ALL NEW 1/5 8S VIGILANTE from REDCAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait till June on the Kaiju. For the last couple years Redcat has had deep discounts in June. Join their mailing list for details. RC is in AZ, no sales tax when buying direct..
Absolutely! The June sales the last few years you could get the kaiju for $330 shipped. It was so good I almost bought two LOL

Looks like ol' Thunder took a crack at the Vigilante already. Doesn't look like he bashed it super hard, but for the kind of jumps he was doing and with no breakages, I think it looks impressive for $850 5th scale.
The Vigilante did well here, nice job Redcat. I know he was definitely taking it easy on the Vigilante compared to how he drove the Xmaxx though. I hope Redcat keeps this thing relevant by making improvements and updates if/when defects arise. That has been one of Redcats downfalls over the years I feel, they put something out, and that's it, move on to the next. The Kaiju did receive some updates after launch with the updated upper arms, but that's about all RC has improved in over 3 years since the truck was released. That needs to change if they have any desire to earn any customer loyalty, or aftermarket support..

That's what I was saying.. the 5690 might pull a few more amps than a 5687 since it has a higher kv value. Minimal difference I'd guess though.

AKA click bait, LOL.

Hate to say, but you must be doing something to cause it, I've run my Kaiju on the original esc for over 3 years, Hobao rtr 150a (same esc) for 2+ years..4s, 6s..no issues at all.
Maybe you're either overgeared or too much full throttle time? Both of those conditions will evoke thermal shutdown. Sorry to hear, but you're the first I've heard it from.

The Vigilante did well here, nice job Redcat. I know he was definitely taking it easy on the Vigilante compared to how he drove the Xmaxx though. I hope Redcat keeps this thing relevant by making improvements and updates if/when defects arise. That has been one of Redcats downfalls over the years I feel, they put something out, and that's it, move on to the next. The Kaiju did receive some updates after launch with the updated upper arms, but that's about all RC has improved in over 3 years since the truck was released. That needs to change if they have any desire to earn any customer loyalty, or aftermarket support..
At least it didn't snap in half. And it didn't break arms either. It didn't do bad at all.

Last edited:
Round two. Vigilante did even better. I've had crashes like the ones on this video that the Vigilante had while driving my K8S and O8S. And they did not drive away after that. Weight plays a significant role in an RC surviving. So far, after only a few runs, the Vigilante is proving to be a very good vehicle.

Round two. Vigilante did even better. I've had crashes like the ones on this video that the Vigilante had while driving my K8S and O8S. And they did not drive away after that. Weight plays a significant role in an RC surviving. So far, after only a few runs, the Vigilante is proving to be a very good vehicle.

It survived some impressive jumps and crashes for sure, but man do those gears sound bad compared to the Xmaxx! The Xmaxx sounds like a refined machine compared to the sounds coming from the RC.

Last edited:
It surprised some impressive jumps and crashes for sure, but man do those gears sound bad compared to the Xmaxx! The Xmaxx sounds like a refined machine compared to the sounds coming from the RC.
It's the gear mesh. That can be fixed. My X-Maxx sounds like that when the gear mesh is not set properly. That's what I think it is IMHO

Dang it. Thunder's selling me hard.

I think your arrma 8s rigs were defective :eek:

If I lived in the states I would buy one, my guess It will show up here as well later with a different name and a bad price tag.

I think your arrma 8s rigs were defective :eek:
Nope. I have video proof. At the 2:26 mark, the driveshaft pin broke off. That happens with the stock and even the M2C extra thick driveshafts. I've never broken that pin with my X-Maxx, XRT and even the Kaiju, with bigger jumps and worse t crashes. Don't get me started on the diffs and the center diff. I've blown more than one center differential. I don't care what anyone says. The 8s Arrmas have been an L for me 🤷. Maybe it's just driver error (me)

