What's better that MIP?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a link to those? I can't find them on their site.

I have this set of wiha's on my gift list to try out at some point:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006OBFCC/
Edit: forgot the screenshot :coffee: 😅

Interesting review on the Wiha's 🤔

1617470713022.png

Last edited:
Today my MIP hex broke when tightening a pinion. Kind of disappointed since I was using a weak bosch mini-driver.. Also didn't expect that they only provide a 30 day warranty :/

Anyways, can I get something better? Maybe i did something wrong?

View attachment 136194
my mip hex driver tips didnt last as long as I thought they would. was a bit let down really for the price

my mip hex driver tips didnt last as long as I thought they would. was a bit let down really for the price
I figured MIP offers a decent warranty. 30 days!!!!! I've never owned anything MIP, and they get pretty good reviews, but the lack of warranty and this snobby statement on their website is deterring me. I'll keep shopping...

1617471166447.png

The MIPs are great but it's pretty damn silly that they send you a sticker and heat-shrink to put the labels on. I was watching a video of a drone frame designer recently and he commented for those of you who own MIPs and are noticing my driver here, I goofed and reversed the labels before applying them to my 2.5 and 2.0mm drivers. So these aren't 2.5mm screws I'm using here, they're 2mm hex. :ROFLMAO:

I've been following because of the mysticism surrounding MIP tools. Here's my point of view. The quality of a hand tool comes down to the extent of quality control on materials and heat treating. If you're rounding tips, it's because corners were cut, or the company wants to sell you a new one every couple of years. For the price of MIP, you could buy a whole set of Wiha or Klein drivers, both made in USA. Or try xcelite or another European brand. MIP does not advertise where their tools are made, and my guess is that they don't actually manufacture their own products (or else they'd brag about it on their website). I think there is a lot of fetishism driving the cult following with MIP. Any thoughts?

I use Wera, MIP, Integy and some other noname chinese stuff. Mainly because I started out with Chinese, next was Wera, I would skip over those in hindsight.
Handsdown, the MIP have the tightest fit and the best grip on the handle. Those are the only ones I have used successfully to break a torque without stripping the screw where the others would do exactly that. If it still doesn't work some heat is needed but at least the screw is still intact.

Wera are the easiest to use if you do not have to apply insane torque. The edges are already round but that system is very good.

I use the chinese knockoffs for all the mileage i.e. electric tool and turning. MIP is initial and final only.

My field tools are cheaper Integy versions. I lost 1 MIP in the field and I will never take them out again. I added a 'long' 2mm for the droop screws. Again some cheapo as there is no torque involved.

I really like the design of a couple Wera tools I have in particular one you can store the bits in the handle and the way it breaks down and adjusts. But the bits they give you are cheap and flimsy. Bits are a consumable anyway so you can switch to something better or with what suits your need.

Any Bondhus owners? I don’t have them but considering giving them a try. They offer unconditional life time warranty just return no questions asked. They seem to be 5 star rating, made in USA.

I have a theory that I'd like to test. I'll post my findings after I get organized. I have a calibrated German metric micrometer that measures differences of 1um. I'm going to measure all of the 2.5 mm drivers I've got, and see if my favorites are my favorites because they are spec'd slightly oversize to make a secure no-strip connection with the screws. I'm guessing that's what it is.

Grip on the handle is a very important qualitative design factor, so I'm not going to dismiss that. It's important.

I have a theory that I'd like to test. I'll post my findings after I get organized. I have a calibrated German metric micrometer that measures differences of 1um. I'm going to measure all of the 2.5 mm drivers I've got, and see if my favorites are my favorites because they are spec'd slightly oversize to make a secure no-strip connection with the screws. I'm guessing that's what it is.

Grip on the handle is a very important qualitative design factor, so I'm not going to dismiss that. It's important.
the grip and the fit is really good it was the tips that didnt last maybe a few months thought they where going to last years

6 months and my 2mm MIP was trash. My 2mm Amazon cheapo is still good after a year and a half https://www.amazon.com/NEEWER®-Titanium-Nitride-Driver-Wrench/dp/B00CP2GGBI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=neewer+rc+tools&qid=1617498584&sr=8-2
Any Bondhus owners? I don’t have them but considering giving them a try. They offer unconditional life time warranty just return no questions asked. They seem to be 5 star rating, made in USA.
I see that brand recommended a lot, I might give them a try next.

That set you linked is my "favorite" set of drivers for RC. I measured some 2.5 mm in my shop today and found the ones I thought were good were undersized by 15 microns or less. The set I thought was $hitty was 150 um undersized. I still need to measure what's on my RC bench, but I'm guessing they are spot on if not a few mics over.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back