Let’s talk ESC + Motor for a 1/10 4wd SCT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
  2. Typhon TLR
Hey All,

I’ve been researching ESC/motor combo’s and my head kinda hurts now - lol. This will be for a 4wd losi SCTE (OG version)

I’m leaning towards a Hobbywing set up - EZrun Max 10 G2 for the ESC but not sure the best motor size/KV.

I’d like to be able to run in both 2s and 3s. Will be primarily a basher, but might track it occasionally. I’d like it to be fast, fun, but drivable - lol.

Spur gear is Mod 1, 40t, pinion still TBD.

Thinking around a 3000-3800 KV motor? Would 2400kv be just way too much torque?

Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The sweet spot for an SCT is around 3200kv or 3300kv: anything lower will not give you the speed you need, and anything higher might not provide adequate torque for off-road use. I run 3200kv in many of my 1/10 scale RC vehicles. Most factory transmissions are designed around 46-52T spur gears: a 40T spur gear is more appropriate for a speed runner on pavement, not an off-road vehicle. One of the best combos I have is a Casle Copperhead 10 SCT ESC with a Castle 3200kv motor. I have run Hobbywing Max10 SCT (older version) up to 3300kv for offroad, and up to 4000kv for pavement.

I'd say 3000-3500kv for off road. Anything under 3000 will be a dog on 2s, anything over 3500 will run hot off road on 3s. 3660-3665 can size. I'd say 3670 but, you'll be hard pressed to find a 3670 available over say 2600kv.
I put a 3670 2600kv in my Tekno sct. On 3s with 20/46 gearing, it's just fast enough for my liking, it'll run 4s but things are a bit too crazy speed wise, and the handling is poop with 4s weight for the batteries I have (5200mah).

2400kv is a very much 4s motor. Unless you plan to run 4s exclusively, i'd get something a little higher (closer to 3000) so you can run 3s as well.

The motor you buy depends on what your goals are. If you're racing, i imagine you'd want something lighter like a 3660 can with high KV. Ultimately, KV will be determined by what cell lipo you plan to run. 4s - 2500 to 3000ish kv, 3s - 2600 to 3400ish kv. If this is for bashing, i'd say go as big as you can! 3670 or 3674 size and around 3000kv so you can run 3s and 4s.

I'm personally running a 3660 can 3200kv on 4s, but that's also cause i'm crazy and don't have the budget to get something else!

I have a Losi SCTE 3.0 , but it is set up for carpet and turf , I run a Tekin RX8 gen 3 / HW 3660 4300kv on 2s .
I’ve read the Tekin’s are super nice!! Are you running the stock Spur 40t spur!
Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like 3200-3600KV is the sweet spot.

I am getting confused on the actual motor sizes now - lol. (IE 550can vs a 3360can, etc)

My motor Mount can support I believe a 550 (stock Losi SCTE Mount).

Last edited:
OK - I found a good video that explains the actual physical motor size and naming conventions.

All the above recommendations make a lot more sense now - lol!

-550/540 are 1/10 naming conventions and refer to the length of the motor. Any 550/540 will be 36mm diameter. These are standard 1/10 sized motors.

-The 3650 naming convention is just the 1st two digits are the diameter and the last 2 are the length. Longer motors will provide increased torque (more magnets, etc).

36mm diameter is a standard 1/10 sized motor. (So anything 36xx would be in the range for a 1/10)

This is a good video if anyone is interested, it explains it pretty well!

Thanks again for the recommendations above. Super super helpful!!

Good stuff👍 shorter can for lightweight, long for heavyweights👌
Lol , yup !

780885B5-77E4-45C0-8E95-5FD965E24851.jpeg

Yeah 3,200 - 3,500 would be perfect for 3s . Those of us that run on our 4WD SCT's on our medium indoor carpet ( geared down ) and bigger outdoor turf run 4,300-4,600kv's . And always on 2s .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. Based on the recommendations and what I could find in-stock/available and in my price range, here’s what I’ve come up:

- HW Max G2 EZ Run 140a ESC

- HW EZ Run 3660 SL 3200kv

Use will be primarily bashing on 2 & 3s.

Will this combo make a good/fun off road basher set up?

Thanks!

2400kv is a very much 4s motor. Unless you plan to run 4s exclusively, i'd get something a little higher (closer to 3000) so you can run 3s as well.