Nope. I have video proof. At the 2:26 mark, the driveshaft pin broke off. That happens with the stock and even the M2C extra thick driveshafts. I've never broken that pin with my X-Maxx, XRT and even the Kaiju, with bigger jumps and worse t crashes. Don't get me started on the diffs and the center diff. I've blown more than one center differential. I don't care what anyone says. The 8s Arrmas have been an L for me 🤷. Maybe it's just driver error (me)

I've broken them too and even easier than that. I literally broke them just doing a wheelie 🤣. Then I read the notes on m2c page that suggested a mod that only cost me 6$ to do on all 3 of my arrma 8s. Now it's never happened again even on 12s kraton. I can't help with the diffs though sadly. I've never had a single problem with any of the diffs. Never had to replace a diff gear or anything even on 12s kraton. I don't know what I'm doing or not doing differently but I wish I did. I had exact opposite experience with my 8s xrt diffs though, I went through a whole adventure before I got it dialed in. Meanwhile my 12s xrt never had a single diff problem either 🤣

I remember both you and I used to run real low punch out of fear of messing something up. After I got a 12s kraton I said "what am I doing??" and turned that punch up on the xlx2 kraton and still never had a problem. Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky 🤣

I've broken them too and even easier than that. I literally broke them just doing a wheelie 🤣. Then I read the notes on m2c page that suggested a mod that only cost me 6$ to do on all 3 of my arrma 8s. Now it's never happened again even on 12s kraton. I can't help with the diffs though sadly. I've never had a single problem with any of the diffs. Never had to replace a diff gear or anything even on 12s kraton. I don't know what I'm doing or not doing differently but I wish I did. I had exact opposite experience with my 8s xrt diffs though, I went through a whole adventure before I got it dialed in. Meanwhile my 12s xrt never had a single diff problem either 🤣

I remember both you and I used to run real low punch out of fear of messing something up. After I got a 12s kraton I said "what am I doing??" and turned that punch up on the xlx2 kraton and still never had a problem. Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky 🤣
That's how this RC stuff is. One person has an amazing experience with any RC and the other, the total opposite 😂. It's all good. 👍. And we have two models that are the same (XRT and K8S 😅). Maybe we are in different dimensions of the universe, and we just don't know it 🤣. That or just the endless variables that exist when it comes to owning an RC and driving it.

WTH, the XMaxx is now $1100?!?! That's ridiculous I probably have to buy a Vigilante just on principle, to show everyone what else is out there.
On Traxxas's website, they advertise $999...with "belted tires" (woooo..yea right lol) $1,099. I would rather buy my own tires..belted on a rig like this seems like it would affect air control. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
WTH, the XMaxx is now $1100?!?! That's ridiculous I probably have to buy a Vigilante just on principle, to show everyone what else is out there.
And on the top of all that, the Vigilante is not doing bad at all. Out of the box, it's the best basher RC has ever made so far.

On Traxxas's website, they advertise $999...with "belted tires" (woooo..yea right lol) $1,099. I would rather buy my on tires..belted on a rig like this seems like it would affect air control. I could be wrong.
Everyone has their own preference, but I myself have no desire or use for belted tires on rc's. At least not off road rc's..

Traxxas makes it so hard to root for them sometimes 🤦‍♂️

Well I would buy a Xmaxx used and the Vigilante new since I don't see the Xmaxx being worth the stock price vs the Vigilante.
Nothing wrong with a used Xmaxx.
I actually paid full price for my Xmaxx, and even though I choked at the price, I have no regrets about it. It's been a great rig for me. 2+ years with minimal upkeep,and maybe $150 worth of "upgrades". Most of that was $100 so I could use Arrma 8s tires/wheels. It's such a fun truck.
This Vigilante sure looks like it handles a whole lot better, yet still retains most of the ground clearance of say an Xmaxx. Which is my go to snow basher.
As to used, only if either I can try before I buy, or I have respect and confidence in who's selling it.
I guess if it were a ridiculously low price I'd "roll the dice". If I were the type who will upgrade nearly everything, I'd be more willing to go used, but I don't, most of my stuff stays stock, which makes buying new more appealing..

Back