Why do “professionals” give bad advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm missing some hidden trick to disassembling the IC5 but it doesn't looked like they come apart. They look somewhat similar to pics of the XT60 and XT90 plugs. Got a trough you lay the wire and solder in.

Kinda pricey, but I liked the ability to solder in that trough. And the 3s Granite BLX came with IC5 connectors and didn't want to attempt soldering a new connector on an ESC without a lot more experience
EC5 connectors come a part, I'm not sure about IC5.

The EC5 push out towards the open back (wire end). There are a bunch of YT videos. Look for soldering EC5.

Soldering is simple if you have done it for 50 years like me. Even used higher power irons to build circuit boards because that is the only iron I had. Th real answer is practice. I would first watch a few videos online. The make sure you understand how and what flux to use. How to prepare the joint first, cleaning if needed etc., then practice like crazy on scraps.

I used a gun style when I first started but have switched to irons early on and have never gone back.

Not meaning to be a jerk but practice does make perfect but make sure you have the correct tools. For 10 gauge wire I use a 35 watt iron such as https://www.amazon.com/Weller-7760-...s=ungar+soldering+iron&qid=1712463701&sr=8-22

and this tip: https://www.amazon.com/Weller-1233S...ds=ungar+soldering+iron&qid=1712463701&sr=8-5

Similar to mine but mine is 40 years old because they work forever.

Soldering is simple if you have done it for 50 years like me. Even used higher power irons to build circuit boards because that is the only iron I had. Th real answer is practice. I would first watch a few videos online. The make sure you understand how and what flux to use. How to prepare the joint first, cleaning if needed etc., then practice like crazy on scraps.

I used a gun style when I first started but have switched to irons early on and have never gone back.

Not meaning to be a jerk but practice does make perfect but make sure you have the correct tools. For 10 gauge wire I use a 35 watt iron such as https://www.amazon.com/Weller-7760-...s=ungar+soldering+iron&qid=1712463701&sr=8-22

and this tip: https://www.amazon.com/Weller-1233S...ds=ungar+soldering+iron&qid=1712463701&sr=8-5

Similar to mine but mine is 40 years old because they work forever.
It took me a minute to figure out why those tips were so expensive until I realized that they have the heater built in them.

Unless you've got some wonky connectors the EC5 are supposed be removed. The plastic is NOT high temp. Which is why it melts.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/maclan...688?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=description
mcl4157.jpg

You have to give them a bit of love. The come out of the housing and are meant to be assembled.

Maybe I'm missing some hidden trick to disassembling the IC5 but it doesn't looked like they come apart. They look somewhat similar to pics of the XT60 and XT90 plugs. Got a trough you lay the wire and solder in.

Kinda pricey, but I liked the ability to solder in that trough. And the 3s Granite BLX came with IC5 connectors and didn't want to attempt soldering a new connector on an ESC without a lot more experience
I don’t understand how you melt the plastic on ec5 you solder the connector and press the connector in end of the blue plastic cover

Can I revive this thread and ask a dumb question? I have one of these 85W Weller units and a gun from years ago, I could not get the original solder to melt on the stock EC5 connector after a minute+ of heating. Is it just using one of the larger flat blade tips? I did car stereo for years and it was irritating that the solder didn't immediately soak in.

Can I revive this thread and ask a dumb question? I have one of these 85W Weller units and a gun from years ago, I could not get the original solder to melt on the stock EC5 connector after a minute+ of heating. Is it just using one of the larger flat blade tips? I did car stereo for years and it was irritating that the solder didn't immediately soak in.
Guns can be made to work with large solder joints but aren’t the best - they aren’t regulated temperature and don’t have much thermal mass - temps swing.

That iron is 85w in but 70w out. Should be fine for ec5 but yes you will need a big tip. Remember to put a small amount of solder on the tip before touching to the joint - liquid solder will transfer heat more efficiently as it will easily conform to the surface.

The gun is a big Crayola marker from soldering Camry's back in the 00's, but after looking at it, it's amazingly beat, so probably not holding a temperature like it used to.

That bit about that liquid solder is conformable and transfers heat better, never considered it that way. Always just kept solder on the tip of the gun.

Appreciate the advice, ordering some bigger tips for this thing.

1714540374508.png

1714540346548.png

Last edited:
The gun is a big Crayola marker from soldering Camry's back in the 00's, but after looking at it, it's amazingly beat, so probably not holding a temperature like it used to.

That bit about that liquid solder is conformable and transfers heat better, never considered it that way. Always just kept solder on the tip of the gun.

Appreciate the advice, ordering some bigger tips for this thing.

View attachment 363884

View attachment 363883
The tip looks a bit pitted and rusty?

Might try cleaning it up or replacing it and see what you get.

The tip looks a bit pitted and rusty?

Might try cleaning it up or replacing it and see what you get.
Found it, 400/150W Wall Enk. The 3rd or 4th picture shows what the tip looks like, the ceramic at the end is probably cracked, the whole thing is probably covered in carbon and it's ready to go any time.

Ugh, I'm going to have to re-do the zip ties. lol

I haven’t seen a gun like that. Usually it’s a loop of copper wire

Still not temp controlled but should be fine. That tip is definitely ugly - probably beyond cleaning. Surprised any solder would stick to it.

I haven’t seen a gun like that. Usually it’s a loop of copper wire

Still not temp controlled but should be fine. That tip is definitely ugly - probably beyond cleaning. Surprised any solder would stick to it.
The loop burns out within a week or two and you replace it or when you don't have any new tips, you twist them together. ergo, just buy a fatter tip. Had an installer tell me my same gun finally shorted on him and turned the whole tip molten red, then it dropped off. Burnt through the customer's floor mat, carpet and straight to the pan. They had to repair the whole thing, new floormat etc. Worked the balls in December and January installing everyone's remote starters. zapped myself twice in the same day with this gun lol

that's not what the last one cost, that's for sure!

Back