The motor you buy depends on what your goals are. If you're racing, i imagine you'd want something lighter like a 3660 can with high KV. Ultimately, KV will be determined by what cell lipo you plan to run. 4s - 2500 to 3000ish kv, 3s - 2600 to 3400ish kv. If this is for bashing, i'd say go as big as you can! 3670 or 3674 size and around 3000kv so you can run 3s and 4s.

I'm personally running a 3660 can 3200kv on 4s, but that's also cause i'm crazy and don't have the budget to get something else!
That's some good info, Thanks !
I just bought a HW EZrun Max10 G2 140A and a G3 3665-2400KV motor, a metal center diff and Robinson Racing .8 22T Pinion and a .8 50T Spur, a long with some other upgrades for a Traxxas Ford Fiesta ST Rally.
Not have any experience in the RC car world but the little research I've done in the last two weeks, I hope I got the right gearing, what do you think?
I know, I probably should have gone with a 3200kv.

Last edited:
Could I post on this topic? I’m a newbie with sct I got a slash I’m working on building and I’m trying to figure out what combo to run, I was wanting a onroad/dirt track basher that’s quick that I could run on 3s for speed and 2s to mess with on the dirt. I was looking at 4 different makes of motors but after seeing this I’m not sure was kv to get. I thought higher the kv is the quicker it would go (faster rpm) but am I wrong? I was looking at the turnigy 5400kv motor and either castle sidewinder 4 or the hobby wing esc or going with a combo from either hobby wing or castle. I also heard the velineon is also pretty solid which direction should I go for my needs?

Could I post on this topic? I’m a newbie with sct I got a slash I’m working on building and I’m trying to figure out what combo to run, I was wanting a onroad/dirt track basher that’s quick that I could run on 3s for speed and 2s to mess with on the dirt. I was looking at 4 different makes of motors but after seeing this I’m not sure was kv to get. I thought higher the kv is the quicker it would go (faster rpm) but am I wrong? I was looking at the turnigy 5400kv motor and either castle sidewinder 4 or the hobby wing esc or going with a combo from either hobby wing or castle. I also heard the velineon is also pretty solid which direction should I go for my needs?
Hey there. I am not the resident expert, but can share that I am very happy with the Hobbywing combo I got. (Based on the recommendations from members in this thread)

- HW Max G2 EZ Run 140a ESC

- HW EZ Run 3660 SL 3200kv

It’s plenty zippy on 2s for bashing around. It’s been fun enough that I haven’t even run 3s through it yet - lol. It’s surprisingly quick on 2S.

So far no overheating issues, and loads of fun! And I run the hell out of it for like 40 min.

Gearing will play a large factor as well. I forget the overall gear ratio I set, I’ll see if I can find it and post.

EDIT: I am pretty sure I set the FDR (final drive ratio) to around 9.7 or so.

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4322.jpeg

Hey, need some more information, like is your Slash a 2wd or 4wd, and is it heavy (heavily modified by having a lot of alloy upgrades on it)?

I believe I have the exact combo you mentioned
...if you are talking about the Turnigy XK 3650 - 5400kv purple anodised motor.
I have that motor, hard to get as It's ALWAYS sold out and thats because its an inexpensive monster of a motor! It is a Handwound factory motor having been tested some 13 times during its "in house" build. I had one in my heavily mod'ed Rustler 2wd with the same ESC u mentioned ..the Castle SW4. That motor with that Sidewinder made that truck a missile! It was a wheelie king! (doesn't take much to make a rustler 2wd a wheelie monster, but it does take a lil to make it pop em at any speed on any incline on any surface!). I weighted the front but then swapped it into a spare Slash 2wd, less wheelies but also just a missle. So I did what I think anyone would do, I put a wheelie bar on it, and modded the suspension for Drag and Speed Runs. So if your bashing then no , you don't want that motor, but u said "on-road/dirt track" so that motor & esc combo werx'd well for me on both trux! SC4 has weak BEC so I recommend you get a BUCK converter or just do like everyone else and get a BEC. Then run only your ESC fan off the SC4 BEC and run your servo and motor fan off the new BEC. You will want a motor heatsink and fan, i used just a fan and was fine, the type that mounts with just a slim clamp, and i added a thermistor so the fan only operated when it needed to, saving precious power in battz for racing. They sell adjustable clamp style motor mounts with fans for under $15/$10. You can upgrade one with a better hi rpm/hi volt fan.
You can go Hobbywing as well, if 2wd slash then a HW EzRun 60a or the EzRun Max10 60a ESC would be just fine. I would recommend the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 G2 80 Amp Sensored Brushless Waterproof ESC/3652SD Sensored Motor Combo. @ around $125 for the 3300kv. It has Turbo in the programming options to turn up the motor timing at a time and amount of your choosing, its an economical and great quality combo with room to grow.
And 3300kv is a sweet spot for almost ANY rc, its hard to go wrong with it, you can gear it for some speed without worrying about overheating and it has torque to back your rc up when going in and out turns or ramping up for a jump.
Just a great KV in the the 1:10 scale world.
Just as happy in a touring/rally car as it is in an SCT.

