ALL NEW 1/5 8S VIGILANTE from REDCAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 4lb heavier than an Xmaxx, yeah, it'll need an upgrade to keep pace I suppose. Surprised it doesn't steer well with a 70kg servo.. I suspect the 70kg may be a bit over rated? That seems to be the case with most DS servos in my experience. Still, it's really a nice looking truck. Not believing it'll beat out the Arrma or TRX 8s in durability, but I believe "I'd" have a lot of fun with a Vigilante.. I wonder if M2C or others will support this truck? That's likely what it would take to be "hard bash" worthy I suspect. Guess we'll have to wait and see where things go.
4lbs heavier than the Xmaxx, a bit longer and wider than the Xmaxx too. Pretty heavyweight at 22lbs without batteries 😅. Hopefully it will not have diff and driveshaft issues like the 8s Arrmas that I have. Mine are broken and I'm not really interested in constantly fixing them anymore. The 8s Arrma trucks are battery and electronic killers too. My Xmaxx and XRT have way less issues. I will most likely get rid of my 8s Arrmas. Even when I just drive around round without jumping they break something!

So far so good with not too huge jumps from what I've seen from a couple of YT videos, but they didn't have any bad landings either 😅. It definitely needs a bigger pinion, motor support in the rear, thicker diff fluid, and probably a better servo.
At 4lb heavier than an Xmaxx, yeah, it'll need an upgrade to keep pace I suppose. Surprised it doesn't steer well with a 70kg servo.. I suspect the 70kg may be a bit over rated? That seems to be the case with most DS servos in my experience. Still, it's really a nice looking truck. Not believing it'll beat out the Arrma or TRX 8s in durability, but I believe "I'd" have a lot of fun with a Vigilante.. I wonder if M2C or others will support this truck? That's likely what it would take to be "hard bash" worthy I suspect. Guess we'll have to wait and see where things go.
I think there's a lot of potential there to be unlocked with pinion changes, ESC tuning, and a possible servo upgrade. At least they left overhead to "improve", as the chassis nor the motor seems to be maxed out. This seems like a marriage between a fun trail truck & a basher. Do I think it'll be able to match the durability of the XMaxx? No, not as of right now at least. But I think it can get people into the large scale arena at a cheaper price of entry, especially once the rollers start popping up on fleabay.

4lbs heavier than the Xmaxx, a bit longer and wider than the Xmaxx too. Pretty heavyweight at 22lbs without batteries 😅. Hopefully it will not have diff and driveshaft issues like the 8s Arrmas that I have. Mine are broken and I'm not really interested in constantly fixing them anymore. The 8s Arrma trucks are battery and electronic killers too. My Xmaxx and XRT have way less issues. I will most likely get rid of my 8s Arrmas. Even when I just drive around round without jumping they break something!
As a new K8S owner, not what I want to hear! LOL. I've run about a half dozen packs through the K8S thus far, no issues. I did install a Firma 1100KV 5687 and 26t pinion, which promptly showed how weak my 4s packs were, they fell flat on their faces even though they ran fine in my stock Xmaxx. I don't bash as hard as most, so hopefully I won't have as many problems with my 8s Arrma as you have..🤞😅🤣

As a new K8S owner, not what I want to hear! LOL. I've run about a half dozen packs through the K8S thus far, no issues. I did install a Firma 1100KV 5687 and 26t pinion, which promptly showed how weak my 4s packs were, they fell flat on their faces even though they ran fine in my stock Xmaxx. I don't bash as hard as most, so hopefully I won't have as many problems with my 8s Arrma as you have..🤞😅🤣
Same. I've only bent a CVD with my K8, but that was after a bad landing from a 8ft jump...it was to be expected in that case. For the most part I'm just a ground pounder, but I was showing off for some little kids that day lol. The K8 IS hard on batteries, they will push those packs to their limits, and I'm still on stock electronics & gearing. I can only imagine the strain it's putting on your packs.

I think there's a lot of potential there to be unlocked with pinion changes, ESC tuning, and a possible servo upgrade. At least they left overhead to "improve", as the chassis nor the motor seems to be maxed out. This seems like a marriage between a fun trail truck & a basher. Do I think it'll be able to match the durability of the XMaxx? No, not as of right now at least. But I think it can get people into the large scale arena at a cheaper price of entry, especially once the rollers start popping up on fleabay.
Good points, at least there's room/options to work with, that's a plus. Like I said, as a "soft core" guy, I could definitely get down with this truck, LOL. ;) 😂

Same. I've only bent a CVD with my K8, but that was after a bad landing from a 8ft jump...it was to be expected in that case. For the most part I'm just a ground pounder, but I was showing off for some little kids that day lol. The K8 IS hard on batteries, they will push those packs to their limits, and I'm still on stock electronics & gearing. I can only imagine the strain it's putting on your packs.
I ended up buying some CNHL G+ 6.0ah. They have no problem keeping up, but as expected, run time is a bit short. No complaints at under $100 for the pair though.
I forgot, I did bend an upper pivot ball when I hit a tree with the K8, it is indeed a real bruiser..LOL. I removed and straightened it, back on line now, but an eye opener for me. These are not as forgiving as a 6s rig.

