Typhon XLWB typhon speed build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
Been wanting to build one of these and finally decided to do it.

Fireteam chassis
Alza racing ultra low shock towers
Typhon de-anodized rear shocks
Limitless de-anodized front shocks
Typhon 3s wing painted gloss black
Low profile wing mount
CRCU front hinge pin block
Basherqueen top plate
Basherqueen akerman bar
TLR turnbuckles
New GRP tires
HR wheel nuts
XLX2 with 1717 1650 Castle motor
PPS motor mount and center diff carrier
6s cnhl 90c battery
GP5 gears and currently 34/29 center
RC6GS radiolink
Power hobby cap pack

Today was my first time testing and I did a 109 mph pass and then knew it had more and got a 116 but I think there is still a little more in it but I decided to wait for another day. But man seeing that 116 was exciting!!!

28054AAA-2072-4AE1-BC2E-609D0C3EAB6D.jpeg

06A8CA99-AC49-4145-AE28-CD2BD2A4F0F3.png

How dare you say you have the nicest looking motor mount and not show pics of it :ROFLMAO:
Looks killer!
It really is a work of art. Just that dang motor mount makes the whole rig look so much more fancy :ROFLMAO:. I will have to get some good pictures of her insides, waiting on a new set of grp since one of my tires pulled off the rim. I also came across another speed thread that made me realize I need to turn off LVC because it hampers the run and sure enough I looked at my logs and it did sag below LVC so I am pumped to get her back out and see what she will do. Plus I think I have a much better road than I did on these first few runs! Praying for 130!

I just ordered one for mine and one for a future build. Just by casual watching of these speed guys, might as well put wheels on auto ship:LOL:, amazing speeds being achieved by you guys. Good luck!

I tan xlwb typhon last year,,,center shafts became a problem....the longer the center shift the more problems you'll have with them coming apart. Buy good ones an stay away from the scorched titanium ones,vibrations where horrible..I even redid complete layout of car to get shafts more straight and it helped with vibrations alot..1 of the shafts,spool,input cup comes off an center shafts will smack motors,braces,packs an destroy all kinds of $hit...hit 140mph with car..can see how shafts run strait down middle of car..

20211031_125849.jpg

20211031_171855.jpg

20210601_160205.jpg

20211031_125524.jpg

Here's thread on car
Thread '130mph+++ stretched typhon SPEEDRUN build' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/130mph-stretched-typhon-speedrun-build.38711/

I tan xlwb typhon last year,,,center shafts became a problem....the longer the center shift the more problems you'll have with them coming apart. Buy good ones an stay away from the scorched titanium ones,vibrations where horrible..I even redid complete layout of car to get shafts more straight and it helped with vibrations alot..1 of the shafts,spool,input cup comes off an center shafts will smack motors,braces,packs an destroy all kinds of $hit...hit 140mph with car..can see how shafts run strait down middle of car..

View attachment 212948

View attachment 212949

View attachment 212950

View attachment 212951
Here's thread on car
Thread '130mph+++ stretched typhon SPEEDRUN build' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/130mph-stretched-typhon-speedrun-build.38711/
Yessir! I built it partially because of your build. Looks sick. And I already encountered that center shaft issue with the stock shafts. Started eating away at my center brace I was like ooooo that ain't good. So I got the m2c ones, they are heavier so idk if that was technically my best choice but they are solid and straight. Haven't ran it with them yet but hoping to get a run in today. Hoping for 125 🤞. I'm assuming you got the 140 on 8s right?

Ya I had a video of the run,,think I deleted it.heres some pics of that day

20210605_075842.jpg

20210605_083515.jpg

20210605_093924.jpg

Screenshot_20210605-084917_GNSS PA.jpg

Here's a video I did the other day of the car,,,I just play around on the streets with it now..try to keep it under 100mph...I also got the m2c shafts on it..only couple runs with them thou..at 20$ a shaft can't beat it.i spent 100ish $ on the scorched ones an wasn't impressed at all...the ones I had didn't have offset pins an I think it throws the balance off on them..although the new ones have the pins offset.....I'm only running swb cars this year because off all the lwb an xlwb shaft issues I had last year.they tore up a lot last year..

Screenshot_20220420-092610_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Nice build and good looking rig.
Pretty awesome for some of your first runs to run 116 mph already.

Be safe and consider what you can hide behind to protect yourself.
Thank you very much sir 🙌 . It ended up doing 118 on another day and that was still with LVC on. So now its off and im pumped to see what it does. And yes I have a video of the 118 mph and I was standing on the edge of the street car went by like 4 feet from me and the more I watched the video the more I was like jeeze......that would be horrible. So now I plan on bringing a little 4 foot latter to stand on to get me off the ground and protect me a bit.
Ya I had a video of the run,,think I deleted it.heres some pics of that day

View attachment 212956

View attachment 212957

View attachment 212958

View attachment 212959
Here's a video I did the other day of the car,,,I just play around on the streets with it now..try to keep it under 100mph...I also got the m2c shafts on it..only couple runs with them thou..at 20$ a shaft can't beat it.i spent 100ish $ on the scorched ones an wasn't impressed at all...the ones I had didn't have offset pins an I think it throws the balance off on them..although the new ones have the pins offset.....I'm only running swb cars this year because off all the lwb an xlwb shaft issues I had last year.they tore up a lot last year..

