Infraction Do Anti-Roll Bars/Sway Bars Make Sense for Speed Running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diem Turner

Yes...I have a Premium Member
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
As the title suggest, I'm curious as to what people think about the use of sway bars and whether or not they even make sense in this context. From my understanding of what they are and what they do, I don't really see a benefit to their use, though I'm more than willing to have my mind changed if someone can make a plausible argument for their implementation. If there is a pro argument I'd be curious to know whether lighter or heavier sway bars would be preferable for this application and why.

In a straight line, they're far more beneficial for a drag car than a straight line speed runner, at least on 1/1 cars they would be... A hard launch with good traction is going to want to twist the chassis of the car, to which side would be determined by how well the suspension was tuned from side to side, but a sway bar would try to keep the chassis/suspension even as to provide a more even launch, supplying equal power to the drive tires... all that being said, I don't believe there's enough suspension travel or chassis twist in a rc car, drag or speed runner, to reap the benefits of a sway bar. In the rc world, sway bars are most beneficial on rigs that get raced on actual tracks, (clay, dirt or carpet) where a sway bar actually removes/adds traction by being thicker or thinner, or not having one at all or only on the front.. it allows a driver to either tune the car to slide the rear around on a hairpin corner, or bite in hard on a big sweeping turn, and be able to take it a higher speeds without rolling. For drag/speed, imo, not necessary or really beneficial

I think the high spring rates also negate the need for swaybars, you already have a lot of roll stiffness. I actually run my 1:1 drift car with no sway bars at all but much heavier than stock spring rates.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back