ALL NEW 1/5 8S VIGILANTE from REDCAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old Max6 G1 combo came with a 5687 motor and since the Hexfly escs are literally just rebadged Hobbywings I see no issue running a 5687 motor at all.

Sounds like you just got a bad esc is all.

A lot of the Youtubers do that though. Tomley, KT heck even @razorrc does it. It makes sense from a content provider perspective as it helps the videos get picked up by Google searches.
I will say though that @razorrc is definitely better about doing it. I will see him use "is blah blah the best?" framing it as a question definitely earns him some brownie points in my book compared to others. Thunderrc will full on be like "THIS IS THE BEST MOST AWESOMENESS RC EVARRR" :ROFLMAO:

I will say though that @razorrc is definitely better about doing it. I will see him use "is blah blah the best?" framing it as a question definitely earns him some brownie points in my book compared to others. Thunderrc will full on be like "THIS IS THE BEST MOST AWESOMENESS RC EVARRR" :ROFLMAO:

Haha, yeah I do it for the algorithms if it's the Title. But there is definitely a method to the madness if it's in the thumbnail --

The Stampede 4x4 was actually my first RC car and a lot of people think it's the best first RC car. Debatable.

This is actually the fastest and most durable 1/8 Truggy IMO:

But this is the Best when you take into account Everything. Note the period, not a question mark.

The old Max6 G1 combo came with a 5687 motor and since the Hexfly escs are literally just rebadged Hobbywings I see no issue running a 5687 motor at all.

Sounds like you just got a bad esc is all.

A lot of the Youtubers do that though. Tomley, KT heck even @razorrc does it. It makes sense from a content provider perspective as it helps the videos get picked up by Google searches.
The esc was replaced twice.

That's what I was saying.. the 5690 might pull a few more amps than a 5687 since it has a higher kv value. Minimal difference I'd guess though.

A lot of the Youtubers do that though. Tomley, KT heck even @razorrc does it. It makes sense from a content provider perspective as it helps the videos get picked up by Google searches
AKA click bait, LOL.

The esc was replaced twice.
Hate to say, but you must be doing something to cause it, I've run my Kaiju on the original esc for over 3 years, and a Hobao rtr 150a (same esc) for 2+ years..4s, 6s..no issues at all.
Maybe you're either overgeared or too much full throttle time? Both of those conditions will evoke thermal shutdown. Sorry to hear, but you're the first I've heard it from.

Last edited:
Hehe, the old Redcat Volcano is still rocking the stock HW 60A ESC and motor, it just keeps going :cool:

Interesting on the Kaiju, that one has the trusty 8BL150, those are supposed to be reliable too. Maybe designed for more of a "relaxed" driving style?
I've had very good results from the HW RTR esc's myself.. I have a Redcat WP-SC8-RTR 80a esc from 2011 that's still going strong today!! Original fan even, chatters a bit on startup but, so do I in the mornings! LOL. It's been run on 4s it's whole life, 13 years!! 👌👊✌️

I've had very good results from the HW RTR esc's myself.. I have a Redcat WP-SC8-RTR 80a esc from 2011 that's still going strong today!! Original fan even, chatters a bit on startup but, so do I in the mornings! LOL. It's been run on 4s it's whole life, 13 years!! 👌👊✌️

I have 3 of their RTR escs at the moment and all have been going strong for a number of years.

I have 3 of their RTR escs at the moment and all have been going strong for a number of years.
The RTR HW esc's are cheap and relatively simple.. just how I like them. Now that HW has incorporated 7.4v BEC, awesome!! I know there's much more sophisticated and capable stuff out there, I just can't be bothered with extra cables or data logging, or software/laptop just to change parameters. Old dog here.. LOL.

That's what I was saying.. the 5690 might pull a few more amps than a 5687 since it has a higher kv value. Minimal difference I'd guess though.

AKA click bait, LOL.

Hate to say, but you must be doing something to cause it, I've run my Kaiju on the original esc for over 3 years, and a Hobao rtr 150a (same esc) for 2+ years..4s, 6s..no issues at all.
Maybe you're either overgeared or too much full throttle time? Both of those conditions will evoke thermal shutdown. Sorry to hear, but you're the first I've heard it from.
It's stock. And it's very common maybe you lucked out. Also when accelerating the front left tire comes off the ground, the truck doesn't go strait. Here's a list issues on kaiju ext.
1) battery wire in a bind across battery tray
2) motor shroud fan didn't fit
3) upper links snapping ( you're going to yell me your didn't snap?) They stated it was a bad formula for the metal. The replacement arms would snap again.
4) esc would go into thermal after about 10 -13 mins of running.
I owned a ton of rc's, I swore after that I wouldn't buy from Redcat again because they're just not as durable as Traxxas or Arrma. I'm a gearhead thru and thru, I just bought the Vigilante because it looked solid, Stay tuned should be here Saturday.

