Fireteam Fireteam Fun Factor (is it anyone's favorite ?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the FT is a great looking rig & concept. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like the whole tactical/military theme of it. Every review I've read or watched mentions how stable and planted it is. I have noticed that the FT doesn't get much love on here for some odd reason, but I'd sure like to add one to my collection.

When I got off work, couldn't wait to get online and see what people had to say. Really appreciate all the input. And if there's someone reading this that really dislikes the Fireteam but doesn't want to crash the party, please chime in and don't hold back.

One reason I'm excited about the Fireteam is that I think it would complement my Outcast 6s really well. Kind of opposite ends of the spektrum (haha, see what I did there) in terms of wheelbase / weight distribution.

I'd be afraid to bash it at all until reinforcing where the screws hold down the body panels, after seeing some youtube videos of the aftermath. I would like to start with an alternate body and preserve the awesome looking original body, because if you add up the roll cage and panels, it's pretty expensive to replace.

I did the same and noticed the body cracking. I did the drywall and washers to help the body. Time will tell how well it holds. I know it will crack in time but in time....not right away:

1660968201406.png

Still added washers even with the drywall on the other side
1660968330214.png

Polo Creations is a love\hate. I like their stuff but hard to contact and many shipping errors with delays... Not saying not to use them but beware:
1660968407083.png
1660968425085.png
1660968473825.png

if it didn't have the figures in it would have got one when they came out I am 49 years old and didn't want anyone one seeing me running the rc car with action figures in it to be honest :geek:

The Fireteam was my first RC car (re-entering hobby after almost 30 years) and I really like it in every way except jumping. I am finding it difficult to jump it without the nose dropping and causing a cartwheel (probably a combination of the car's weight distribution and my lack of experience). However, this thing is a blast to rip through grass and dirt as it stays planted really well and is somewhat hard to flip as long as the wheels are on the ground. When it does flip over, I find it tends to roll right back onto its wheels most of the time. I still want to be able to do jumps so I just bought one of the new Kraton 4S v2's and and will be taking it out for its maiden run later today.

[edit] I wanted to add that I find the Fireteam runs pretty hot. I believe its due to the weight and the amount of strain that weight puts on the electronics. I plan on eventually upgrading the motor and ESC at some point to something more powerful to help reduce running temps (maybe get an 8S setup but still run it at 6S).
@parcou gave good advice with the battery tray placement. Turning the punch up for better air control will help as well. Upgrading electronics makes a big difference too, more power to help with air control.

I have the FT...but you hit a lot of the pros/cons.

I like the way it drives since I am NOT a wheelie person. I also prefer to ground bash and jumping/ramps are not my taste with any of my rigs. However, I do not mind catching good air off the hills at the golf course :)

Driving...Man, it is a sweet rig. I do not have a Mojave but have a Kraton EXB. I do agree with others it handles differently from other rigs. Tires, although ugly, work so well on the FT perfect match.

Yes, the body I hate what helped me to buy it I got a great deal here in the classified. Body it toy like to me, so I removed the inside and copied another user idea here...not my own. The body is heavy as heck as stock until you remove the men! I, too would like to see some more body options, but it seems to be an acquired taste for this rig! The body kills it for many I "think"

The ride setup is perfect IMHO. I found the stock diff fluid, suspension shock/springs, and tires, I added AVC better servo/ESC it handles like a dream if you keep it on the ground. Jumping it, I cannot say how that would work since I don't.

Still love my Infraction, my first rig. Kraton is a joy to bash, then the Typhon TLR and Losi DB Pro just have their own sweet bash style I love. For me, the FT rank 3 or 4 but is at the top for off-road of my 8 bashers.

View attachment 237359
Really like the look of what you did there. Is that mesh plastic or netting? Was it difficult to remove the action figures/ how did you do it? Can they go back in if you wanted, or once it's done it's done for good?

if it didn't have the figures in it would have got one when they came out I am 49 years old and didn't want anyone one seeing me running the rc car with action figures in it to be honest :geek:
The figures don't bother me but I do like the looks of what @parcou did a lot better (be sure to see the picture).

