Fan for kraton 4s with 4274 motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6mm Lapua

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 4s
Anyone know of a good way to get a fan mounted in here? Not a lot of room to work with, the motor sits on the chassis and almost touches the center drive shaft.
IMG_0056.png

Anyone know of a good way to get a fan mounted in here? Not a lot of room to work with, the motor sits on the chassis and almost touches the center drive shaft. View attachment 362986
Throw these bad boys on there and rotate them to the outside, facing the sideguards. The actual fans should almost be touching the sideguards of the truck. It'll be a tight squeeze, but it'll all fit once slightly rotated.
1714016194983.png

I have had experience with those clamp on heat sink units.
1. They get loose over time
2. Doesn't cool well, because the heat transfer from the motor to the heatsink is not great.

I ended up with motor clamps that hold a fan.

I had this in the past.
20230607_205803.jpg

And I run this now:
20231020_120613.jpg
20231027_112109.jpg

50mm fan om a 36mm motor.

This would be great for your setup and I think it will fit

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGD0rSF

The hobby wing one I bought was complete tosh so it’s now in the bin, I’ve just bought a 6s heat sink which I’m sure I can squeeze on side ways, this will actually put the fan on top of the motor while leaving clearance for the drive shaft.

Hopefully I’ll get it fitted this weekend so I’ll let you know how it goes 👍🏼

2. Doesn't cool well, because the heat transfer from the motor to the heatsink is not great.

I had this in the past.
View attachment 363018

And I run this now:
View attachment 363019View attachment 363020

Awesome thanks man, thanks for posting pictures too, helps me visualize what will work

Throw these bad boys on there and rotate them to the outside, facing the sideguards. The actual fans should almost be touching the sideguards of the truck. It'll be a tight squeeze, but it'll all fit once slightly rotated.
View attachment 362987
Do you have a picture of this mounted?

Awesome thanks man, thanks for posting pictures too, helps me visualize what will work

Do you have a picture of this mounted?
I have a picture of it a mounted on one of my 6S rigs in my phone, but that won't do you much good. When I get home I'll take a picture of the dual fans on my 3S rig for you.

I had this in the past.
View attachment 363018

And I run this now:
View attachment 363019View attachment 363020

I'm willing to bet one of the biggest difference makers in your setup are the fans. I've tried that large Hobbywing fan you have and it absolutely sucks compared to the Rocket fan you switched to. Those Rocket/Surpass fans move way more air.

I have a picture of it a mounted on one of my 6S rigs in my phone, but that won't do you much good. When I get home I'll take a picture of the dual fans on my 3S rig for you.

I'm willing to bet one of the biggest difference makers in your setup are the fans. I've tried that large Hobbywing fan you have and it absolutely sucks compared to the Rocket fan you switched to. Those Rocket/Surpass fans move way more air.
Awesome, sounds good man 👍

Yes, the Rocket fans are awesome, but you need to keep it in place, this heatsink clamp from Hobbywing is a piece of garbage.

I have this one from Exotek. It's super thin, sturdy.. and a bit pricey but.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-1-8-v2-ebuggy-clamp-on-fan-mount-black-exo1914blk/p1056077
As to the user reviews on Amain, everything is "brekable", and yes, if you overtighten the screws, it WILL break also.. LOL. "some people".. 🤷‍♂️
I've also used 3x25mm screws with nuts under the fan (as standoffs) and zipties around the motor to secure the fans.. you can laugh, but it works, and "none cheaper"!! LOL

I use this one in my MT410. It works great in tight spaces and holds up well.

https://a.co/d/gO0Yjff
Oops.. I guess I didn't "look".. LOL, I posted the exact same mount. Sorry. :rolleyes: 🤷‍♂️ ✌️

Last edited:
Well I ordered this one, I’ll give it a shot. Looks like it should work by looking at the pics of it. Ordered a 40mm rocket fan too, I’ll report back, hopefully it works! Thanks for your help and advice guys👍
IMG_0058.png

@6mm Lapua I know you already ordered a mount, but im a man of my word, so here's the picture lol. This is my setup on a 2450kv motor in my Big Rock. Can is 3674, thought it was bigger than that.

17140831708032403856617359268660.jpg

I don't run a fan on a 4268/2600kV Quicrun in a 12lb aluminum Mojave on 4S, never gets much over 100 degrees at the track on the 8BL150G2 esc even on 6S.

I'd mount it to the chassis if you absolutely had to have the noise.

View attachment 363186
Oh she got pretty toasty, I was hoping to not need a fan but it got hot

Might be under geared if you're not literally holding it wide open the entire bash in tall grass. Or you have binding in the drivetrain...

How hot is hot? I mean, are we talking to the touch? Or with a temp gun? 120-130F is hot to the touch for most, but really nothing for an electric motor. I don't get concerned until around 160F, but even still I have seen readings over 200F on some of my motors.. not advisable, but they still run.

How hot is hot? I mean, are we talking to the touch? Or with a temp gun? 120-130F is hot to the touch for most, but really nothing for an electric motor. I don't get concerned until around 160F, but even still I have seen readings over 200F on some of my motors.. not advisable, but they still run.
Good point, it might be worth checking the mesh. I thought my new motor was getting hotter than I expected so I loosened the mesh a tiny bit and it’s helped keep it cooler.

Also if you was to run a bigger pinion you will get a bit more drive shaft clearance.

I don’t have a temp gun but it was too hot to touch.

Good point, it might be worth checking the mesh. I thought my new motor was getting hotter than I expected so I loosened the mesh a tiny bit and it’s helped keep it cooler.

Also if you was to run a bigger pinion you will get a bit more drive shaft clearance.
I’m running a 16t right now and love the way it runs with it, I don’t think 17t would be a good idea with trying to keep temps down, I guess I could try after the fan gets mounted.

Back