Typhon Spice up a stock Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.Hurrle

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vorteks
Alright folks I need some help. My first Arrma was/is a Vorteks. I love pretty much everything about it and it quickly became my favorite ground based RC vehicle. Thinking it would be some kind of improvement I later picked up a Typhon. Both are 3s and both have all the same electronics. I was a little disappointed that the Typhon was/is slower than the Vorteks. regardless of all that, I still find that I reach for the Vorteks first and feel like the Typhon is an afterthought. What can I do to spice up the Typhon without dumping more than 100.00 on it? Should I look at selling/trading it off for something else or are there some kind of mods I can do to it that will wake it up a bit?

I was eyeing a set of hoons for it and maybe popping a 20t pinion in it.

Thanks!

Don't put a 20T pinion on it. You'll burn it up. And 3900 KV is too high.

Watch on here or Jenny's for a 4s system. 120A ESC, 2400KV motor. THEN put a 20T pinion on it and see what it does. On 3S.

That's what I did to a Mega. Got it for 100 or 115 here in the classifieds. Surprises a lot of people. Lol. Go 4S and it will be even stupider. But, then you run the risk of tearing the drive train up. That's at your own risk.

You could get a complete 4s ESC/motor combo with a lot of choices on AliExpress for way less than $100.00 The Rocket/Surpass stuff is actually really good.

Girl and I both have 3s typhons that easily hit 50mph. Plenty fast for us but we're older..:LOL:

Girl and I both have 3s typhons that easily hit 50mph. Plenty fast for us but we're older..:LOL:
I wish. I got mine second hand so I don’t know its history. It’s running the basic BLX 100 setup and a 17t pinion and it only does 40.

I would be happy with 50-60 and for the record… I’m 41. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't put a 20T pinion on it. You'll burn it up. And 3900 KV is too high.
The Vendetta and Infraction 3s (same chassis) come stock with a 3900kv motor, and they don't burn up. I have an Infraction 3s, and I have no issues with the motor.

The Vendetta and Infraction 3s (same chassis) come stock with a 3900kv motor, and they don't burn up. I have an Infraction 3s, and I have no issues with the motor.
Gearing is different in the Vendetta & Infraction, those two cars run a 50t spur. Typhon, Granite, Senton, Big Rock all use a 57t spur. The Infraction & Vendetta are geared for speed running & hooning, that's how they're able to get away with using a 3900kv motor. Not knocking your setup, just shedding some light on the reason for the motor differences.

The stock motor in the Typhon is 3200kv. Adding a 20T pinion will make it run hot. Eventually cooking. it. Going down in KV and up in gearing will keep things cool. Usually. The 2400kv and 20T pinion I have in mine doesn't run hot. At all. I could probably get away with another tooth or two. Handful as it is.

Gearing is different in the Vendetta & Infraction, those two cars run a 50t spur. Typhon, Granite, Senton, Big Rock all use a 57t spur. The Infraction & Vendetta are geared for speed running & hooning, that's how they're able to get away with using a 3900kv motor. Not knocking your setup, just shedding some light on the reason for the motor differences.

Plus the tires are smaller. If his intentions are a speed runner and change the wheels he could get away with the higher KV.

I would sell it, I find that I either love it or it sits. I got a crawler I run every couple of weeks but its needs another $200 to make it right. Just can't get myself to spend the money on something that doesn't make me all giddy inside like a kid. I need to sell it but I really like the body so I just look at it.

Try something different! Arrma or not its about having something you want to play with.

I replaced the ESC in the Typhon, today with a new one that I forgot I had on the way. The one that was in it was in rough shape and actually would no longer respond to the programming button. Additionally I installed a 20t pinion and I’m sure both had an effect. Where previously it did 40mph, today it did 60. I need to do some running and check what kind of heat it’s generating and maybe drop a tooth or two. All things considered am VERY happy with the difference. I pulled the 17t that was in it and replaced the 15t in my Vorteks and it hit 50. Seems like it’s been good results all around

I replaced the ESC in the Typhon, today with a new one that I forgot I had on the way. The one that was in it was in rough shape and actually would no longer respond to the programming button. Additionally I installed a 20t pinion and I’m sure both had an effect. Where previously it did 40mph, today it did 60. I need to do some running and check what kind of heat it’s generating and maybe drop a tooth or two. All things considered am VERY happy with the difference. I pulled the 17t that was in it and replaced the 15t in my Vorteks and it hit 50. Seems like it’s been good results all around
Good to hear. It's all fun and games.......until it melts. Keep an eye on temps.

Good to hear. It's all fun and games.......until it melts. Keep an eye on temps.
I will. I have an IR thermometer. Right now I’m just running it around the street in front of my house. For the next little while I’m planning to run it for a bit and check and repeat as necessary. So far the highest temp I have seen on the motor is 128.

Glad you're finally able to start enjoying your Typhon! It's such sharp handling & nimble little rig!

I put some hoons on it and it runs great. Ran a full pack through it today on the street and checked the temps after… 142 was the highest I found on the motor. ESC clocked 124 and the wires were 114 with the capacitors just before the esc being 130. I know the motor and ESC temps are ok but I do worry a little about the wiring getting warm like that. It sure looks nice though…

IMG_8779.jpeg

Back