I also like the looks of the vintage truck body that Kevin Talbot put on the FT, but it required some mods so it wouldn't be simple to change back and forth between new and original bodies. With that truck body I could also imagine temporarily putting on some smaller diameter street tires and larger pinion gear, to get a chance to really test out that hand brake on pavement.

I know a lot of people do lots of mods to their RCs. So far we haven't really done that in our house, but I think the FT may be the perfect platform for us to really get into doing that.

The handbrake is absolutely useless…….remove it.
Is the hand brake also useless on the Infraction 6S, for anyone that has experience with it?

I remember one time when I realized I had missed out on a good sale on the Fireteam and was bummed about it because I really wanted one as my main RC, it made me feel a little better about it when I read posts saying the brake was useless as you say. But at the same time I could see it being fun getting the hang of using it, especially with street tires.

That looks cool although I wonder if it allows the chassis to fill with debris.
The handbrake on the infraction…..probably a good thing for that style of driving…..I don’t own one.

Ive tested the Fireteam with and without the brake. It has the same quick reversal with proper use of motor brake and steering. For that reason I removed the brake, it’s just more schit that can break on a rig. Little pebbles and debris can get caught between the plates on the rear brake as well, causing friction and inadvertent braking…….it insidious so you may not even notice it’s happening.

cheers,
kev

Really like the look of what you did there. Is that mesh plastic or netting? Was it difficult to remove the action figures/ how did you do it? Can they go back in if you wanted, or once it's done it's done for good?

I agree with @KevinC the hand brake is useless IMHO. I removed it off the FT before ever running it, and my Infraction v1 never had one. It could be cool....but I rather throw it in a power slide which is easy to do.

It was not difficult to remove just some screws, but it does require removing part of the plastic cross bars to get the men body plate out. Straight forward and easy to put back.

The net is rubber, actually. All the credit goes to this guy @StephenSchandelmayer link I just lowered my nets a little for a little gap at the top...his idea. Love it! (y)

Pic with the raw build. I needed 5 packs to do all sides:
1661052433233.png
1661052445723.png
1661052460257.png

Is the hand brake also useless on the Infraction 6S, for anyone that has experience with it?

I remember one time when I realized I had missed out on a good sale on the Fireteam and was bummed about it because I really wanted one as my main RC, it made me feel a little better about it when I read posts saying the brake was useless as you say. But at the same time I could see it being fun getting the hang of using it, especially with street tires.
Personally, I like the handbrake but I'm definitely the minority here. I plan to keep it on my infraction when it gets here Tuesday.

I own the following RC's after getting back into the hobby:
1)Fireteam
2)Vorteks
3)Kraton 8s EXB
4)Infraction Mega(scratch and dent)
5)Infraction 6s
6)Limitless V2
7)Kraton 4s v.2
So far, the Fireteam is my fav. Easy to drive on dirt, grass, or street. Doesn't wheelie too much unless I gun it, as I have upgraded it to a Castle mm8s 1650kv. Not too big, but big enough for rough terrain and grass. And it hauls ass as well! Only knock is the heavy body and no washers on the panels. Was thinking more aftermarket bodies would have been made by now. The price was too high at launch, but the new sale prices make it a must buy. But I get the body may turn folks away with the guns and stuff. Its toyish but at least its something totally different from the standard monster truck stuff we always get. If it goes on sale, cop one!

looks alot better without them figures don't no what they were thinking could not believe it when it was released couldn't stop laughing for about an hour :LOL:

I own the following RC's after getting back into the hobby:
1)Fireteam
2)Vorteks
3)Kraton 8s EXB
4)Infraction Mega(scratch and dent)
5)Infraction 6s
6)Limitless V2
7)Kraton 4s v.2
So far, the Fireteam is my fav. Easy to drive on dirt, grass, or street. Doesn't wheelie too much unless I gun it, as I have upgraded it to a Castle mm8s 1650kv. Not too big, but big enough for rough terrain and grass. And it hauls ass as well! Only knock is the heavy body and no washers on the panels. Was thinking more aftermarket bodies would have been made by now. The price was too high at launch, but the new sale prices make it a must buy. But I get the body may turn folks away with the guns and stuff. Its toyish but at least its something totally different from the standard monster truck stuff we always get. If it goes on sale, cop one!

