What does it mean to run an ESC parallel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Very newbie question, but I do not know.

What does it mean when you run in parallel vs series?

I think most of the 6S rigs I own ESC have two ESC connections. This is a series, right...

Then, I purchased a used 8S rig. The ESC has one connection, a single QS8, and it connects to an adapter with two EC5 ends for batteries.

Is this still a series or parallel?

If Parallel....what does that mean?

Series vs parallel battery military 24v systems use 2 or more 12 v battery's wired in series to get 24v diesel trucks use parallel 12v to get more capacity or longer cranking same theory

Here

Series vs parallel battery military 24v systems use 2 or more 12 v battery's wired in series to get 24v diesel trucks use parallel 12v to get more capacity or longer cranking same theory

Here
Better diagram

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429_221233_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_221233_Chrome.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 19
  • main-qimg-750846abbfb54c7034db30b25d00f3b4-lq.jpeg
    main-qimg-750846abbfb54c7034db30b25d00f3b4-lq.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 19
If they connect in series, voltage is additive, if in parallel, amps are.
2 escs with 8v out each, wired in series, is 16 volts to the motor. In parallel, amps add together.
Just like a battery pack

Last edited:

I think most of the 6S rigs I own ESC have two ESC connections. This is a series, right...

Then, I purchased a used 8S rig. The ESC has one connection, a single QS8, and it connects to an adapter with two EC5 ends for batteries.

Would depend on how that adaptor is wired, it could be wired for Parallel or Series.

This should help: https://traxxas.com/support/Dual-Batteries-116-Models

If two 4s 5,000mAh batteries were wired in Parallel the voltage would be 4s and the mAh would be 10,000mAh.
If two 4s 5,000mAh batteries were wired in Series the voltage would be 8s and the mAh would be 5,000mAh.

Something to remember, regardless of connection type in both scenarios your useable wattage for the two batteries is the same: 148watts

Last edited:
Parallel also has the ability to deliver more current. If you have a high current situation like speed runs or drag racing, it helps. More Amps = more power. You can buy "drag pack" that are in already in a parallel configuration with a single connector.

But remember you can't get anything more than your system can pull and but you are likely limited by heat dissipation in those cases.

Parallel also has the ability to deliver more current. If you have a high current situation like speed runs or drag racing, it helps. More Amps = more power. You can buy "drag pack" that are in already in a parallel configuration with a single connector.

But remember you can't get anything more than your system can pull and but you are likely limited by heat dissipation in those cases.
Thank you....great knowledge to add to all this! (y)

That's why you run esc's in parallel not just parallel packs into one esc.
Each esc only has to handle 1/2 the current. The real heavy current is downstream of the esc's common power lead connect point. That's where you need the welder cable.

Now I have a question. If you are running parallel (or even series) brushless esc's, how do you synch them together? Since they are frequency drives do they need to be sync'ed? Sensored motor with y-cable sensor wires? Do output lead and sensor lead lengths have to be kept the same for both esc's?

Now I have a question. If you are running parallel (or even series) brushless esc's, how do you synch them together? Since they are frequency drives do they need to be sync'ed? Sensored motor with y-cable sensor wires? Do output lead and sensor lead lengths have to be kept the same for both esc's?
You don’t. You really can’t synchronize them, per se.
A dual motor/dual ESC setup needs to be viewed as two completely separate systems. One ESC is usually reversed for rotation of course, but beyond that the ESC’s need to be the same (like two XLX2’s, not an XLX2 and an MMX8’s, for example) and the settings for each need to be identical, especially for LVC and punch. But yes, all settings.
The batteries and the motors also need to be identical on each side as well. The really serious guys will run several identical motors on a motor analyzer to choose the two that have the closest KV’s, as they all vary a bit.
Hope this helps.

For a dual motor setup I know it is important to have motors that closely match. I am building a dual motor setup and just ran each motor on the KV tester from SkyRC and found they were within 30 kv of each other. This should be close enough. Most motors have some variations in KV even if marked as the same motor.

I have not heard of y-cable sensor wires and think that could result in some problems if your 4 pole motor(s) starts sending 8 pole pulses to the ESC.

I believe the biggest factor is to only have one ESC power the BEC circuit for the RX and servo and have closely matching motors.

I believe the biggest factor is to only have one ESC power the BEC circuit for the RX and servo and have closely matching motors.
That’s definitely an important consideration that I overlooked. If it were me however, I would be running a dedicated pack to power the receiver (and ancillary devices like fans, etc.) or a stand-alone BEC to power it.
I’ve heard others opine that the extra power draw from the Primary ESC’s (the one powering the ESC) BEC can cause spikes that could be harmful or impact performance in some way. I have zero first hand experience here, I’m just regurgitating what I’ve tried to learn here.
Also, I have never heard of anyone running y-cable sensor wires and I agree that that would seem to have Bad Idea written all over it. I have heard of others mentioning a Y-cable to connect the 2 ESC’s to receiver channel 2 but again, I have no experience with this.

For a dual motor setup I know it is important to have motors that closely match. I am building a dual motor setup and just ran each motor on the KV tester from SkyRC and found they were within 30 kv of each other. This should be close enough. Most motors have some variations in KV even if marked as the same motor.

I have not heard of y-cable sensor wires and think that could result in some problems if your 4 pole motor(s) starts sending 8 pole pulses to the ESC.

Ok, I was thinking of a single motor fed by 2 esc's. Like if the Amp draw was way too much for a single esc, 2 packs, 2 esc, one motor.
For dual motors close matching is wanted, but the motors will self-compensate to an extent.

Ok, I was thinking of a single motor fed by 2 esc's. Like if the Amp draw was way too much for a single esc, 2 packs, 2 esc, one motor.
That’s a new one on me. Have you tried this, or known of others trying it?
For dual motors close matching is wanted, but the motors will self-compensate to an extent.
I don’t believe that in a dual motor setup that either motors or ESC’s will self compensate to any extent.

This should do it!

Probably just better to get a more powerful ESC like a Max5 / Max4 or Castle XLX2 in that scenario.
Certainly less likely for problems to occur

The reason they put a single QS8, in my opinion....you can put way more V into it, let's say 12S. But if you put QS8 on your batteries that get's expensive...FAST! then you will need QS8 on your charger....MORE MONEY.....

So, they put a series connector with EC5 so they don't have to change their batteries or charger. the EC5/IC5 can handle 6S power easy...the QS8 can handle the combined 6x2=12S easy.

I run my 12S set up this way!

Probably just better to get a more powerful ESC like a Max5 / Max4 or Castle XLX2 in that scenario.
Certainly less likely for problems to occur
Definitely. But I have yet to venture into the larger scale arena, and was thinking of a huge motor drawing much amps, enough where 2esc's could be reality.

Back