Chasing down an HW ESC/Motor issue .. any suggestions ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Kid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
New Hobbywing XR8 Plus G2S ESC
Older Hobbywing Xerun 4274 G2 2250kv motor
9 awg wires with nice shiney solder joints on esc & motor tabs
Connectors all XT90's
Only using 3S or 4S batteries ( 3S - 75 & 100c ) ( 4S - 120C ) all new as of @ December & charged at 7amps in a balance mode every cycle.
*Running in FULL Sensored mode

ISSUE .....
No matter ESC programing of Auto battery select & 3.5v per cell or Manual override of cell count & selecting a 3.25v per cell LVC cut off I am getting the ESC's LVC function to kick in when ever holding wide open throttle any more than @ 3-4 seconds :mad: Checking pack voltage immediately shows @ 3.8 to 3.9v per cell. When pack is at 100% ( 4.2V Per cell ) the issue does not happen.
*** If I shut off electronics & back on, it runs great and has full power and will take battery to a lower LVC cutoff SO LONG AS 3-4 seconds of WOT is not applied :unsure:
*Taking out the battery when LVC activates & re-installing battery into my Typhon which uses the OEM BLX 185 Controller it will run balls out for another 5-7 minuets before the auto 3.5v LVC limit is reached.

Reached out to HW customer service and only got a check connectors & solder joints .... or send in for service/upgrade-replacement ??

Any ideas or oversight on my part comments ?

Thank you,
BK

Last edited:
If you have a way to check the internal resistance of the packs, that might be worthwhile?

New Hobbywing XR8 Plus G2S ESC
Older Hobbywing Xerun 4274 G2 2250kv motor
9 awg wires with nice shiney solder joints on esc & motor tabs
Connectors all XT90's
Only using 3S or 4S batteries ( 3S - 75 & 100c ) ( 4S - 120C ) all new as of @ December & charged at 7amps in a balance mode every cycle.
*Running in FULL Sensored mode

ISSUE .....
No matter ESC programing of Auto battery select & 3.5v per cell or Manual override of cell count & selecting a 3.25v per cell LVC cut off I am getting the ESC's LVC function to kick in when ever holding wide open throttle any more than @ 3-4 seconds :mad: Checking pack voltage immediately shows @ 3.8 to 3.9v per cell. When pack is at 100% ( 4.2V Per cell ) the issue does not happen.
*** If I shut off electronics & back on, it runs great and has full power and will take battery to a lower LVC cutoff SO LONG AS 3-4 seconds of WOT is not applied :unsure:
*Taking out the battery when LVC activates & re-installing battery into my Typhon which uses the OEM BLX 185 Controller it will run balls out for another 5-7 minuets before the auto 3.5v LVC limit is reached.

Reached out to HW customer service and only got a check connectors & solder joints .... or send in for service/upgrade-replacement ??

Any ideas or oversight on my part comments ?

Thank you,
BK
What’s the car? What gearing? What tires?

It sounds like the motor is demanding more than the batteries can handle. So under prolonged heavy load, the ESC senses the voltage sagging to LVC level and shuts down.

This is a good thing. Otherwise your battery cells would be dipping too low and the cells would be ruined.

Your solution is to buy better quality batteries. I know Zeee is popular but it is still low quality. Alternatively, you could try gearing down to a smaller pinion to reduce the current demand.

Edit: take a look at CNHL 70C packs. They can handle probably double the load of the Zees you have.

Last edited:

It sounds like the motor is demanding more than the batteries can handle. So under prolonged heavy load, the ESC senses the voltage sagging to LVC level and shuts down.

This is a good thing. Otherwise your battery cells would be dipping too low and the cells would be ruined.

Your solution is to buy better quality batteries. I know Zeee is popular but it is still low quality. Alternatively, you could try gearing down to a smaller pinion to reduce the current demand.

Edit: take a look at CNHL 70C packs. They can handle probably double the load of the Zees you have.
Which is interesting as my gearing is on the low side as it is ... I'm not speed running the Kraton

Custom ground up Kraton build ...
GP4 29mm diffs
50/14 gearing
Backflip LP tires

I'm shooting 50/50 with Hobbywing. 2 caught on fire, 1 at full trigger rapidly turns the power on/off to the motor, all were relatively new. Maybe sending it back would be the best idea.

I use Zeee batteries successfully for my 2s and 3s vehicles, but I don't trust the less expensive batteries for my 6s vehicles. I use a single CNHL battery for my Kraton 6s, or two gensacearespammers Basher 3s or two CNHL 3s batteries for my Infraction 6s.

Take this for the Un-scientific conclusion that it is ....

Moved the motors 40mm rocket fan off the ESC's Programmer/power port to the Receivers Ch3 plug via jumper wire.
Kept settings within programming for Auto Cell count & 3.5v per cell LVC setting. All the Boost and Turbo values kept "As-Is" ... as was programmed.
It works as it should best we can tell. Wide open runs when per-cell voltages of 3.8 or less are not tripping the LVC circuit.

So very odd assuming the port on ESC was on the same regulated output & power as the power / signal wire going to and returning from receiver.
* Testing was done with a 16/50 gearing ( GP4 Diffs ) Which should still be modest gearing running on 4S :cautious:

Fingers crossed till next bash :cautious:

Sounds like your batteries are dipping below LVC under load. Someone here recently had this issues with brand new batteries and had to send them back.

Back