It's stock. And it's very common maybe you lucked out. Also when accelerating the front left tire comes off the ground, the truck doesn't go strait. Here's a list issues on kaiju ext.
3) upper links snapping ( you're going to yell me your didn't snap?) They stated it was a bad formula for the metal. The replacement arms would snap again.
I owned a ton of rc's, I swore after that I wouldn't buy from Redcat again because they're just not as durable as Traxxas or Arrma. I'm a gearhead thru and thru, I just bought the Vigilante because it looked solid, Stay tuned should be here Saturday.
Can't say I've had the same experience as you with the Kaiju. I own both the EXT and OG, both have been absolutely rock solid. I knew the upper arm thing before hand, so I home remedied a replacement and stock up with upper arms for the really nasty crashes. Problems solved.

Haha, yeah I do it for the algorithms if it's the Title. But there is definitely a method to the madness if it's in the thumbnail --

The Stampede 4x4 was actually my first RC car and a lot of people think it's the best first RC car. Debatable.

This is actually the fastest and most durable 1/8 Truggy IMO:

But this is the Best when you take into account Everything. Note the period, not a question mark.

i would say the best beginner truck For the 1/10 would Be the gorgon. If the body didnt cost 80$ because of the useless plastic bits. But for the value of what you get there isnt much who can beat it. The last thing i think for a beginner would be an arrma 3s or a traxxas 3s. The arrma 3s will suffer from the clutch and diffs in the long run versus the traxxas who will drain ur wallet. Traxxas doesn't know how to make a truck handle great. look no further than the maxx slash. Imo a beginner should always start small and not buy a 300-600$ truck as their first rc. You need experience

i would say the best beginner truck For the 1/10 would Be the gorgon. If the body didnt cost 80$ because of the useless plastic bits. But for the value of what you get there isnt much who can beat it. The last thing i think for a beginner would be an arrma 3s or a traxxas 3s. The arrma 3s will suffer from the clutch and diffs in the long run versus the traxxas who will drain ur wallet. Traxxas doesn't know how to make a truck handle great. look no further than the maxx slash. Imo a beginner should always start small and not buy a 300-600$ truck as their first rc. You need experience
Idk, while a bit pricey, a vxl 2wd Rustler doesn't need much of anything for upgrades to have a blast with IMO. They hold up to much abuse in stock form.. 2s is fast enough for experienced users too. 3s is pretty crazy..no boredom there! I imagine a Stampede 2wd vxl is much the same other than being MT vs ST. I'm not saying anything about the Gorgon since I've never even seen one much less used one. But my point is, the TRX brushless 1/10 are very reliable and capable for beginners and experienced hobbyists just the same. Yes, they're a bit pricey, but between parts cost and availability, hard to beat for a newb.

Well, I have to believe you, but I can't say my experience was a disappointing one with the Kaiju. It's still a favorite even after 3 years and many more rc's bought since..

The upper arms were a nuisance I know, after I broke one, I switched out for 5mm turnbuckles all the way around. Sleeves over the outdrives, homemade. I even converted my OG to EXT cuz I felt it was worth it. I like the EXT even more. I hope the Vigilante serves you well brother!! Look forward to hearing your experiences with it!! :) 👍

Last edited:
Idk, while a bit pricey, a vxl 2wd Rustler doesn't need much of anything for upgrades to have a blast with IMO. They hold up to much abuse in stock form.. 2s is fast enough for experienced users too. 3s is pretty crazy..no boredom there! I imagine a Stampede 2wd vxl is much the same other than being MT vs ST. I'm not saying anything about the Gorgon since I've never even seen one much less used one. But my point is, the TRX brushless 1/10 are very reliable and capable for beginners and experienced hobbyists just the same. Yes, they're a bit pricey, but between parts cost and availability, hard to beat for a newb.
I second the Rustler. I remember back in 2000 I was still in high school and didn't know anything about hobby grade RC's (other than they seemed to be really expensive to my 16yr old brain), and my neighbor had just gotten a Ruslter for Christmas. I thought it was the coolest thing ever! I was like "Wow, my ToysRUs Tyco trucks can't do any of the stuff that Rustler can do!" lol. Fast forward to 2021 when I was looking to get into the hobby, I was super close to purchasing a Rustler as my first real hobby grade RC, as the name "Traxxas" was etched in my brain from all those years ago as THEE go to R/C company. I still remember my neighbors Rustler had a run time of only like 10 mins with a 4hr recharge time from some big old-school clunky charger lol.