Last edited:
Idk why but I really like that body it has a 70s C10 look going on.
That's my favorite part about the truck. I like realistic/scale looks...makes me kinda forget I'm playing with a "toy" lol. That and it's the only truck in it's class with that cool retro 70's vibe.

Ok who which one of us is going to take the leap

Ok who which one of us is going to take the leap
I wish I could, but like I said, I would have to get rid of a couple of my rigs first. And I have rigs that need parts. So yeah 😅

First breakage video...
SPOILER ALERT: The Damage is minor
Not too bad. It looks like the arms are flexing too much. That's why the driveshaft popped out. That might start breaking output cups like it did with the Kaiju, but I could be wrong. I'm just speculating now 😅

After seeing this thing out driving the stock power system seems to be rather underwhelming but what did we expect from a Max6 4985 combo. I can already see everyone tossing a Max5 combo in this.

I wish I could, but like I said, I would have to get rid of a couple of my rigs first. And I have rigs that need parts. So yeah 😅

Not too bad. It looks like the arms are flexing too much. That's why the driveshaft popped out. That might start breaking output cups like it did with the Kaiju, but I could be wrong. I'm just speculating now 😅
The arms are literally scaled up versions of the Kaiju arms. We know they flex like pool noodles so.. no surprise if the Vigilante suffers from cvd, drive cup or shock shaft issues IMO.
Mojo 6s arms work well for me on the Kaiju, I wonder if/what arms might fit the Vigilante?

After seeing this thing out driving the stock power system seems to be rather underwhelming but what did we expect from a Max6 4985 combo. I can already see everyone tossing a Max5 combo in this.
For sure. If I were to buy one, I'd start with a 5687 or 5690, see how it runs. I feel like any more motor than that will twist the Vigilante to pieces. Surely someone will do it, I'll gladly watch!!😉😂😎

Last edited:
The arms are literally scaled up versions of the Kaiju arms. We know they flex like pool noodles so.. no surprise if the Vigilante suffers from cvd, drive cup or shock shaft issues IMO.
Mojo 6s arms work well for me on the Kaiju, I wonder if/what arms might fit the Vigilante?

For sure. If I were to buy one, I'd start with a 5687 or 5690, see how it runs. I feel like any more motor than that will twist the Vigilante to pieces. Surely someone will do it, I'll gladly watch!!😉😂😎
I'd absolutely drop the stock V2 electronics from the O8/K8 in there...that setup would definitely wake it up.

I'd absolutely drop the stock V2 electronics from the O8/K8 in there...that setup would definitely wake it up.
Yes, 8.4v BEC would help the servo too I'd bet. At least for a while, LOL.

First breakage video...
SPOILER ALERT: The Damage is minor
LOL, just popped a dog bone... Uh, what about the broken suspension arm? How does he NOT see the right rear wheel is waay out of toe? I suspect a bent rear shock shaft on that side as well, hard to say.
Even with that said, after a two story drop that landed badly, I'm still impressed with the truck.

Last edited:
Yes, 8.4v BEC would help the servo too I'd bet. At least for a while, LOL.

LOL, just popped a dog bone... Uh, what about the broken suspension arm? How does he NOT see the right rear wheel is waay out of toe? I suspect a bent rear shock shaft on that side as well, hard to say.
Even with that said, after a two story drop that landed badly, I'm still impressed with the truck.
Yeah, not too much damage. I would probably be fine with it since I'm not trying to get jumps that look like you are going to end up on top of an airplane anymore. TBH, most rc people don't do huge jumps. Heck, sometimes I just drive around without jumping now.

Yeah, not too much damage. I would probably be fine with it since I'm not trying to get jumps that look like you are going to end up on top of an airplane anymore. TBH, most rc people don't do huge jumps. Heck, sometimes I just drive around without jumping now.
No sure if it's the older age or what, but sometimes just driving around without jumping is oddly fun 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO: Plus you break a lot less stuff when you aren't trying to send it to the moon.

No sure if it's the older age or what, but sometimes just driving around without jumping is oddly fun 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO: Plus you break a lot less stuff when you aren't trying to send it to the moon.
Uh, yeah, ur old!!😂😂 and so am I!!😂😂
JK of course bro.😎
Whatever puts a smile on our face is what it's about IMO. Whether that's no jumps, 2 ft, or 100 ft..😉🍻

Uh, yeah, ur old!!😂😂 and so am I!!😂😂
JK of course bro.😎
Whatever puts a smile on our face is what it's about IMO. Whether that's no jumps, 2 ft, or 100 ft..😉🍻
Ehhh about 1.5ft seems to be the sweet spot for me now. I think my 6ft+ days are very far and few between these days :ROFLMAO:

Kudos to Traxxas engineers for making their XMAXX so light.
It looks like RedCat clearly tried to copy it. I am amazed they added 4-5 lbs with this truck that looks so similar.

I have always been a believer that weight has a significant impact on bashers.

Back