Big Rock My Big Rock is finally reliable after >$100 invested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMightyAtom

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
Not really any point to this post aside from sharing my BR 3S experience.

I've had my frustrations with the 3S platform over the past 1.5 years I've owned it, and I've shared those frustrations on this forum. But I've recently managed to iron out all the wrinkles, and I'm honestly really happy with the final result.

I got the heavy-duty Hot Racing motor mount, the metal input and crown gears from the 4S rigs, a metal spur gear, and metal diff yokes. 20+ more packs through it since then, and zero issues. And I beat on it pretty hard. I land on full throttle a lot, I do donuts for 10 minutes straight like a moron...etc.

I know opinions vary in this community about whether the 3S vehicles are worth this kind of investment, and frankly, I was skeptical at first of putting this money into it. But I'm glad I did.

Honestly? I think the 3S rigs are worth upgrading until the weak points are gone. Yes, my total investment in my BR is equivalent to the cost of my Kraton 4S. But the BR is lightweight, fast, dirt-cheap to fix, reasonably easy to work on, and I never worry about it breaking. Parts cost pennies on the dollar from Jennys. And for all the drivetrain issues these vehicles have, I've never had any issues with the superstructure. The chassis, shock towers, bumpers, shocks, A-arms....All solid as a rock. I've never had any issues there. Probably helps that the truck weighs next to nothing.

Just wanted to share in case anyone was on the fence about getting one of these based on the chatter around the internet about their weak points. I'd like to see Arrma address the weak points in the future, but they're still good rigs for affordable bashing.

Not really any point to this post aside from sharing my BR 3S experience.

I've had my frustrations with the 3S platform over the past 1.5 years I've owned it, and I've shared those frustrations on this forum. But I've recently managed to iron out all the wrinkles, and I'm honestly really happy with the final result.

I got the heavy-duty Hot Racing motor mount, the metal input and crown gears from the 4S rigs, a metal spur gear, and metal diff yokes. 20+ more packs through it since then, and zero issues. And I beat on it pretty hard. I land on full throttle a lot, I do donuts for 10 minutes straight like a moron...etc.

I know opinions vary in this community about whether the 3S vehicles are worth this kind of investment, and frankly, I was skeptical at first of putting this money into it. But I'm glad I did.

Honestly? I think the 3S rigs are worth upgrading until the weak points are gone. Yes, my total investment in my BR is equivalent to the cost of my Kraton 4S. But the BR is lightweight, fast, dirt-cheap to fix, reasonably easy to work on, and I never worry about it breaking. Parts cost pennies on the dollar from Jennys. And for all the drivetrain issues these vehicles have, I've never had any issues with the superstructure. The chassis, shock towers, bumpers, shocks, A-arms....All solid as a rock. I've never had any issues there. Probably helps that the truck weighs next to nothing.

Just wanted to share in case anyone was on the fence about getting one of these based on the chatter around the internet about their weak points. I'd like to see Arrma address the weak points in the future, but they're still good rigs for affordable bashing.
I've done similar upgrades to my 3s senton & typhon but only in the rear diff which takes the most abuse. Still have plastic spur and stock motor pinions also. Did manage to crack chassis in half off a ramp send but it was so worth it and new chassis was only 8 bucks. There stout little rigs if you ask me.

Heading in the same direction. For me it was the u-joints that kept popping out. Upgraded to GPM. Input gears were next to go. Going full metal drivetrain as final option. Swapping slipper clutch for a proper 4s center diff would be the last upgrade.

Big Rock is fun to drive...light and fast when its working.

Never mind what others think when it comes to the 3s platform. It's about what you think and how you feel as long as you enjoy it. Almost 4 years ago, I bought my first Arrma, a used 3s Senton. I dint consider it used anymore though. Because the 3s Senton I have today does not have one single part of the original used Senton I bought. In fact, it's completely brand spanking new at least twice since then. What I have spent on it could have gotten 3 brand new 3s Arrmas easily. But I don't have one single regret because I never did buy it as an investment. Well, not a monetary investment at least. It HAS been an investment in getting my foot in the door of this hobby and learning what the hobby had to teach me. Without that Senton, I'd be blind to the joys of 'lot ripping, crawling, and speed running.

The BRCC can sure take a beating out of the box. But modding mine gave it that extra edge of reliability.

This is a community. What works for one may not work for another. Take everything you read here with a grain of salt and do what is best for you.

I've beat the snot out of my BR and have had tons of crashes that made me wince. It drove away just fine. Similar crashes on my KEXB bent the chassis and broke bulkheads. No need to listen to the naysayers. Every truck has areas of the improvement or upgrades needed.

If you set the slipper properly and seal/clean the motor module, it’s pretty solid. If you don’t, you’ll have all kinds of problems.
Also do NOT send at full speed!

IMG_20230525_144937757_HDR.jpg

Back