Typhon Typhon 6S weight loss.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4S motor/Racing Lipo and lots of carbon/titanium/composite components.

There are better 1/8 buggy platforms designed to nickel and dime weight however, but they’ll break just looking at them in comparison.

Depends on your definition of how much is too much to spend to make it light.
Setting it up for use on 4s would be best.

Carbon shock towers, ti-screws, ti axles and dog bones.
Remove parts that are not needed like the radio box and tape the radio RX to the chassis. Remove some extra screws that could survive without.

Well, you can drop a few hundred dollars to shave grams with Ti screws, and such, but I suggest running the smallest / lightest battery that will fit your needs, and then tune suspension for that battery.
that's where I'm going right now. 4S is all i really need.
4S motor/Racing Lipo and lots of carbon/titanium/composite components.

There are better 1/8 buggy platforms designed to nickel and dime weight however, but they’ll break just looking at them in comparison
4S motor is a interesting idea.
Depends on your definition of how much is too much to spend to make it light.
Setting it up for use on 4s would be best.

Carbon shock towers, ti-screws, ti axles and dog bones.
Remove parts that are not needed like the radio box and tape the radio RX to the chassis. Remove some extra screws that could survive without.
Okay. So carbon shock towers seems like a okay idea. some on eBay are pretty cheap. I don't know how long those would last tho. And I'll try to remove whatever I don't need.

that's where I'm going right now. 4S is all i really need.

4S motor is a interesting idea.

Okay. So carbon shock towers seems like a okay idea. some on eBay are pretty cheap. I don't know how long those would last tho. And I'll try to remove whatever I don't need.
Yeah carbon gets eaten up very easily with abrasion/friction many people don't realize that.
You could also go to town with a Dremel or drill on the stock aluminum parts ;)

Yeah carbon gets eaten up very easily with abrasion/friction many people don't realize that.
You could also go to town with a Dremel or drill on the stock aluminum parts ;)
That is good to know. I don't have any real experience with carbon fiber.

It’s light enough already, man. It’s the lightest 6s Arrma, and the best handling one as well. Don’t overthink it. Just go enjoy it. And yes, as others have pointed out, I agree this rig is at it’s best when run on 4s.

There's a lot of weight that you can reduce. i've done a full build based on reducing weight. biggest gains would be these (ordered by weight)
  • 4s electronics - 150g
  • HV 4s lipo battery - 100g (compared to normal 4s lipo)
  • v3 motor mount - 50g
  • v3 (or even v2 if it fits - havnt tried) battery tray - about 50g including removing the second xt90 and the battery holder part
  • titanium pillow balls and links - 45g
  • carbon shock towers - 25g
  • regular width center driveshafts - 13g
A good weight to be in is about 2,700g when measured "dry" - no lipo, body or wheels and tires

There's a lot of weight that you can reduce. i've done a full build based on reducing weight. biggest gains would be these (ordered by weight)
  • 4s electronics - 150g
  • HV 4s lipo battery - 100g (compared to normal 4s lipo)
  • v3 motor mount - 50g
  • v3 (or even v2 if it fits - havnt tried) battery tray - about 50g including removing the second xt90 and the battery holder part
  • titanium pillow balls and links - 45g
  • carbon shock towers - 25g
  • regular width center driveshafts - 13g
A good weight to be in is about 2,700g when measured "dry" - no lipo, body or wheels and tires
I think that would take much of the joy from my Typhon. I enjoy it too much in stock form, and as I’m not track racing I don’t see the need at all. Reasons I would not take that weight loss approach are: titanium wears much more quickly than steel, carbon shock towers get mutilated on a Typhon in crashes as they are fully exposed and start to delaminate when they get wet, I don’t wish to downgrade my motor mount or especially my electronics, and don’t want to spend money or time changing what to me is my favorite basher in the whole Arrma 6s lineup.
I would understand the approach if you were racing or trying to achieve some really perfect technical driving balance, but that’s not what I do with my Typhon.

Back