Outcast Spiral cut or straight cut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
Hi all!
I need some help deciding between these two RCAWD diffs for my 4s.

IMG_2991.jpeg
IMG_2992.jpeg

I am not looking to buy these,I actually have both and am going to get rid of one. The components seem to be the same quality, but the spiral gears mesh better and I prefer them. The spiral gear sticks about 8mm out from the diff case, whereas the straight cut gear sticks out about 4.7mm. When you look at it this way, the spiral set is the obvious pick.

Now, the issue- the spiral cut input gear doesn’t fit into the center diff output gear, so I would have to try to get it in with a little tweaking (which has been done). I also am waiting on RCawd to tell me if they have fixed the part, in the meantime as I said I’d either have to mod it or something. It’s worth noting that I believe the rcawd spiral gears are also the same as the HR gears.
Sorry for the long winded post!

Spiral cut teeth offer more surface area for gear contact, spreading out the transfer load to more material.

However, the material in question is always a limiting factor, IMO. Gears with spiral cut teeth made out of cheese will be stronger than gears with straight cut teeth made out of cheese--but at the end of the day, they're still gears made out of cheese. Generally, i'd say the extra cost for spiral cut is not worth it, but those are just my cents.

Side note: Are you saying you're trying to run a spiral cut front/rear diff gears on your center diff spur??

Spiral cut teeth offer more surface area for gear contact, spreading out the transfer load to more material.

However, the material in question is always a limiting factor, IMO. Gears with spiral cut teeth made out of cheese will be stronger than gears with straight cut teeth made out of cheese--but at the end of the day, they're still gears made out of cheese. Generally, i'd say the extra cost for spiral cut is not worth it, but those are just my cents.

Side note: Are you saying you're trying to run a spiral cut front/rear diff gears on your center diff spur??
Thanks!

Thankfully, these are some pretty good hardened steel which I’ve run before.
So the issue is the input at the back of the center diff (which I’m leaving stock straight cut gears on) doesn’t fit over the aftermarket RCAWD spiral cut diff input gear. For some reason. (The older straight cut RCawd gears, which were released before the center diff, fit 🤷‍♂️)

You know now that I am thinking about it, I think that one has HR in both front and rear. I have two, one with a 4s slipper and one with the v2.5 diff. both have spiral gears.

I will look at it to night after work. I can try and fit the power mod in the other k4 to see if it fits.

I've had the HR spiral cut diff gears and aluminum cases. No sign of wear and I've been running them since 2019. Only had to replace one aluminum diff case. O-ring wasn't sitting right and all the fluid leaked out and friction hit quickly and internal gear pins ate the aluminum causing bad mesh. I had to cut one outdrive pinion to fit the new plastic nut thing in the back end of the slipper clutch plate.

Back