Tools for getting started in RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The free ones can be "iffy". If you have one, NEVER use it to measure anything higher than the 120VAC coming out of your wall socket.

I've seen videos and magazine articles of these things going BOOM when used on 480VAC, well within it's ratings. Not that any electrician working with 480 would use such a cheap tool to measure it, but.......

I bought one of their new Ames brand meters, and it's pretty nice. It's about 75% "as good" as my Fluke, and it was one-fourth the price!

yes you can't learn to be lazy you either have it or you don't - I do!

I got myself a cheap power drill/driver with torque but can anyone suggest some drill bits to go with my 8S instead of drivers - keyboard working individuals don't go well with regular tools. I got my trusted align hex bits (https://www.heliproz.com/align-extended-hex-driver-set-agnhot00003/p204879) but would prefer to get a different set for my cars - can anyone suggest some please preferably ones that can be sourced in the UK/EU ?

yes you can't learn to be lazy you either have it or you don't - I do!

I got myself a cheap power drill/driver with torque but can anyone suggest some drill bits to go with my 8S instead of drivers - keyboard working individuals don't go well with regular tools. I got my trusted align hex bits (https://www.heliproz.com/align-extended-hex-driver-set-agnhot00003/p204879) but would prefer to get a different set for my cars - can anyone suggest some please preferably ones that can be sourced in the UK/EU ?
These are pretty good:
https://www.pbswisstools.co.uk/catalog/PB_Swiss_Tools/PB_E6_210.html

I got 3 or 4 of them from their US site. They fit all my mcmaster/traxxas/arrma screws nice and tight and are made out of some pretty hard stock. I haven't used them a ton, but I have used them.

@olds97_lss I will have a look at those - was hoping for longer ones but if not I may have to settle on short ones instead thanks for the suggestion
I wanted the longer ones too, but bought them anyway. I wanted them for my field bag.

2019-0424-PBSwissTools-HexBits.jpg

They aren't super short though. Just short enough to fit in a somewhat normal screwdriver handle.

Last edited:
I wanted the longer ones too, but bought them anyway. I wanted them for my field bag.
2019-0424-PBSwissTools-HexBits.jpg

Wiha makes some nice longer hex drivers that I've been meaning to get. They're made in Germany and are supposed to be impact resistant. Only downside is the smallest one is 2.5mm and goes to to 5mm.

https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-74333-2-5-x-90mm-hex-power-bit/

Screenshot_20191127-083717_Firefox.jpg

Edit: I looked some more and found Wera 89mm drivers that go down to 2mm. They have 1.5mm ones but are only 50mm long.

https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-059628-2-x-89mm-hex-power-bit/

Screenshot_20191127-085006_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Wiha makes some nice longer hex drivers that I've been meaning to get. They're made in Germany and are supposed to be impact resistant. Only downside is the smallest one is 2.5mm and goes to to 5mm.

https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-74333-2-5-x-90mm-hex-power-bit/

View attachment 55315

Edit: I looked some more and found Wera 89mm drivers that go down to 2mm. They have 1.5mm ones but are only 50mm long.

https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-059628-2-x-89mm-hex-power-bit/

View attachment 55316
I own some Wiha torx drivers for work. No problems so far. ??

Sometimes we can get a free one at Harbor Freight with one of the free item coupons. Haven't seen the coupon in a few months but I did get mine free. Just a heads up. ? I've never left HF without something free.
I got one at HF for $10, piece of junk. It read the same no matter what. My Pop passed on a few years back and I found he had a really nice meter which I use now. I gave the HF meter to a guy at the track who's a real jerk... ?

I got one at HF for $10, piece of junk. It read the same no matter what. My Pop passed on a few years back and I found he had a really nice meter which I use now. I gave the HF meter to a guy at the track who's a real jerk... ?

We get what we pay for, no doubt. The free one I got works well enough for the little use it gets.

If you've been in R/C for several years and have hundreds of dollars in tools already, this post isn't going to be useful for you. If you're just getting started in R/C, maybe you just picked up your first Arrma model and want to know what tools to pick up... this post is exactly for you!

Short version:

Hex Drivers

Arrma, along with most any other manufacture, usually includes some L hex wrenches. These are usually a pain to use especially in hard to reach areas and do a great job at rounding your hex heads and for those reasons I recommend throwing them away or giving them to someone you don't like.

Bondhus makes great tools, offer a lifetime warranty, and make tools here in the USA and offer some very nice priced tools that are great to get started with, like the Bondhus 10686 6-piece set. Which includes 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, & 5.0mm hex drivers.

In addition you'll also want to pick up a Bondhus .050" hex driver. For less than $20 you'll have all your hex screw needs covered and then some.

Nut Drivers

The tiny 4-way cross wrench isn't bad, truth be told I still use mine every once in a while but have a couple nut drivers makes the work far more easier and quicker.

The Dynamite metric nut driver set is a nice set that's going to cover both the 5.5mm and 7mm nuts used on most Arrma models.

Screwdrivers

You probably likely already have a couple screwdrivers laying around somewhere but if not then the Tekton 4 piece set makes a nice set to cover both slotted and phillips screws.

Other Stuff

There are a couple more things I'd recommend adding to your R/C toolbox to finish it off. Needle nose pliers, again something you may already have if not any, if not again the Tekton 3504 needle nose pliers for a few bucks will be fine.

