Looking for some type of mat to wrench on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mag162

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Infraction
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Infraction 4x4
My youngest is starting a little side business wrenching on RC cars. He needs to get some sort of mat that will keep things better organized than just the bench top. Is there such a thing? I have a few felt ones for cleaning guns and such. Something with some ridges maybe to keep screws organized.

My youngest is starting a little side business wrenching on RC cars. He needs to get some sort of mat that will keep things better organized than just the bench top. Is there such a thing? I have a few felt ones for cleaning guns and such. Something with some ridges maybe to keep screws organized.

Just a couple of magnetic trays and one of these..

Screenshot_20240311-202622.png

Search "pit mats for rc cars" on Amazon. Find one that will cover the area he plans to work on. Will protect the surface and absorb some oil and grease. Unfortunately it isn't burn proof. I would also suggest finding a silicone soldering mat. One with small magnetic compartments on one side. Even if not soldering, he can place the screws from right to left and reverse the order when reassembling. Magnetic is important. He can bump the mat or the table and parts stay put. Some of those screws are tiny! Here's a few examples:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pit+mats+for+rc+cars

https://www.amazon.com/SEASWAL-Soldering-Resistant-Electronics-Workbench/dp/B075F3C6J3/

Last edited:
Unless he cares about having his favorite team logo/name displayed on the surface-good ol’ dirt cheap yoga mat from Wally World in his favorite color, and maybe a few mag trays from Harbor Freight.

RC Pit Mats are just a $8 yoga mat with their name printed on it, along with an 800% markup..

That being said-I use a JConcepts pit mat, and ECO Power plastic tray in my RC Cave, and love them. Also have a couple small mag trays from Tekin that they tossed in with my last order at no charge because they’re just killer folks to deal with..

IMG_3106.jpeg

My setup was around $45 all in, and could easily be duplicated as I stated above via Walmart, and The Freight for less than half that. I’m 46, so I can overspend on my RC habit on my own dime, and not lose any sleep at night.. 🤣🤙

I use an ice cube tray to store the screws/nuts I remove. Installing, I follow the reverse order which I stored them. Keeps the wrenching a bit more organized especially when it takes a few days before I begin the installation.

I use an ice cube tray to store the screws/nuts I remove. Installing, I follow the reverse order which I stored them. Keeps the wrenching a bit more organized especially when it takes a few days before I begin the installation.
That's a great idea, getting the screws back in order can be a chore. :rolleyes:

I bought another magnetic tray at harbor freight this past weekend for one dollar .how can you go wrong 👍😁

IMG_20240310_203724605.jpg

Here we thought you just had a few screws loose, but come to find out they are missing entirely. :D
I can't give you anything but 😘 for that comment 🥰🥰. ,you da best woodeeee😁

I don't mind loosing my screws,as long as I keep my NUTZ🤣🤣

Last edited:
Unless he cares about having his favorite team logo/name displayed on the surface-good ol’ dirt cheap yoga mat from Wally World in his favorite color, and maybe a few mag trays from Harbor Freight.

RC Pit Mats are just a $8 yoga mat with their name printed on it, along with an 800% markup..

That being said-I use a JConcepts pit mat, and ECO Power plastic tray in my RC Cave, and love them. Also have a couple small mag trays from Tekin that they tossed in with my last order at no charge because they’re just killer folks to deal with..

View attachment 354065

My setup was around $45 all in, and could easily be duplicated as I stated above via Walmart, and The Freight for less than half that. I’m 46, so I can overspend on my RC habit on my own dime, and not lose any sleep at night.. 🤣🤙

1710247051518.png

I can tell you're a Neat Freak...

Your workbench area makes mine look like absolute
Jurassic Park Poop GIF by Vidiots

poop diarrhea GIF

View attachment 354093
I can tell you're a Neat Freak...

Your workbench area makes mine look like absolute
Jurassic Park Poop GIF by Vidiots

poop diarrhea GIF
2.5 decades of automotive service work, about that in building racecars, and hotrods, 35yrs of RC, and now Industrial Maintenance for a living.. I just have a solid, longtime habit of picking my shiit up when it’s time to close up shop is all, lol.. I promise it doesn’t stay that way.. 😅🤷🏻‍♂️ I lol’d harrrrrrrd at the gifs.. 🤣🤣🤣🍺

I bought another magnetic tray at harbor freight this past weekend for one dollar .how can you go wrong 👍😁

View attachment 354075

I can't give you anything but 😘 for that comment 🥰🥰. ,you da best woodeeee😁

I don't mind loosing my screws,as long as I keep my NUTZ🤣🤣
Rcs on a pegboard? I do this and it works great.

Back