Kraton Typhon/Kraton/Talion 6s Frankenstein build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Getting ready to start a new build today. Wanted to build something different and ended up deciding on a Kraton chassis, diffs, hubs/axles, hexes along with Typhon arms and shocks/towers. Also going with Mojave 4s tires and Talion EXB front bumper and a full length Proline truck body.
1000006794.jpg

Some upgrade parts:
ADU Racing 7075 chassis, suspension mounts, motor mount, front diff mount, and center diff cover

Aluminum center chassis braces
Carbon fiber Typhon shock towers
Mugen diff shim kit
M2c drill blank diff pins
30kg servo

Everything else is parts bin stock stuff or things I got from Jenny's and lumidave on ebay.Wwill probably upgrade servo and esc/motor, but gonna run it like this first and decide on that later.

Should be a fun build!

Getting ready to start a new build today. Wanted to build something different and ended up deciding on a Kraton chassis, diffs, hubs/axles, hexes along with Typhon arms and shocks/towers. Also going with Mojave 4s tires and Talion EXB front bumper and a full length Proline truck body.
View attachment 372007

Some upgrade parts:
ADU Racing 7075 chassis, suspension mounts, motor mount, front diff mount, and center diff cover

Mugen diff shim kit
30kg servo

Everything else is parts bin stock stuff or things I got from Jenny's and lumidave on ebay.Wwill probably upgrade servo and esc/motor, but gonna run it like this first and decide on that later.

Should be a fun build!
going for the long thin look will be different I suppose

I am along for the build. It sounds like a 1/7 scale better version of the Traxxas Raptor Slash that was just the old slash with a longer wheelbase chassis. ;)

View attachment 372007

Some upgrade parts:

Mugen diff shim kit
30kg servo

Should be a fun build!

Nice, it will be Fun!

One of mine is similar. All parts from Jenny.

KRATON 6s EXB - CHASSIS (LWB)
KRATON 6s EXB - Center Brace Bar and Center Brace Mounts
Typhon 6s Arms and hubs with extensions. (+30mm)

TALION 6s EXB - Towers Front/Rear Shock Towers
F/shocks: 104mm, 16x49 mm Shock Body, springs 70mm 1.35N/sq.m (7.7 f-lb/in), 1x2x8 pistons, 1000cst
R/shocks: 117mm, 16x54mm Shock Body, springs 85mm 1.09n/mm 6.2lb/in Springs, 1x2x8, 800cst

DIFFERENTIALS
F/ Typhon (43t/13t)
R/ Typhon (43t/13t)
C/ Kraton EXB LSD (50t Spur with 22t-pinion)

MMX8/1515 2200Kv

It's a Beast on the pavement, dirt and low grass. I LOVE the Mojave Tires on it. Typhon tires are too small. Hoon 107s on pavement :)

Got it started yesterday, got a good bit done. Diffs rebuilt with Mugen shims and M2c drill blank pins. Diff fluids are 30/300/20. Motor & center diff/mount are done. Really like the ADU 7075 finish, very nice fit too. The suspension mounts look strong, glad to get them in 7075 aluminum without forking out a small fortune.
1000006796.jpg
1000006797.jpg
1000006798.jpg
1000006799.jpg

Still working on it tonight, but a little too much edibles so I lost one side of the bellcrank, so probably wont get too much more done 🤣🤣🤣
1000006800.jpg

Got it started yesterday, got a good bit done. Diffs rebuilt with Mugen shims and M2c drill blank pins. Diff fluids are 30/300/20. Motor & center diff/mount are done. Really like the ADU 7075 finish, very nice fit too. The suspension mounts look strong, glad to get them in 7075 aluminum without forking out a small fortune.
View attachment 372478View attachment 372479View attachment 372480View attachment 372481

Still working on it tonight, but a little too much edibles so I lost one side of the bellcrank, so probably wont get too much more done 🤣🤣🤣
View attachment 372482
make sure you put some circlips under that servo saver while its out unless your putting a better one in

Planning to add an adjustable servo tube eventually, the stock usually does ok for me for a few good bashes before it starts getting sloppy, lol.

Got a few more things done tonight, realized the servo horn I planned to use wont work so got the right one ordered. Also waiting for an input gear for the front diff. Proline truck body is s great fit.

1000006801.jpg
1000006802.jpg

Front chassis brace did not have a hole for the screw that holds it to the top plate, sending it back and I'll have the replacement either Saturday or Monday.

I painted the Silverado body metallic red, looks great but I don't like the overall fit with the smaller tires, looks a bit goofy IMO. Current options would require adding a wing. I could cut the back of the Silverado body like a Kraton body, run a Talion body, or add some standoffs and make it a stretch Typhon. Not sure if the tower2tower brace is necessary with the 7075 chassis, if so that would rule out the Typhon. Hmmm...🤔

1000006806.jpg
1000006807.jpg
1000006808.jpg

Front chassis brace did not have a hole for the screw that holds it to the top plate, sending it back and I'll have the replacement either Saturday or Monday.

I painted the Silverado body metallic red, looks great but I don't like the overall fit with the smaller tires, looks a bit goofy IMO. Current options would require adding a wing. I could cut the back of the Silverado body like a Kraton body, run a Talion body, or add some standoffs and make it a stretch Typhon. Not sure if the tower2tower brace is necessary with the 7075 chassis, if so that would rule out the Typhon. Hmmm...🤔

View attachment 373070View attachment 373071View attachment 373072
I know you like the trucks and not the wings so much, but I do dig both the Tali and Typhon bodies on there more. I know, it's not mine to choose, lol. Nice build bro!!