View attachment 212962
Damn yeah those are some expensive shafts to not be straight.....makes me feel better about m2c purchase for sure. Are you using any range boosting or is that just a normal rc6gs? I am running that too so I am just curious

Thank you very much sir 🙌 . It ended up doing 118 on another day and that was still with LVC on. So now its off and im pumped to see what it does. And yes I have a video of the 118 mph and I was standing on the edge of the street car went by like 4 feet from me and the more I watched the video the more I was like jeeze......that would be horrible. So now I plan on bringing a little 4 foot latter to stand on to get me off the ground and protect me a bit.

Damn yeah those are some expensive shafts to not be straight.....makes me feel better about m2c purchase for sure. Are you using any range boosting or is that just a normal rc6gs? I am running that too so I am just curious
I am running a 1500mah cnhl 3s pack with xt30 plug on radiolink....puts it at 12.6volts instead of the 6 aa battery's that put it at 9v..seams to help with range,plus no more buying AAs...the radiolink will go through some AAs..if you pull battery tray out of bottom of remote you'll see a jst connection..if interested I can send some pics of it when I get off work
My distance pb with radiolink is 4444feet with no problems

I am running a 1500mah cnhl 3s pack with xt30 plug on radiolink....puts it at 12.6volts instead of the 6 aa battery's that put it at 9v..seams to help with range,plus no more buying AAs...the radiolink will go through some AAs..if you pull battery tray out of bottom of remote you'll see a jst connection..if interested I can send some pics of it when I get off work
My distance pb with radiolink is 4444feet with no problems
That's what I do too! But a goldbat battery from Amazon. But same thing 1500 mAh it's beautiful not having to worry about those damn AA anymore. But damn 4444!? Sheesh ok then I guess I don't have to worry about that for now

That's what I do too! But a goldbat battery from Amazon. But same thing 1500 mAh it's beautiful not having to worry about those damn AA anymore. But damn 4444!? Sheesh ok then I guess I don't have to worry about that for now
Almost gotta have a xlwb car to go that far to see it when turning around...I got 20/20 vision an that's but far as I can see to be able to turn car around...I've been doing about 4000ft runs with little 1/10th an that's about its limits held up by my vision..nothing worst than running car off edge of road when turning around...........
Check out #12 (I THINK) on radiolink...STEERING SPEED..I run mine at like 8-10%..an keep the return at 100%%...helped me the most with speedrunning....it'll steer slow helping you control starts a turning at 100+++...and you can keep steering end points high so you don't have to adjust every time you turn around......don't want to have to adjust anything during a run...it'll F you up making adjustments during a run..also the older red 1.3v receivers are junk...get the newer 1.4v blue splash proof ones...AND PROTECT YOUR ANTENNAS OR YOULL GET THIS

20211019_175029.jpg

Almost gotta have a xlwb car to go that far to see it when turning around...I got 20/20 vision an that's but far as I can see to be able to turn car around...I've been doing about 4000ft runs with little 1/10th an that's about its limits held up by my vision..nothing worst than running car off edge of road when turning around...........
Check out #12 (I THINK) on radiolink...STEERING SPEED..I run mine at like 8-10%..an keep the return at 100%%...helped me the most with speedrunning....it'll steer slow helping you control starts a turning at 100+++...and you can keep steering end points high so you don't have to adjust every time you turn around......don't want to have to adjust anything during a run...it'll F you up making adjustments during a run..also the older red 1.3v receivers are junk...get the newer 1.4v blue splash proof ones...AND PROTECT YOUR ANTENNAS OR YOULL GET THIS

View attachment 212980
Ooommmggg that must have hurt your soul dude. That's crazy.... But I didn't know there was new and old. I'll have to look into that. Thank you for that clearly important bit of info

Here's the 2 RL receivers..the bottom ones are junk..break so easy an had a runaway destroying a 1000$ car..78mph into a curb..nothing I could do but watch it smack a curb..

View attachment 213200
damn yeah I would be so broken hearted to see that happen. But good news is I have the top one so I'm happy about that, thank you for the picture that was very helpful

damn yeah I would be so broken hearted to see that happen. But good news is I have the top one so I'm happy about that, thank you for the picture that was very helpful
FYI got a new distance pb today with radiolink,no issues,gonna try for 5000ft,keep going little farther each time..

Screenshot_20220421-123005_GNSS PA.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back