Big Rock Just picked up a Big Rock 3s - any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitaldave

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite Grom
Hi all. I picked up a Big rock 3S this morning, to add to my existing Granite Grom that I haven't had for long either. I'm planning on taking it out tomorrow for some bashing at a local park, weather permitting. The battery I got with it is an Overlander 3S 5000mAh 35C that the store recommended. I also have a couple of 2S gensacearespammers batteries that I can use as well. I don't have any long term plans for it yet, other than looking at maybe getting a different body like the Proline Jeep Gladiator or Bronco R.

Is there anything that I should know as a new Big Rock owner? Would a hardcase battery be a good idea? The one I got is a regular one. Anything else I should think about either short or long term?

Thanks.

Hi all. I picked up a Big rock 3S this morning, to add to my existing Granite Grom that I haven't had for long either. I'm planning on taking it out tomorrow for some bashing at a local park, weather permitting. The battery I got with it is an Overlander 3S 5000mAh 35C that the store recommended. I also have a couple of 2S gensacearespammers batteries that I can use as well. I don't have any long term plans for it yet, other than looking at maybe getting a different body like the Proline Jeep Gladiator or Bronco R.

Is there anything that I should know as a new Big Rock owner? Would a hardcase battery be a good idea? The one I got is a regular one. Anything else I should think about either short or long term?

Thanks.
Welcome aboard! I prefer hardcase myself, and usually 50c minimum, but for a stock truck, that should work just fine.

Took it out for a drive this morning in a local park with a sort of BMX pump track thing. Only ran it on 2S as I've never run anything as large as the Big Rock, and never run anything 3S. The 2S was fine for starting out, although I could have just gone with the 3S and used the speed limiter on the TX.

What have I learned? Don't try to turn when running full throttle - friction rolls! It spent quite a lot of time on it's roof! Will that be less of a problem on other surfaces like dirt?

Pretty stable..takes time getting used to how it handles. Stock suspension is a bit soft...can try thicker fluid or upgrade the shocks to Typhon 6s

I've owned the BR for almost 2 years and have put dozens of batteries through it. I bash it hard.

From my personal experience, you'll probably eventually need to get an upgraded motor mount, metal crown gears, and metal input gears. YMMV but these are common and known failure points on these rigs.

I went through 3 stock motor mounts before I upgraded to the Hot Racing heavy-duty mount on Amazon, and my crown and input gears turned to cheese within the first dozen packs. Upgraded them, and I've had no issues since.

Also --- I only drive on dirt and grass, and I almost never have issues with rolling. It's a very stable platform compared to most 1/10 scales, I think.

Back