I second the Rustler. I remember back in 2000 I was still in high school and didn't know anything about hobby grade RC's (other than they seemed to be really expensive to my 16yr old brain), and my neighbor had just gotten a Ruslter for Christmas. I thought it was the coolest thing ever! I was like "Wow, my ToysRUs Tyco trucks can't do any of the stuff that Rustler can do!" lol. Fast forward to 2021 when I was looking to get into the hobby, I was super close to purchasing a Rustler as my first real hobby grade RC, as the name "Traxxas" was etched in my brain from all those years ago as THEE go to R/C company. I still remember my neighbors Rustler had a run time of only like 10 mins with a 4hr recharge time from some big old-school clunky charger lol.
LOL! I know the Rustler hasn't changed a whole lot since Y2K, but it's still a good platform for beginners I feel. Now with Lipo/brushless, These turds can get to like 70MPH!! Like I said, I still enjoy mine on 2s after 35+ years in/out of the hobby. When my bro and I get down with Rustlers, he used to always run 3s vs me on 2s..He got tired of crashing and blowing rear tires off the rims and switched to 2s. Wow, still does wheelies on 2s he says! yeah, I know.. LOL. Without blowing diffs or rear tires too.. huh.. who knew?:rolleyes:

Arrma Gorgon is out for a first RC bone stock, the 50% throttle trim is only on forward and 100% reverse is quickly discovered by a kid. First RC you need to be able to dial the speed down and then dial it back up (should be adjustable only with a screwdriver). Lot of great first RCs but the electronics are not.

Officially kid modified for the next time. Note that it goes 5mph forward and reverse if needed!
1711049634784.png

Can't say I've had the same experience as you with the Kaiju. I own both the EXT and OG, both have been absolutely rock solid. I knew the upper arm thing before hand, so I home remedied a replacement and stock up with upper arms for the really nasty crashes. Problems solved.
Good for you man...my first time accelerating I broke the dog bone on my OG Kaiju. I love the look so much it mainly stays shelved. If you notice the sway bar kit was the same model for ext kaiju. They had a lapse in judgement thinking they could save $$$ by not getting new ones. When the suspension is compressed, the sway bar on ext will also snap your arms be careful.

Good for you man...my first time accelerating I broke the dog bone on my OG Kaiju. I love the look so much it mainly stays shelved. If you notice the sway bar kit was the same model for ext kaiju. They had a lapse in judgement thinking they could save $$$ by not getting new ones. When the suspension is compressed, the sway bar on ext will also snap your arms be careful.
I put a sway bar on my OG, now on the EXT, just the front sway bar. I have Mojave 6s arms on mine, sway bar is from a box 'o spares I had kicking around..might even be from the Redcat Avalanche EXT (2011) not sure. But the sway bar did help minimize rollovers in the corners for sure. Great investment!! I saw the sway bar RC put out for the Kaiju.. laughable at best.

LOL! I know the Rustler hasn't changed a whole lot since Y2K, but it's still a good platform for beginners I feel. Now with Lipo/brushless, These turds can get to like 70MPH!! Like I said, I still enjoy mine on 2s after 35+ years in/out of the hobby. When my bro and I get down with Rustlers, he used to always run 3s vs me on 2s..He got tired of crashing and blowing rear tires off the rims and switched to 2s. Wow, still does wheelies on 2s he says! yeah, I know.. LOL. Without blowing diffs or rear tires too.. huh.. who knew?:rolleyes:

My brother bought a Stampede back in the nicd battery days and proceeded to run my RC10T over. I think that started our RC obsession with monster trucks. I bought a clodbuster and he bought a juggernaut. Then onto nitro because Nicd sucked. Bet he still has that Stampede, that thing ran over everything with his masher tires.

My brother bought a Stampede back in the nicd battery days and proceeded to run my RC10T over. I think that started our RC obsession with monster trucks. I bought a clodbuster and he bought a juggernaut. Then onto nitro because Nicd sucked. Bet he still has that Stampede, that thing ran over everything with his masher tires.
Ahh, sibling rivalry! Love it!! LOL I'm the younger by 5 years, but plus 85lb and 6".. big lil' brother, and still a pain in his a$$!! 😜 :cool: ;)

Nicd! That's what the batteries were! Couldn't think of the name. I remember seeing a Clodbuster back then at a hobby shop and being in awe. I also remember the heated debates of nitro vs electric back then, nitro was actually better than the battery powered stuff back in those days if I recall correctly, got way more back to back run-time. That's an awesome story, he has to keep that Stampede in the family forever now lol.

Nicd! That's what the batteries were! Couldn't think of the name. I remember seeing a Clodbuster back then at a hobby shop and being in awe. I also remember the heated debates of nitro vs electric back then, nitro was actually better than the battery powered stuff back in those days if I recall correctly, got way more back to back run-time. That's an awesome story, he has to keep that Stampede in the family forever now lol.
Remember how long it used to take to charge Nicid...if you didn't fully charge them they would relearn and never charge to full capacity.

Back