My other project the Krayphon typhon with kraton chassis and 3.8 proline wheels is a huge other level in driving. Has more stability and more weight as well.
I'm just waiting for the mojave arms and drive shafts when they back in stock for the Truggified Typhon, so I can put the 4s backflip lp's on it. Curious how that goes...

Thanks guys

Thanks!
Trugifying the typhon with Mojave arms will give you 3/4 of an inch or so in width (I haven’t measured...) over using the old way with typhon arms. Also have more weight with Mojave arms and drive shafts. If you enjoy spending money the Mojave arms are the way to go. Cheapest is just use your typhon arms, drive shafts and get the other ingredients. I’ve had mine both ways and it’s a beast. I might like it a little better with the Mojave arms.
Tough call between the two cars. I might like the talion better if I only could have one idk depends on which I’ve most recently driven...

Thanks guys!

Happy 4th to Everybody!!

Really appreciate all your help/advice!!

Are the Mojave arms thicker/stronger than Typhon arms

Thanks

Mojave are definitely more beefy but I’ve only ever broken one rear typhon arm since I’ve had it and no Mojave arms yet. The typhon chassis will need a little modifying around the droop screw area for clearance on the arms. It’s minimal but you do need a dremel. Maybe someone already mentioned that above.

Back