If your Slash is 4wd then FORGET ALL.OF THAT about the Turnigy XK & SW4! 😂 The Sidewinder 4 , although used by many in 4wd its not recommended for 4wd by Castle.
Castle actually rates their ESC's by scale of car they are made for, # of axles that are drivetrain powered , and by the weight of the R.C. So its important to go into your ESC purchace knowing your RC's stats. If your looking at that Turnigy 5400kv on HobbyKing then while on their site check out the Trackstar brushless 550 SCT motors, there are two KVs available, great motor for 2wd or 4wd SCT and affordable and powerful and reliable. Last time i checked the 550 SCT Brushless motors were in stock in the states.

Last edited:
Hey, need some more information, like is your Slash a 2wd or 4wd, and is it heavy (heavily modified by having a lot of alloy upgrades on it)?

I believe I have the exact combo you mentioned
...if you are talking about the Turnigy XK 3650 - 5400kv purple anodised motor.
I have that motor, hard to get as It's ALWAYS sold out and thats because its an inexpensive monster of a motor! It is a Handwound factory motor having been tested some 13 times during its "in house" build. I had one in my heavily mod'ed Rustler 2wd with the same ESC u mentioned ..the Castle SW4. That motor with that Sidewinder made that truck a missile! It was a wheelie king! (doesn't take much to make a rustler 2wd a wheelie monster, but it does take a lil to make it pop em at any speed on any incline on any surface!). I weighted the front but then swapped it into a spare Slash 2wd, less wheelies but also just a missle. So I did what I think anyone would do, I put a wheelie bar on it, and modded the suspension for Drag and Speed Runs. So if your bashing then no , you don't want that motor, but u said "on-road/dirt track" so that motor & esc combo werx'd well for me on both trux! SC4 has weak BEC so I recommend you get a BUCK converter or just do like everyone else and get a BEC. Then run only your ESC fan off the SC4 BEC and run your servo and motor fan off the new BEC. You will want a motor heatsink and fan, i used just a fan and was fine, the type that mounts with just a slim clamp, and i added a thermistor so the fan only operated when it needed to, saving precious power in battz for racing. They sell adjustable clamp style motor mounts with fans for under $15/$10. You can upgrade one with a better hi rpm/hi volt fan.
You can go Hobbywing as well, if 2wd slash then a HW EzRun 60a or the EzRun Max10 60a ESC would be just fine. I would recommend the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 G2 80 Amp Sensored Brushless Waterproof ESC/3652SD Sensored Motor Combo. @ around $125 for the 3300kv. It has Turbo in the programming options to turn up the motor timing at a time and amount of your choosing, its an economical and great quality combo with room to grow.
And 3300kv is a sweet spot for almost ANY rc, its hard to go wrong with it, you can gear it for some speed without worrying about overheating and it has torque to back your rc up when going in and out turns or ramping up for a jump.
Just a great KV in the the 1:10 scale world.
Just as happy in a touring/rally car as it is in an SCT.

If your Slash is 4wd then FORGET ALL.OF THAT about the Turnigy XK & SW4! 😂 The Sidewinder 4 , although used by many in 4wd its not recommended for 4wd by Castle.
Castle actually rates their ESC's by scale of car they are made for, # of axles that are drivetrain powered , and by the weight of the R.C. So its important to go into your ESC purchace knowing your RC's stats. If your looking at that Turnigy 5400kv on HobbyKing then while on their site check out the Trackstar brushless 550 SCT motors, there are two KVs available, great motor for 2wd or 4wd SCT and affordable and powerful and reliable. Last time i checked the 550 SCT Brushless motors were in stock in the states.
Thx but ended up going hobbywing quicrun bl120 esc with the quicrun 3660 3700kv cause I wanted to run 2 and 3s I’m kinda happy with it not the best but it’s fun can’t complain cheap too. I build the 2wd from ground up all the parts that my other slash broke I made sure to put rpm stuff on but it’s a sick ride

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back