Let's see those crawlers and trail runners!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20220305_231142.jpg
20220305_231353.jpg

That's been on my wish list for a while now. I love the look. Hows the kit?
It's still in the box, but it looks great. I need to finish working on the Ecto before I start playing with the MST. It gets too complicated having multiple projects going in limited space.
The unimog is the newest addition don't know if I wanna drive it or sell it because its in such great shape and I paid way to little for it.
View attachment 204573View attachment 204574View attachment 204575View attachment 204576View attachment 204577

View attachment 204578
I wanted a Unimog really bad, but didn't realize that by the time I got into crawling, it had been discontinued. Still wish I could snag one for a reasonable price. One day one will come around again. (y)

Just got started into it, enjoying it. Way different than what I'm normally used too. Gotta learn weight transfers. Seems like it wants to dip or roll.

View attachment 204536
Yeah its all about unpsrung weight working to your advantage. ( below the Chassis rails) While keeping a low CoG.

Yeah its all about unpsrung weight working to your advantage. ( below the Chassis rails) While keeping a low CoG.

That is the main downside of the Defender I have....

to.compensate for the weight of the big body and thus higher center of gravity, I threw on various brass aftermarket parts down low.

Well, that that was enough to show that the stock servo was not up to task so I put in a much needed upgrade.

Another section of the crawler environment involves ultra lights....

Rigs that are built with the least possible amount of weight, especially above the rails.

While bashers of a wide array of options, crawlers takes it to the next level....

Last edited:
That is the main downside of the Defender I have....

to.compensate for the weight of the big body and thus hire center of gravity, I threw on various brass aftermarket parts down low.

Well, that that was enough to show that the stock servo was not up to task so I put in a much needed upgrade.

Another section of the crawler environment involves ultra lights....

Rigs that are built with the least possible amount of weight, especially above the rails.

While bashers of a wide array of options, crawlers takes it to the next level....
Big time next level. I spent a lot of money because of trial and error and I'm just a "backyard" crawler guy.

Big time next level. I spent a lot of money because of trial and error and I'm just a "backyard" crawler guy.
I was blown away by the crazy assortment of aftermarket parts/accessories/ scale doodads for the crawler crowd. Pull behind trailers from small to huge, etc etc.

My most expensive rig was my crawler....it took a K8EXB build to compete money wise......now I'm not sure which cost more....

I have visited various crawler forums for info.... The one I learned the most from I wouldn't recommend because they were ........ummmmm.......not polite ....not helpful in the sense of response to questions. The information was there if you dig for it. But I saw many questions, mine included, blown off .....

Sorry for getting sidetracked....it made me appreciate this forum more

I was blown away by the crazy assortment of aftermarket parts/accessories/ scale doodads for the crawler crowd. Pull behind trailers from small to huge, etc etc.

My most expensive rig was my crawler....it took a K8EXB build to compete money wise......now I'm not sure which cost more....

I have visited various crawler forums for info.... The one I learned the most from I wouldn't recommend because they were ........ummmmm.......not polite ....not helpful in the sense of response to questions. The information was there if you dig for it. But I saw many questions, mine included, blown off .....

Sorry for getting sidetracked....it made me appreciate this forum more
I got back into the hobby with crawlers but never looked at forums. I just watched reviews of the ones that caught my attention.
This is the 1st (and only so far) forum I've been on. I lurked for a while before my 1st post. I got my K6 before deciding to join the forum and was glad to see that my setup wasnt uncommon and I didnt mess up. :ROFLMAO:

I got back into the hobby with crawlers but never looked at forums. I just watched reviews of the ones that caught my attention.
This is the 1st (and only so far) forum I've been on. I lurked for a while before my 1st post. I got my K6 before deciding to join the forum and was glad to see that my setup wasnt uncommon and I didnt mess up. :ROFLMAO:

I will wholeheartedly recommend these two channels on YouTube when it comes to crawlers.

Holmes Hobbies.....dude knows his stuff.....he is self made and is totally geared into crawlers
. His motors , even the $20 ones, are better than almost all stock motors that are labelled the same

RC Review.....this guy has had many insightful videos.....he was mostly crawlers for quite a while, but has branched out to cover different stuff....

He tries to be unbiased, tries to reveal strengths and weaknesses of all tested products, and shares this in a way where someone new can learn, as well as someone who is deep in the hobby even at a competition level.

I am just someone who lives in an area that a crawler would be super cool, and it is very much different than going 40 or 50 miles an hour flying over ramps and stuff. I doubt that I will ever go ultra high-end on any of my RCs.......but they sure are fun, and those two websites helped me make good decisions for crawlers.

Sounds like you made some good decisions on your K6!

Last edited:
I will wholeheartedly recommend these two channels on YouTube when it comes to crawlers.

Holmes Hobbies.....dude knows his stuff.....he is self made and is totally geared into crawlers
. His motors , even the $20 ones, are better than almost all stock motors that are labelled the same

RC Review.....this guy has had many insightful videos.....the was mostly crawlers for quite a while, but has branched out to cover different stuff....

He tries to be unbiased, tries to reveal strengths and weaknesses of all tested products, and shares this in a way where someone new can learn, as well as someone who is deep in the hobby even at a competition level.

I am just someone who lives in an area that a crawler would be super cool, and it is very much different than going 40 or 50 miles an hour flying over ramps and stuff. I doubt that I will ever go ultra high-end on any of my RCs.......but they sure are fun, and those two websites helped me make good decisions for crawlers.

Sounds like you made some good decisions on your K6!
I'll check them out thanks!
For the time being I have unfinished projects that I need to finish then maybe I'll get another crawler.
It's so much easier to have fun with a crawler...though the rabbit hole is deeper.:LOL:

@grihn you got me all into this thing again with this thread. 🤪
Got rid of they sway bar, relocated rear shocks, replaced broken axle pin. Ready for action!

View attachment 204874

Glad I could help light the fire! It's looking great. Crawling is seriously so much fun! And once you get your rig built, it's much cheaper to maintain than a basher. I haven't broken anything significant on a crawler ever, and even the few parts that I have broke have been cheap and it's only happened a few times.

@grihn you got me all into this thing again with this thread. 🤪
Got rid of they sway bar, relocated rear shocks, replaced broken axle pin. Ready for action!

View attachment 204874

That thing is just to pretty to roll on the rocks lol.
This is the wife's crawler.

Attachments

• 20220103_110018.jpg
    20220103_110018.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220103_092206.jpg
    20220103_092206.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220103_093209.jpg
    20220103_093209.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 40
Yeah I wasted a lot of money buying the Everest 10 when this is what it is now. I think all that's left of the Everest 10 is the electronics.

Back