Defective motor shaft on Castle 1717

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
Ugh šŸ˜© so went to change the pinion on my new 1717 today and motor shaft now has a bend and also noticed the grub screw dug into the shaft really bad. No crash or anything to cause the bend in the shaft and as I said grub screw really dug in which makes me think it was not hardened correctly. Already filed a claim with Castle and now have to ship them the motor. Very frustrating as I've only had the motor 19 days and only has seen 5 passes, four on 4s and one on 6s. As I said no crash or anything to warrant the bent shaft and the hole from the grub screw just shows the shaft was not hardened. Damn it yet another set back for speed running and this time nothing I did.
IMG_20210624_110118436.jpg
IMG_20210624_110220709.jpg

I wonder if a rock got in there, lock things up for a fraction of a second, your pinions set screw slipped a little with the force and the shaft bend. Thatā€™s the only thing I can think to cause that.

I have no idea but shaft definitely seems it did not get hardened as that grub screw really dug in also. Even when I went to take it off today wasn't even really cranked on and was easy to get off no heat needed nothing. Also I've stripped plenty of grubs from being too tight but never had them dig into the shaft like this ever.

I didn't know you were so strong.... :ROFLMAO:
Right I mean I didn't use and impact driver to tighten the grub just my MIP driveršŸ¤·. Ugh just very frustrating but I guess better I had it happen now then break the shaft on a pass as that would have been all bad!

I have three 1717 and two of them have grub screw marks but never bending. Definitely this is a flaw and you have to send it for warranty repair.
Ya I've already filed the claim just have to get it sent in now. I've had grub screw marks but this actually dug into the shaft maybe about 1mm deep which should not have happened. Definitely didn't get it treated and hardened correctly is my thought.

I wonder if a rock got in there, lock things up for a fraction of a second, your pinions set screw slipped a little with the force and the shaft bend. Thatā€™s the only thing I can think to cause that.
Work for Castle? šŸ˜

Hows the pinion gear look? Any of the teeth get messed up and also the spur gear, make sure spur gear spins straight to, if gears are good then my thinking is the shaft wasnt properly heat treated like you said and its possible from running and the heat generated from the motor and one good throttle take off and it torqued so much that it caused shaft to bend and if you look closly the bend is right where grub screw was. Definately to me looks to be factory defect. I feel for you bro, hopefully castle get it back to you fast and fixed right.

Hows the pinion gear look? Any of the teeth get messed up and also the spur gear, make sure spur gear spins straight to, if gears are good then my thinking is the shaft wasnt properly heat treated like you said and its possible from running and the heat generated from the motor and one good throttle take off and it torqued so much that it caused shaft to bend and if you look closly the bend is right where grub screw was. Definately to me looks to be factory defect. I feel for you bro, hopefully castle get it back to you fast and fixed right.
Ya that's what is odd is pinion looks good and spur is all good also. It's like it happened from the tiny bit of force from me taking the pinion off today. As when I ran the other day didn't sound weird as if it was wobbling from the bend. Definitely a defect as I've got 5+ other motors that I've torqued the grub and even stripped it and never had it dig into the shaft like this.

Ugh šŸ˜© so went to change the pinion on my new 1717 today and motor shaft now has a bend and also noticed the grub screw dug into the shaft really bad. No crash or anything to cause the bend in the shaft and as I said grub screw really dug in which makes me think it was not hardened correctly. Already filed a claim with Castle and now have to ship them the motor. Very frustrating as I've only had the motor 19 days and only has seen 5 passes, four on 4s and one on 6s. As I said no crash or anything to warrant the bent shaft and the hole from the grub screw just shows the shaft was not hardened. Damn it yet another set back for speed running and this time nothing I did.View attachment 153965View attachment 153966
My motor failed internally second run. In an open grass field.

Had to send it in as well. They did what they said they would.. But took their time and had no sympathy.

Oh well, I got a new one eventually and I'm in love.

Having to fork over money for shipping after spending $350... I was pretty grumpy.

Oh thank God just got off the phone with Castle and they replaced the rotor no charge and will ship out my motor on TuesdayšŸ˜
They rock šŸ¤˜šŸ» Iā€™m a huge fan.

They rock šŸ¤˜šŸ» Iā€™m a huge fan.
Definitely a great company to say the least. Also very pleased as motor got there Wednesday and already is taken care of so only like a 1-2 day turnaround for repair.

Man šŸ¤¦šŸ™„šŸ˜  so got my 1717 back today and noticed the "new" rotor is in fact used has 3 marks from grub screw and line on side of shaft from pinion clearly being installed. But even worse the shaft is also bent about a .5mm to one side šŸ¤¬ like are you f#cking kidding me!?
IMG_20210709_133459229.jpg
IMG_20210709_133506489.jpg
IMG_20210709_135714043.jpg
IMG_20210709_135741980.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back