Impressive list. Really appreciate everyone's input on the Fireteam. The $150 off sale at HH ended on Friday, but I did actually pull the trigger just a few hours before it ended. What made it possible was that I learned HH has an Easy Pay option, which divides it into 3 payments. Once I receive it, I will likely not be opening the box during the 30 day return window, just in case something urgent comes up at home. I'm feeling good about the purchase though, because I think this rounds out my collection nicely and I don't foresee getting any new RCs for quite a while (sure that's what we all say but I do actually mean it). But I do see having to spend some $ here and there on tires etc for others already in the collection.

Do you think it's worth adding to the Fireteam a receiver that has AVC? Do you know if a SR6110AT receiver would fit it?

I've been thinking of getting a receiver off of JRC (the receiver is paired with a DX3). But I'm learning that not all of the spektrum receivers will physically fit into the receiver box in some of the ARRMA trucks. For example, the one that JRC had in stock had the SR6110AT, and I don't think it could fit into my Granite stock receiver box unfortunately, and I don't know if it will fit the Fireteam. JRC is out of stock of the smaller SR6200A receiver. Generally speaking I'm having a hard time figuring out which receivers physically fit in which trucks. I'm sure I could figure it out, if I tried a little harder and took my Granite apart to measure the size of the box. And I could probably change the receiver box out for a larger one. But I just want to get one that conveniently fits.

I know a lot of people rip out their Spektrum radio gear, but I'm in too deep with Spektrum (plus I actually kind of like their stuff / coming from RC planes first).

I think HH's marketing team are evil geniuses for how they rotate sale prices month to month on different models. They want to trick us all into owning too many of their trucks :). But really, I think part of the fun in this hobby is having enough variety to mix it up.

@hobo , I can see how a lot of people feel that way about them. I like them, mostly, but I kind of want to remove them too.

Impressive list. Really appreciate everyone's input on the Fireteam. The $150 off sale at HH ended on Friday, but I did actually pull the trigger just a few hours before it ended. What made it possible was that I learned HH has an Easy Pay option, which divides it into 3 payments. Once I receive it, I will likely not be opening the box during the 30 day return window, just in case something urgent comes up at home. I'm feeling good about the purchase though, because I think this rounds out my collection nicely and I don't foresee getting any new RCs for quite a while (sure that's what we all say but I do actually mean it). But I do see having to spend some $ here and there on tires etc for others already in the collection.

Do you think it's worth adding to the Fireteam a receiver that has AVC? Do you know if a SR6110AT receiver would fit it?

I've been thinking of getting a receiver off of JRC (the receiver is paired with a DX3). But I'm learning that not all of the spektrum receivers will physically fit into the receiver box in some of the ARRMA trucks. For example, the one that JRC had in stock had the SR6110AT, and I don't think it could fit into my Granite stock receiver box unfortunately, and I don't know if it will fit the Fireteam. JRC is out of stock of the smaller SR6200A receiver. Generally speaking I'm having a hard time figuring out which receivers physically fit in which trucks. I'm sure I could figure it out, if I tried a little harder and took my Granite apart to measure the size of the box. And I could probably change the receiver box out for a larger one. But I just want to get one that conveniently fits.

I know a lot of people rip out their Spektrum radio gear, but I'm in too deep with Spektrum (plus I actually kind of like their stuff / coming from RC planes first).

I think HH's marketing team are evil geniuses for how they rotate sale prices month to month on different models. They want to trick us all into owning too many of their trucks :). But really, I think part of the fun in this hobby is having enough variety to mix it up.

