Liberty's Hobao VTE 2 1/7 speed journey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Starting a build thread for the Hobao VTE 2.
Ordered a Delta plastiks ferrari F50 body. The f40 was the bedroom wall poster in the 90's.
I had to have one for the 1/7 scale!
Delta shows this body in orange and white as a Malbro race car version. I feel this looks terrible compared to the typical red seen on the street version.

***EDIT 01/06 I don't recommend this body for this car due to the front body mount placement***

Screenshot_20220101-124215_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220101-122001_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220101-121954_Gallery.jpg

20220101_122204.jpg

Last edited:
Mine just arrived. My question for you Francis would be is this going to be a speed build or a basher?

Mine just arrived. My question for you Francis would be is this going to be a speed build or a basher?
Drag and bashing for now. The 200+ build is my speed build for the first half of this year.
I may convert the setup for speed mid-summer if I get a carbon body for it or maybe a ford fc100

Did a quick review video:

Drag and bashing for now. The 200+ build is my speed build for the first half of this year.
I may convert the setup for speed mid-summer if I get a carbon body for it or maybe a ford fc100

Did a quick review video:

What’s your gut say for motor placement for speed runs? Not going to hold you to it, just trying to get some input for when I put mine together. I’m feeling like simply flipping it to put the motor on the same side as a Typhon/Mojave instead of the stock location of the Infraction. I will have to see how likely it will be to run the CNHL 6000mah 70C packs in that orientation.

I remember seeing old John Carmack zipping around Dallas & Mesquite in his F40 back in the day...

Sub'd to see more of your build 👍

What’s your gut say for motor placement for speed runs? Not going to hold you to it, just trying to get some input for when I put mine together. I’m feeling like simply flipping it to put the motor on the same side as a Typhon/Mojave instead of the stock location of the Infraction. I will have to see how likely it will be to run the CNHL 6000mah 70C packs in that orientation.

I have to assume this chassis will "behave" exactly like the Limitless/Infraction.
James McCoy has told me the balance of the car (for speed use) is best when the motor is in the back position and batteries are in the front position.

That is my plan and might have it setup today if my back pain subsides.

Also the motor mount is specifically setup for M3 screws and my TP motor is setup with M4 mounting. I'll need to drill out the motor mount to accommodate M4 screws.

Those foams are for the body posts ;)

On my old VTE i have this prototype diffuser

View attachment 190395
I wonder if it's worthwhile to do some underbody/rear aero improvements, or just go for keeping the rear unrestricted

Someone mentioned that on the video comments and I now have them installed on the body posts. (inserted my foot in my mouth)
It appears to lower the body posts you have to cut them? I don't like that design much compared to how its done on the infraction. I think I may order the infraction ones and remove at least the rear ones.

I too would like to develop a diffuser for it. That seems like a great option for the 2 part forged carbon mold that you had posted.

I have already sent @PPS-RC a message hoping we can get a motor mount for this car 🙏

48t spur does not fit the chassis as expected that I want to run initially so I have to do some cutting.

Someone mentioned that on the video comments and I now have them installed on the body posts. (inserted my foot in my mouth)
It appears to lower the body posts you have to cut them? I don't like that design much compared to how its done on the infraction. I think I may order the infraction ones and remove at least the rear ones.

I too would like to develop a diffuser for it. That seems like a great option for the 2 part forged carbon mold that you had posted.

I have already sent @PPS-RC a message hoping we can get a motor mount for this car 🙏

48t spur does not fit the chassis as expected that I want to run initially so I have to do some cutting.
The infraction body posts design is good for low bodies, but not really sturdy. For out of the box, this is much stronger, yet better serving monster truck then GT bodies.

As for the diffuser. At least the VTE2 chassis rear isn't so complex as the infraction. It wont be too hard to design a part that fits as a glove. The car will need some rake to create room for the angle to start below the A arms. It's very likely i give it an attempt soon.

I tried fitting some motors. It's nice to see it can actually run a 4070 facing frontwards (running the rear holes).
Going to starting with a 4040. Keeping power and weight low. Crash less while i get familiar with the car without getting chaotic data from raw power.

Somehow I want to focus more on the peak G force it can pull, rather than drag or topspeed. I got my limitless for speed. The VTE2 deserves a different challenge.

I edited this first post. I don't recommend this body due to the front body mount post locations. They line up with the hood vents in a spot where they are not flat. I might keep the body as a shelf queen or just sell it later on (undecided)

The rear body mounts are just too long and stupid. This Ferrari body is flat across the back and still the mounts are way too long. I need to order the rear infraction mounts and use them instead I am thinking.

Moving on....
I wanted to run a 48t spur for drag and street bashing use. You can do this in the original front motor position (assuming you have a motor at 104mm or shorter. I wanted to run the TP4070 which is 107mm and in the rear position. Moving the motor to the rear position does not have a cut out in the chassis oddly enough so I had to cut one. If you were using a 34t spur it wouldn't contact the chassis and would be fine, but the 48t is much larger.

I might just hack off that little bar that is left, but for now it works

1641494240050.png

1641494285412.png

48/22 with the 1700kv motor should put it right around 80-90 mph depending on the voltage drop.

FYI the motor mount seems rather floppy. I can push and pull on the motor and see it moving around.

Next up I mounted the ESC plate (just an 90 degree aluminum piece) 3M tape holding it in.
Same for the RX box that I moved.

1641494413351.png

ESC mounted Capture.PNG

Kind of sad that this build is almost done.... I was having fun!

Following.

Hopefully I'll get one on the 2nd shipment..
@LibertyMKiii
BTW- How are those powerhobby tires (?) on other speed run you have done? All I've been reading are, those no good?

Following.

Hopefully I'll get one on the 2nd shipment..
@LibertyMKiii
BTW- How are those powerhobby tires (?) on other speed run you have done? All I've been reading are, those no good?
Have not tried the tires yet so I cannot say. I doubt they handle anything over 80 mph well. They do look nice though!!!!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update on the build I have been working on the body mounting.
For the rear I flipped up side down the arrma mounts and cut them a little to reduce the overall height that the 1.25" quick release mounts will sit on.
The Arrma mounts "bolt right on" BTW.

I put some red loctite on the threads as it seemed like they could come loose easily after some use.

rear posts.PNG

Next was the front. Due to the placement of the hood vents I couldn't run the original VTE front body post locations. I decided again to use an Arrma mount and drilled 2 holes in the shock tower to mount the Arrma mount sideways. Then took a torch and bent the quick release threaded stud 90 deg. After that I painted the visible quick release button to match the body.
I'll admit its not the prettiest placement for a body mount and they are large, but overall the car looks dang good and got the body sitting low how I wanted it!

front center Capture.PNG

1Capture.PNG

quick release Capture.PNG

Next up I am working on some magnets for the sides so the tires don't damage the paint. The front 2 can utilize the existing holes for the battery blocks. The rear 2 I drilled and tapped threads for m3 screws.

side magnets.PNG

It is almost ready for the first test run!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back