Liberty's Hobao VTE 2 1/7 speed journey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christmas in late January.
Scorched parts arrived. Only took 5 days. The express shipping was well worth the extra $10.

These parts are nice. I like the 3 hole mounting into the motor.

View attachment 273659

Some close up shots:

View attachment 273661View attachment 273660
View attachment 273662

View attachment 273663

View attachment 273664

A pair of different motors I'll try in the dual setup.
View attachment 273669
I've been thoroughly impressed with the Scorched motor mount and how solid the motor is.

Over the past month or so I have been modifying the delta plastiks FC100 body.
Mostly to tinker because I have to be tinkering with something....

2 Key areas that bugg me on this body.

1. The rear which I assume someone might mount a wing on, but most have found is not needed. I wanted to smooth this out.

1676306072674.png

I used some expanding foam and then coated it in body filler.
Reminds me of cake with butter cream frosting.

1676306133157.png

After some sanding:
1676306192049.png

My wrist really cannot handle sanding anymore so although I wanted to clean up a few spots.... I decided not to put myself into more pain and airbrushed some molotow liquid chrome on top and turned out pretty decent. I sprayed it light on these areas so it was not an ultra shiny chrome finish but more of an aluminum appearance.

1676306300536.png

2. The other part that is not great for smooth airflow is the front fender arches.

1676306359059.png

For the fender arches, I added layers of JB weld after sanding the plastic to give it something to bite on to. A few rounds of sanding and re-application till the shape was as rounded as I wanted. Then again sprayed over with Molotow liquid chrome. For this part, I sprayed heavily to give a nice chrome gloss finish.

1676306448652.png

There is more I could do..... absolutely! For now, I want to test this and see how it runs and I will likely continue to mod it later on.

Last edited:

1. The rear which I assume someone might mount a wing on, but most have found is not needed. I wanted to smooth this out.

View attachment 277915

View attachment 277916

After some sanding:
View attachment 277917

My wrist really cannot handle sanding anymore so although I wanted to clean up a few spots.... I decided not to put myself into more pain and airbrushed some molotow liquid chrome on top and turned out pretty decent. I sprayed it light on these areas so it was not an ultra shiny chrome finish but more of an aluminum appearance.

View attachment 277918

2. The other part that is not great for smooth airflow is the front fender arches.

View attachment 277919

For the fender arches, I added layers of JB weld after sanding the plastic to give it something to bite on to. A few rounds of sanding and re-application till the shape was as rounded as I wanted. Then again sprayed over with Molotow liquid chrome. For this part, I sprayed heavily to give a nice chrome gloss finish.

View attachment 277920

There is more I could do..... absolutely! For now, I want to test this and see how it runs and I will likely continue to mod it later on.
Are all these problems fixed on your FC100 custom high-speed body?

View attachment 277915

View attachment 277916

After some sanding:
View attachment 277917

View attachment 277918

View attachment 277919

View attachment 277920

Looks great! Sorry about your wrist, that’s hard.

Are all these problems fixed on your FC100 custom high-speed body?
Yes.
I was torn about doing this because now I cannot test the differences against the custom body as well........ however, that custom body has other benefits like the driver's canopy removal, additional streamlining, and the rear vacuum reduction.
Looks great! Sorry about your wrist, that’s hard.
Thanks, getting old sucks LOL

Last edited:
I noticed a few guys had upgraded their axles on the Hoboa cars (VTE and VTE2)
Several said the stock axles would bend on them. For a preventative measure, I got the optional upgraded axles to be installed later when I swap to the dual motor setup. +Aluminum rear hubs.

1678819532079.png

F I N A L L Y !!!!!!!!!!!!

The weather is going to align with a Saturaday morning!!!

1679596295488.png

Only running 2s and 3s on Saturday morning, but very excited to get out there and run again.
Hoping for some new PBs!!!!

I put some new full 103 mm diameter BSR purples on it for some extra diameter during 2s use. No need to wear down the trued-down tires that are meant for high speeds.

Re-geared the spur for 2s use and oiled up all the bearings. I found the 2 spool bearings were a little crunchy and the spur I had on there was loose so it was good timing to go through the car!

Very successful weekend with the VTE2 and first runs using a gyro. I'll have to compare on 4s as that was where the car was all over the road on a later date.

3.25.23 runs went as follows.

2s runs using parallel Onyx 9600 mAh packs.
First pass 103mph (very happy with the result and happy to finally break triple digits on 3s.)
Second pass geared up a few teeth ran 107mph (great to see gains as expected and everything was cool so I geared up again)
Third pass 109 mph making me tied up with @chris adams for the #2 spot with a 1/7 scale on 2s!

3s Runs
Decided to swap over to running 3s because I needed to start on the long drive back home in about 1 hr.
1st run on 3s with the Onyx LHB 6600 packs with mild gearing went 130 which is a 1/7 scale 3s record as far as I know.
Thrilled and a little overexcited I geared up a bit too much and ran 134 mph on the second 3s pass. Setting the bar higher on the 3s record, but I think by reducing the gearing I can go even faster and push this car towards 140 on 3s which will blow some minds!!!!

This car continues to amaze and run fantastically on each outing.

Very successful weekend with the VTE2 and first runs using a gyro. I'll have to compare on 4s as that was where the car was all over the road on a later date.

First pass 103mph (very happy with the result and happy to finally break triple digits on 3s.)
Second pass geared up a few teeth ran 107mph (great to see gains as expected and everything was cool so I geared up again)
Third pass 109 mph making me tied up with @chris adams for the #2 spot with a 1/7 scale on 2s!

3s Runs
Decided to swap over to running 3s because I needed to start on the long drive back home in about 1 hr.
1st run on 3s with the Onyx LHB 6600 packs with mild gearing went 130 which is a 1/7 scale 3s record as far as I know.
Thrilled and a little overexcited I geared up a bit too much and ran 134 mph on the second 3s pass. Setting the bar higher on the 3s record, but I think by reducing the gearing I can go even faster and push this car towards 140 on 3s which will blow some minds!!!!

Congratulations on those runs!!
I'm sure you'll reach even higher speeds Real soon 💪🤘

3s Runs

Awesome! Keep going! Excited to see where you get with this!

@liberty I very much look forward to trying to chase you down on 3s but I may have damaged on of my lipos. On 2s I think I have a better shot at possibly keeping pace with that rocket of a vte2 you built. Regardless of position its great fun to be had.

@liberty I very much look forward to trying to chase you down on 3s but I may have damaged on of my lipos. On 2s I think I have a better shot at possibly keeping pace with that rocket of a vte2 you built. Regardless of position its great fun to be had.
Agreed it makes it much more fun to compete with friends. We just compete from thousands of miles away 🤣

@LibertyMKiii youtube shorts are great fir getting subs. Timing is pretty important though with the upload as iyou want it to be in people shorts feed when they get off work or when the lay down at night and do some tube surfing.
If you have an old cellphone, you could set it up on a tripod for an easy shorts video that's also a different view from your main video. My channel is tiny but I've had shorts hit a few thousand views within a couple hours.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back