@hobo , I can see how a lot of people feel that way about them. I like them, mostly, but I kind of want to remove them too.
I actually am using the stock receiver in all my vehicles, but bought a DX5 so I could just have ONE REMOTE to RULE THEM ALL (Sauron voice). When it comes to radio gear, Spectrum is good in my view, that seems to be their roots anyway. But I made a post before about going one level up on their esc's to make them work out. Example, if the rig has a 130a esc, then move to a 150a. They seem to try to push lower powered esc's too far, leading to issues. Other than that, the radio box seems big enough for an AVC, but for a off road vehicle, I don't think it needs it. Now on an Infraction, I love AVC.

I actually am using the stock receiver in all my vehicles, but bought a DX5 so I could just have ONE REMOTE to RULE THEM ALL (Sauron voice). When it comes to radio gear, Spectrum is good in my view, that seems to be their roots anyway. But I made a post before about going one level up on their esc's to make them work out. Example, if the rig has a 130a esc, then move to a 150a. They seem to try to push lower powered esc's too far, leading to issues. Other than that, the radio box seems big enough for an AVC, but for a off road vehicle, I don't think it needs it. Now on an Infraction, I love AVC.
It's interesting that you mention the DX5, because that is almost what prevented me from getting the Fireteam. The week before HH had the DX5 Pro on sale $100 off. I wanted to consolidate transmitters as well, but mainly because on the Vendetta I really wanted a way to be able to adjust steering rate and have AVC at the same time. Others on this forum helped me to understand that's possible with the DX5. So after I spent the $ on the DX5 Pro, it was really difficult to justify spending the $ on the Fireteam so soon after.

I haven't really gotten into using it yet, but looking forward to it. And I won't be able to use it with the Granite or Vorteks untill I change out those receivers. (right?) I do also like having the dedicated transmitters as well, because I like having rotating adjustment knobs. So I'll probably keep using the stock transmitter on some of them. I'll be trying the DX5 on the Vendetta first.

It's interesting that you mention the DX5, because that is almost what prevented me from getting the Fireteam. The week before HH had the DX5 Pro on sale $100 off. I wanted to consolidate transmitters as well, but mainly because on the Vendetta I really wanted a way to be able to adjust steering rate and have AVC at the same time. Others on this forum helped me to understand that's possible with the DX5. So after I spent the $ on the DX5 Pro, it was really difficult to justify spending the $ on the Fireteam so soon after.

I haven't really gotten into using it yet, but looking forward to it. And I won't be able to use it with the Granite or Vorteks untill I change out those receivers. (right?) I do also like having the dedicated transmitters as well, because I like having rotating adjustment knobs. So I'll probably keep using the stock transmitter on some of them. I'll be trying the DX5 on the Vendetta first.
The DX5 will work with the Vorteks receiver. The only car I cannot use the DX5 with is the Infraction Mega I got scratch and dent. Use the AVC on the Vendetta, not really needed on the Fireteam. Jennys is a great place for Fireteam parts too.

The FT is lauded as one of the most versatile and though cars Arrma offers. It has excellent handeling and customisation options are near endless, due to the hybrid platform. The fact that it seems less popular is meaningless with regards to its quality. It’s a great car worth getting.

The DX5 will work with the Vorteks receiver. The only car I cannot use the DX5 with is the Infraction Mega I got scratch and dent. Use the AVC on the Vendetta, not really needed on the Fireteam. Jennys is a great place for Fireteam parts too.
Brain fart. I knew that about the Vorteks when I bought the DX5 Pro, but then forgot (hmm, not a good sign).

The FT is lauded as one of the most versatile and though cars Arrma offers. It has excellent handeling and customisation options are near endless, due to the hybrid platform. The fact that it seems less popular is meaningless with regards to its quality. It’s a great car worth getting.
Makes me feel even better about the decision.

Last edited:
Check out what Kevin Talbot did in this video, went to a different body. I recommend jumping right to 13:30. I really like to watch it running with that body. Also check out the footage at 16:01, kind of funny.

I'm actually going to try using a limitless body without the front spoiler - turn it into a buggy. @SrC did this with a stretched Mojave chassis on a custom build he did here and I like the look of it and think it might be tidier and more durable than a truck body. I'm going to give it a try.

Back