Limitless motor and esc selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew99s

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I am new to the arrma platform and recently got a limitless. I am trying to figure out what motor I want to run. I would like to make it capable of 8s and high speeds but I also want to be able to bash it and not worry too much about temps running 6s. I was thinking a max 5 esc and a tp 5660 1170kv but I don’t know much about selecting electronics any help would be great.

i would do the castle mamba monster x 8s combo with the 1717 1650kv motor
the max 5 will not fit the factory esc location.
1170kv is pretty low and will require a gigantic pinion gear to get the speed back, plus a 56 can motor will require a different motor mount
i ran the max6 in mine which was a perfect fit, but i swapped it out for the mmx8s because i was reaching the limit of the max6
i also run the hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor, which is great, but is now going into my mojave and being replaced with a tp4050

i would do the castle mamba monster x 8s combo with the 1717 1650kv motor
the max 5 will not fit the factory esc location.
1170kv is pretty low and will require a gigantic pinion gear to get the speed back, plus a 56 can motor will require a different motor mount
i ran the max6 in mine which was a perfect fit, but i swapped it out for the mmx8s because i was reaching the limit of the max6
i also run the hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor, which is great, but is now going into my mojave and being replaced with a tp4050
I ended up getting a tp 4070 2250kv and I’m going to pair it with the mmx8

I ended up getting a tp 4070 2250kv and I’m going to pair it with the mmx8
Great combo but watch your gearing when you get to bashing. There is no such thing as a gear ratio good for speed and bashing. Heat will always be a factor.

I am new to the arrma platform and recently got a limitless. I am trying to figure out what motor I want to run. I would like to make it capable of 8s and high speeds but I also want to be able to bash it and not worry too much about temps running 6s. I was thinking a max 5 esc and a tp 5660 1170kv but I don’t know much about selecting electronics any help would be great.
i have ran a few setups on the limitless. my favorite all around is castle mmx8s and 1717 combo for the money.

Great combo but watch your gearing when you get to bashing. There is no such thing as a gear ratio good for speed and bashing. Heat will always be a factor.
Yeah I am going to find a ratio for both speed and one for bashing to keep temps down

I think it depends on your definition of high speeds.
If you are looking to get up around 100mph (which is very very fast) then I agree a Max5 setup would be very reliable for you. The 1170KV is a bit too low. I would look to be around 1400kv or so with a Y-wind motor.

If you think you would ever want to go beyond 120mph then a Castle ESC is needed. The MMX8s is very capable up to 150mph and has been rock solid for me.

EDIT
Just noticed you already bought something the same day you posted this question.
+1 on what @Lovestricken said.

You will have to swap in a large 46t or 50t spur when bashing. Then go back to the 34t Spool when speed running.
The 2200kv will get hot in a hurry. Check temps with an IR gun often and get some fans on it.

Back