Kraton Very much dead Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxgasmekl

Reaction score
My brand new (ran 4 packs) Kraton suddenly died today after 10 mins of bashing (no jumps) on a very well-groomed and flat grassfield. Now everything is dead. The servo (stock) wont turn no more. Like its stuck also when powered off. There is no binding in the steering. There is no throttleresponse, i have tried to rebind, no luck. My 2x 3s gensacearespammers 8000mah bashing packs seem fine. No lipo cutoff, no thermal cutoff prior to sudden death. I have tried to unplug the servo. Still no luck… Its really strange. When I turn on the car it beeps and blinks green but only five times. Sometimes only four. Also the fans seem to not have full power. They go up and down in speed. Sometimes the esc suddenly blinks green one additional time after a minute or so. But still don't work. Is the servo and esc roast? Or is something wrong with the reciever? Thanks in advance

You need to isolate the issue to a single component which is likely what failed. Sounds like a possible ESC issue but rule out the battery and receiver/transmitter first because those are the easier fixes. Do you have another vehicle that you can test with? If so plug in the other car's ESC into the receiver along with the servo wire and see if you can connect to it and control the servo * and throttle. That way you can rule out the battery and receiver. That would isolate the issue to the ESC and you can start there.

Also, I don't have a diagnostic blink code guide handy but check out one of those as well, that might further highlight any issues.

EDIT: Page 13 for diagnostic codes... https://www.arrma-rc.com/on/demandw...w765272c6/Manuals/ARRMA-6SV5-Manual-MULTI.pdf

Do any of these sound right? There is also a troubleshooting guide on the next page.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 3.58.47 PM.png

You need to isolate the issue to a single component which is likely what failed. Sounds like a possible ESC issue but rule out the battery and receiver/transmitter first because those are the easier fixes. Do you have another vehicle that you can test with? If so plug in the other car's ESC into the receiver along with the servo wire and see if you can connect to it and control the servo * and throttle. That way you can rule out the battery and receiver. That would isolate the issue to the ESC and you can start there.

Also, I don't have a diagnostic blink code guide handy but check out one of those as well, that might further highlight any issues.

EDIT: Page 13 for diagnostic codes... https://www.arrma-rc.com/on/demandw...w765272c6/Manuals/ARRMA-6SV5-Manual-MULTI.pdf

Do any of these sound right? There is also a troubleshooting guide on the next page.

View attachment 283937
Thank you so much. I don't have another car i can try it on. I think its weird that both the esc and the servo dies at the same time. Also I tried to fully charge the batteries and plug them in. As soon as i unplug the servo from the reciever the car beeps 6 times with flashing green light as its supposed to. But still no throttle. When I rebind the reciever the orange light on it dims when i pull the trigger forward or reverse - as i guess its supposed to. But still no motor respons. Also when i turn with the steeringwheel no respons/orange light dims from the reciever. Even with a brand new servo i had laying around. There was no respons. When I try to throttle calibrate, the green light flashes once in neutral but nothing flashes when i hit the throttle and press the set button again. The same goes for reverse. Im 100% confused :(

Sounds like your servo died and is locking out the ESC on high BEC current.

Unplug your servo at the receiver and then see if your throttle response comes back. If it does then it’s the servo.
I tried that and the 6s count on the esc came back. But still no throttle response. And recalibrate the esc isnt possible as the esc only responds to the first/neural position. What do you mean by “locking out the esc on high bec current”? Is it possible that the servo has killed itself and then the esc?

It turned out that it was the servo that died and it somehow took the tx down with it. Tried with a dx5 and it worked perfect. Tried with the “old” tx and no respons. Its really strange, but now im the proud ovner of a new tx. I hope that Horizon will send me a new servo and tx under waranty:)

It turned out that it was the servo that died and it somehow took the tx down with it. Tried with a dx5 and it worked perfect. Tried with the “old” tx and no respons. Its really strange, but now im the proud ovner of a new tx. I hope that Horizon will send me a new servo and tx under waranty:)
Sounds like the servo pulled too many amps through the Rx and burned out a trace. Glad you figured it out. Those multiple-failures-at-once can be hard to diagnose if you don’t have a pile of spares to test with.

Bummer but hopefully arrma makes you whole.

Yes its very annoying when so many things potentially can be wrong. I actually just took the car out, and after a hard 14 mins bashingrun on a flat grassfield the lipocutoff that appears already around 3.7v/cell on Spectrum(don't think this can be changed?) brought the car to slow speed as normal. Then I ran the car like 50 meters more and the car suddenly didnt respond to throttle and brake no more. Solid red on the esc, cells were between 3.58 and 3.64. The esc was hot but no way near burning. I let the car sit for 10 mins plugged the batteries in again. And bam - full throttle and brake again. So I might have a problem with the esc anyhow. This is a situation that keeps bringing new strangeness to the table…

That can happen though, because the voltage jumps around a lot when the car is in use so the LVC kicks in when the voltage drops below a set number. Then when you plug it back in you’re good for a bit but then you’ll drain the voltage down even further before LVC kicks in.

I’m not sure why this happens, maybe someone else can chime in with the technical reason.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back