Hobbywing Max10 SCT Issues (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, it's 4A continuous/8A max.

I have mine set at 6V and punch set at 2.

What packs are you using? Brand, capacity, C rating?

So far, I've only run mine like 5 minutes just to suss out the gearing in my parking lot. It was a lot more agressive than the castle sct sv3/3800kv it replaced. I may have to increase my center diff oil weight some. Seems to really unload to the front now. Will hopefully get out tomorrow to see how it does at the skate parks.

Turnigy Graphene, 5000mAh, 65C discharge. Great batteries.

Due to this thread, I decided to install the mini cap pack. Never put one on before and since the wires are soldered to the board, I cut a couple notches in the input wire and just ziptied the wire and it to the wire to hopefully take some strain off the solder joints. I also coated the board with cow rc conformal coating.

2019-0316-Stampede-HobbywingMax10SCT-OEMCapPack.jpg

I run a hitec 5985MG servo in my stampede. It's what I had on hand with the 2075 I had in it broke. It's stall current is 2.6A. Since I have my EPA's set to stop before full lock, I should be pulling less than that from normal driving.

Due to this thread, I decided to install the mini cap pack. Never put one on before and since the wires are soldered to the board, I cut a couple notches in the input wire and just ziptied the wire and it to the wire to hopefully take some strain off the solder joints. I also coated the board with cow rc conformal coating.

2019-0316-Stampede-HobbywingMax10SCT-OEMCapPack.jpg

I run a hitec 5985MG servo in my stampede. It's what I had on hand with the 2075 I had in it broke. It's stall current is 2.6A. Since I have my EPA's set to stop before full lock, I should be pulling less than that from normal driving.
Did you pop out the red wire on the receiver plug from the ESC?

Did you pop out the red wire on the receiver plug from the ESC?
No? Why would I do that? The cap pack is for the main power leads, not the receiver.

From the manual:
3. External CapPack Wiring (Optional)
If the temperature of the capacitor is consistently above 85? when in use, you need to connect an external cappack (stock accessory included in the product box) to Red & Black power
wires (the input end of the ESC). Otherwise, the insufficient capability of the on-board cappack may cause capacitors to swell or even explode. The ESC may be damaged and no longer
work. Please connect an external cappack to your ESC by referring to the wiring diagram (as shown on the right side). The sequence is connecting Red/Positive to Red/Positive,
Black/Negative to Black/Negative.

No? Why would I do that? The cap pack is for the main power leads, not the receiver.

From the manual:
You pop out the red wire from the connector (ugh forget name, the one that goes to receiver) because the cap pack replaces the internal BEC, unless HW states otherwise

They also make a splitter. “Holmes hobbies bypass adapter”

You pop out the red wire from the connector (ugh forget name, the one that goes to receiver) because the cap pack replaces the internal BEC, unless HW states otherwise

A cap pack does not replace the BEC, It just stores energy so it does not have to pull it from the battery as fast. What u are talking about is using an external bec and a reciver bypass adapter.

I bought two Max10 SCT ESC's with the HW 3660 3200Kv motors a little over a month ago. I installed them in my Granite and my Big Rock Crew Cab. They ran fine out of the box. I noticed a little cogging but nothing like the stock BLX100 system. Each time I took the trucks out the cogging became more and more noticeable. The last time I had my BRCC out, it was so bad that I was unable to maintain speed up a dirt ramp. The uphill resistance was enough to cause massive loss of power. I made a video to demonstrate what I am talking about.

I emailed Hobbywing and I am hoping they repair or warranty both ESC's.

Hey man, I have this same exact combo in my Granite(think on your advise)and it performs exactly the same. It seems normal to me. It cogs a very little bit on startup like yours, but once u get going it is fine. Seems way smoother than the stock esc which did the same thing. I am running a 17t pinion and I think the high gearing has a lot to do with the cogging. I don't think there is anything wrong with all three of our HW max 10 sct's. I think if u tried a 14t or maybe even the stock 15t it would wheelie on demand and climb a tree no problem. Maybe the reason the system comes with a 48p pinion. I don't think u are having a spectrum receiver problem, as I still run the stock tactic and it does the same thing.

Hey man, I have this same exact combo in my Granite(think on your advise)and it performs exactly the same. It seems normal to me. It cogs a very little bit on startup like yours, but once u get going it is fine. Seems way smoother than the stock esc which did the same thing. I am running a 17t pinion and I think the high gearing has a lot to do with the cogging. I don't think there is anything wrong with all three of our HW max 10 sct's. I think if u tried a 14t or maybe even the stock 15t it would wheelie on demand and climb a tree no problem. Maybe the reason the system comes with a 48p pinion. I don't think u are having a spectrum receiver problem, as I still run the stock tactic and it does the same thing.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm running an 18t pinion in my BRCC and a 17t in the Granite. Maybe I'll go back to 15. I'm going to install the optional cap pack today and see if it helps at all. I'm interested to hear what HW has to say.

I think your issue is going to be the high gearing. I have the same setup in both my sons trucks with 5000 mah 50c batts but we are running the 15t pinion. Both our trucks do the same thing when up against an obstacle but do not cog like that when taking off. Looks like once yours got moving it was fine, I assume you still have the 15 t pinion , try that.

Last edited:

Your confusing a cap pack with an external BEC. A cap packs only purpose is to help supply surge current for the ESC as a whole. A BEC is a device you connect to your battery to not use the internal BEC of the ESC and you connect the BEC output to the receiver while removing the red wire from the esc to the receiver.

I plan on running mine today. Will see how it goes.

I use 7200mah 3S2P lipos I built out of old SMC 2S packs I had. They did fine with the castle sct sv3/3800kv I had as well as the traxxas vxl-3s I had in my eJato.

Ok, if everyone else is gonna go play, I am too. This honey-do list will just have to wait.

Went back to a 15t pinion and it is much better. It still stutters a little bit from a dead stop but it will wheelie. When up against an obstacle it will climb it or spin the tires. I guess the ESC and/or motor cannot handle tall gearing. It's a shame because it's not a cheap ESC. I will let you guys know what HW says when they get back to me.

@bicketybam

I thought you had a similar situation before with a motor being over geared. It's the motor not the esc. Put a 3660 2600kv motor in on 3s with those tires and that gearing you would probably be fine.

The Hobbywing motor looked to be stronger than the BLX motor (even though same size same kv) it started to try to climb the container though (by looking at the video).

Well I was going tp upload a video of mine and how it acts, but when I try to recird and upload it say the file does not has the supported extension. Mine cogs a little for about 1 second till it starts moving, and will try to go against a wall but wont go up it.

Went back to a 15t pinion and it is much better. It still stutters a little bit from a dead stop but it will wheelie. When up against an obstacle it will climb it or spin the tires. I guess the ESC and/or motor cannot handle tall gearing. It's a shame because it's not a cheap ESC. I will let you guys know what HW says when they get back to me.

I saw this post no problem with the esc in my view no need to contact Hobbywing. He had another thread about a similar what thought to be a similar problem.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back