When your suspension loses its spunk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton 4s
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Outcast 4s
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 3s
  11. Vorteks
I've noticed over time that when I change my silicone oil and clean the shock all around, my car still doesn't have that same spunk suspension wise as compared to a brand new car. For example, I recall on my new cars I would drop it waist height, and watch the car compress the suspension, then hop right back up to ride height. The car would also be very plushy if I slowly drove it forward, then reverse, I could see the suspension moving very freely.

Nowadays my suspension doesn't pop back up the same way when the car is dropped, and I can't see the suspension play as much when I drive forward or reverse. It comes back up but just not as much, seems to have lost its springyness. However I haven't adjusted anything, and I'm not looking for the car to actually "spring", I know it shouldn't do that if the shock is working properly and has the appropriate weight oil inside.

I've checked all other things like my Arms, pivot balls, etc...all those parts that may play into the car not moving freely but everything seems fine. I even squirt a tad of WD40 in all the moving parts but it still just doesn't feel the same as stock. Anyone have any clue what I mean or what I may need to do to get my suspension back to how it was when the car was fresh out the box?

The springs do lose stiffness so over time you will need to wind down the shock collars for more preload. Oils can get a bit grimy and will loosen up after a while, and the pistons and shock bodies also wear in a bit too. I have shock bodies that have lost their anodising on the inside

It could also be that the suspension arms have bowed a bit, in which case you can boil and bend them back to their original shape

Think you just need new springs...
This ^

Over time the springs weaken and compress.
These 2 springs are actually the same.
20210807_194612.jpg

Springs
I've noticed over time that when I change my silicone oil and clean the shock all around, my car still doesn't have that same spunk suspension wise as compared to a brand new car. For example, I recall on my new cars I would drop it waist height, and watch the car compress the suspension, then hop right back up to ride height. The car would also be very plushy if I slowly drove it forward, then reverse, I could see the suspension moving very freely.

Nowadays my suspension doesn't pop back up the same way when the car is dropped, and I can't see the suspension play as much when I drive forward or reverse. It comes back up but just not as much, seems to have lost its springyness. However I haven't adjusted anything, and I'm not looking for the car to actually "spring", I know it shouldn't do that if the shock is working properly and has the appropriate weight oil inside.

I've checked all other things like my Arms, pivot balls, etc...all those parts that may play into the car not moving freely but everything seems fine. I even squirt a tad of WD40 in all the moving parts but it still just doesn't feel the same as stock. Anyone have any clue what I mean or what I may need to do to get my suspension back to how it was when the car was fresh out the box?
Springs and insides of shocks are worn

I would like to suggest going through all your hinge pins and rods or whatever. When these get bent over time the cause the arms to not move freely etc..

You can straighten out the pins and ream out the arm holes until it's all butter. It should be free but not loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back