Blue thread lock, as you'll be using this anytime a screw goes into a metal piece to prevent the screw from backing out. I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of the Loctite blue sticks. You can get the small bottle version but with the sticks you don't have to worry about it leaking, dripping, running, or drying out. It goes exactly where you put it.

To finish it off, get some permatex white lithium grease. This offers great lubrication without being overly messy or thick.

For not much money you can have pretty much all the tools you're going to need to work on your Arrma RC's that's going to last you a good long time and a toolbox that will go with you as you buy more and more RC's.

Thanks Woodie, this is perfect information for me. I have most of the tools from fixing everything else and building computers, however I wanted to get some hex head drill bits/driver bits if you have any recommendations on a quality set.

I am on vacation reading this on my phone but will check back when I get home and can thoroughly read it. I really appreciate the info! Great resources for noobs

MIP are considered the best of the best. If you want to try and save a few bucks there are others, like EDS, Bondhaus, Wiha, Wera, and some others. I even have a set of drivers (not bits) from Amazon that were cheap and work well.

Even though I am a bit of a newb and returning to the hobby, I understand the importance of quality tools, It makes working on your cars/trucks not only easier it can be much more enjoyable too, that's just my experience.
I shelled out and went with MIP, I am just waiting on the Hex ball tip drivers to arrive for the harder to reach areas on the cars and also waiting on a 3D printed driver organizer done for me by Amped RC.
20200227_091918.jpg
received_520593595322219.png

Even though I am a bit of a newb and returning to the hobby, I understand the importance of quality tools, It makes working on your cars/trucks not only easier it can be much more enjoyable too, that's just my experience.
I shelled out and went with MIP, I am just waiting on the Hex ball tip drivers to arrive for the harder to reach areas on the cars and also waiting on a 3D printed driver organizer done for me by Amped RC.
View attachment 68796View attachment 68797
Fine looking set of tools.

View attachment 68796View attachment 68797
Nice tools. I'm shopping for a quality set as well. Was looking at the pricey Hudy tool set but I keep coming back to MIP tools. probably going to go with them. Do you find yourself using all these tools or is that overkill for what is needed? I would be using the tools for our 1/8 scale Arrma trucks and buggy.
Also was wondering about the Hex ball tips tool set. Can these be used as normal drivers or just on tough angle screw removals?

You can use a ball-end driver for "normal" use, but you'll wear them out faster than if you use a regular hex bit. Then when you really need them, they won't work right.

You can get by with less than a full set, but you'll find yourself eventually buying them all, so if your budget can handle it, just get them all at once.

I've worn out a set of Bondhaus, a set of Allen, and a couple of sets of "No Name" hex drivers over the years. The quality of the MIP tools really impressed me, and I wound up getting a complete set of them. Really good quality tools.

You can use a ball-end driver for "normal" use, but you'll wear them out faster than if you use a regular hex bit. Then when you really need them, they won't work right.

You can get by with less than a full set, but you'll find yourself eventually buying them all, so if your budget can handle it, just get them all at once.

I've worn out a set of Bondhaus, a set of Allen, and a couple of sets of "No Name" hex drivers over the years. The quality of the MIP tools really impressed me, and I wound up getting a complete set of them. Really good quality tools.
Wow you have then all? Thats a lot of tools. Do you use them all? I take it you bought them all individually since they don't sell a complete set. I would think that some sizes would not be used with some brand Vehicles. I've seen lots of RC tool reviews and they all fall short to MIP. The only think close in the comparison is Hudy brand but they are pricey. not to sure about this new "Flex Steel Tips" they claim to use on their drivers.
It seems that MIP most sells their tools individually or in small three or four pack driver sets. Almost the same price if you buy them separately. What MIP sets and tools should I start with? Currently only own Arrma vehicles if that makes a difference or not.

For hex drivers and speed tips I have MIP. I don't have the nut drivers because I'd rarely use em.
The MIP sets I have, I use mostly 2.0 and 2.5mm but the whole set is worth having imo. (1.5-3.0)
The ball tips stuff I'm not a fan of and have a standard cheap Home Depot store brand for those and they're almost never used ....yet.
For a good buy on nut drivers, I've found these to be quite fine so far and because I rarely use em, they're still in great shape.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TPSF32/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow you have then all? Thats a lot of tools. Do you use them all? I take it you bought them all individually since they don't sell a complete set. I would think that some sizes would not be used with some brand Vehicles. I've seen lots of RC tool reviews and they all fall short to MIP. The only think close in the comparison is Hudy brand but they are pricey. not to sure about this new "Flex Steel Tips" they claim to use on their drivers.
It seems that MIP most sells their tools individually or in small three or four pack driver sets. Almost the same price if you buy them separately. What MIP sets and tools should I start with? Currently only own Arrma vehicles if that makes a difference or not.

Well, they don't make "complete sets" like Snap-On would have, but I have pretty much what Andoz81 has; all the hex drivers, the nut drivers, and the hex bits with 1/4" drive, which I bought by mistake.

I have several of the turnbuckle wrenches, too.

The only thing I've used the nutdrivers for has been the hexnut holding the wheels on, and a Harbor Freight nutdriver would be "plenty good enough" for that!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back