View attachment 373070View attachment 373071View attachment 373072

I wanted to run the buggy body lower but; I needed more room inside and that center brace was important! Not sure how hard you're going to be on it, but it Flexes a lot without it fast over rough fields and dirt.
I also did away with the pins. I use Velcro on the sides. It's actually way stronger. I lost a few body's because it ripped itself apart from the pins.

I love the Yellow Typhon body BTW!

I tried running mine without a Wing for fun and it was Horrible at speed. it also help protects the rear towers when flipping and tumbling. Ive replaced a few Wing brackets that saved the towers and shocks, know what I mean? And I hatted the RPM brackets. They just bend and stay that way, all bent and weird looking. Id rather the bracket just break and replace it.

Depends on how brutal you're going to be I guess.

I know you like the trucks and not the wings so much, but I do dig both the Tali and Typhon bodies on there more. I know, it's not mine to choose, lol. Nice build bro!!
I think something with a wing is going to end up working best. The red Silverado wheelbase is a perfect match for my Notorious so I would rather use it for that, will look much better there. I like both other bodies a lot, but will probably go Talion so I can run the center brace.
I wanted to run the buggy body lower but; I needed more room inside and that center brace was important! Not sure how hard you're going to be on it, but it Flexes a lot without it fast over rough fields and dirt.
I also did away with the pins. I use Velcro on the sides. It's actually way stronger. I lost a few body's because it ripped itself apart from the pins.

I love the Yellow Typhon body BTW!

I tried running mine without a Wing for fun and it was Horrible at speed. it also help protects the rear towers when flipping and tumbling. Ive replaced a few Wing brackets that saved the towers and shocks, know what I mean? And I hatted the RPM brackets. They just bend and stay that way, all bent and weird looking. Id rather the bracket just break and replace it.

Depends on how brutal you're going to be I guess.
I'm not sure how hard I'll be on this, but hard enough I don't want to risk not running the center brace. Probably going with the Talion body, the yellow Typhon body will get used on my street Typhon. :cool:

I have not run the tower to tower brace on my kraton's and talion's with the m2c chassis and there straight as an arrow after years of bashing. not sure what the ADU aluminium is like though. as long as it not like the arrma 7075 aluminium you should be fine without the tower to tower brace

Just about got it finished yesterday. Center chassis braces will be here tomorrow and a dual fan mount later this week.

Went ahead and added an adjustable servo saver tube to the bellcrank. Got it set pretty tight, we'll see if the 30kg servo can hold up. Bushings replaced with bearings, already had 3 done but just got some new bearings so was able to get the 4th bushing replaced.
1000006815.jpg

Spektrum esc/motor for now, might upgrade later. Starting with a 18t pinion and will go up if needed.
1000006826.jpg

Used some .125 kydex with a carbon fiber print on it for a couple of things. More durable but also more challenging to work with than the thinner .080 kydex.
Made a kydex body mount for the front with 4mm hex studs and plastic thumbnuts, this type of setup has worked well on my other bashers.
1000006823.jpg
1000006824.jpg

Cut a custom kydex bumper for the rear, similar shape to the T-bone Racing bumpers but thicker. I find this size/shape works great as both a bumper and a wheelie limiter although I don't expect this rig to wheelie much.
1000006821.jpg
1000006822.jpg

The only downside to building a rig like this is I want to look at it all shiny and clean for a while, sort of dread scratching it up. :ROFLMAO:
1000006819.jpg
1000006820.jpg

Looks awesome man! Lots a great details. And the CF Kydex is cool. Great stance & the body is slick!

Just about got it finished yesterday. Center chassis braces will be here tomorrow and a dual fan mount later this week.

The only downside to building a rig like this is I want to look at it all shiny and clean for a while, sort of dread scratching it up. :ROFLMAO:View attachment 373926

Looks Great!
And remember you picked silver! ;)

Notice the Family Birthmark?

IMG_7628.JPG
IMG_7629.JPG
IMG_7630.JPG
IMG_7631.JPG

Turtle Upsidedown.jpg

Just a Flesh Wound.

IMG_7589 2.JPG

New chassis braces came in today. Last set the front brace didn't have a hole for the front screw, on the new set the back brace is too long by about 3mm. 🤬🤣
Have had pretty good luck with the cheap stuff up until this, but I knew sooner or later I'd get something that didn't work, lol.

Was going to send both sets back, but decided screw it, I have one that works for the front and rear, I'll use them despite the mismatch, plus both have holes that let me use lock nuts. Once I put them in, I realized a black one up front and silver one in the rear looks perfectly fine! With all the black plastic up front the brace just blends in, with the silver chassis exposed in the back, the rear brace looks just right...
1000006834.jpg

1000006835.jpg

Also used some double sided tape to put a thick piece of kydex under the motor to prevent bending the motor shaft. Can be removed and repositioned if I upgrade to a longer can.
1000006836.jpg

Planning to give it a first run tomorrow,!
1000006837.jpg

Ran it yesterday for the first time...I LIKE IT!😁

The Mojave 4s tires are awesome on 6s. Not much ballooning at all and great grip. I've run the belted MX28 Badlands, these are almost the same size. I find these to be at least as good, maybe better and much cheaper!

I like the looks with the Talion body, but might also give it a run as a stretch Typhon as it feels more like a buggy with the shorter tires and lower CG. Either way this is a fun rig for hard ground bashing and basic jumps. Will be running this rig a lot!😎

Last edited:
Back