Kraton So I Bought a Kraton...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraton is coming along pretty Good! Can't wait to see it once you've got it up and running. What motor and esc are you planning on running?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I took everyone's suggestion about a stronger servo mount and threw this together. Neither my best nor worst work overall. Support legs and a coat of paint next.

I was about to use acetone to remove the Badlands tire from the single damaged rim when I realized that the crack the seller described was only a bent hub center.

I put the hex and nut back in to the wheel, then used a screwdriver that matched the center bore and a heat gun to return the hub to true.

image.jpeg

I put the hex into the drill press and ran the wheel through at about 5000rpm and it ran close enough to true that I won't be worried about driveline damage.

Bro, that's some pretty good work. The servo mount looks about as good as a home job could. I am also pretty impressed with the heat gun trick. I'm interested to see how that works in the long run. Keep on truckin, this thing is coming along nicely.

Bro, that's some pretty good work. The servo mount looks about as good as a home job could. I am also pretty impressed with the heat gun trick. I'm interested to see how that works in the long run. Keep on truckin, this thing is coming along nicely.
Nice work !! I would love to take on a rebuild like that. If I only had the time. One day !!

@Camo, I have two children. Time is non-existent, projects like this are taken from the "hours slept" fund.
Elk,
You obviously know what you are doing and are good at it. To find time to do this with two small children, I applaud. Keep up the great work, your updates are fun to see!

Elk, I have 3 kids, an Italian Wife, and my in-laws live with us. I do a lot of the work on my RC cars out of the back of my car, during my lunch hour. Occasionally the "time slept" bank gets drawn from, for RCs, but usually it is the other 6 people who use that.

@Camo, I have two children. Time is non-existent, projects like this are taken from the "hours slept" fund.
Seems like sometimes the bashing time is from the same fund......lol. Checking this thread several times a day for updates. Can't wait to see the finished kraton but know it will take some time. You're doing an awesome job and keep up the good work.

Outcast battery and receiver boxes are in along with the ESC tray. Now to just finish rebuilding the front shocks. I think I have some Jammin' CRT front shafts sitting somewhere.

image.jpeg

It gets better soon, I promise!

Last edited:
Outcast battery and receiver boxes are in along with the ESC tray. Now to just finish rebuilding the front shocks. I think I have some Jammin' CRT front shafts sitting somewhere.

View attachment 11119

It get better soon, I promise!
Doing a jam up job on that thing. Looks nothing like it first did. When you get done with this one I have one that needs some love.......lol

Also curious as to what you made the servo mount legs from.

Elk, you are doing so much so fast that I would assume you are single or the wife is out of town. If I did that much RC work in the same time I would have been banished to the garage by now.

Next comes some shameless de-anodizing.

image.jpeg

Parts will receive a slight polish with Simichrome to protect against oxidation and retain shine.

image.jpeg

In order to maintain my strict budget and because I lavished on some V2 hubs with fresh bearings, I had to chop down my V1 hexes to the V2 length.

image.jpeg

I'm so excited to see the end results I'm gonna pee on myself.......lol.
This thing is looking fantastic so far. Keep up the good work and pictures.

I'm so excited to see the end results I'm gonna pee on myself.......lol.
This thing is looking fantastic so far. Keep up the good work and pictures.

I am totally with you. So far I am really impressed at the speed in which all this was accomplished. Can wait for the pic of it flying.

Going to have to take a 10 day hiatus from this project, but some really fun things will be going in when it resumes in early August.

The truck is now a refinished and polished roller. All diffs are shimmed, and it is in 100% mechanical condition.

To date, it has been the Hundred Buck Truck. The roller was purchased for $60 on eBay, and the battery boxes and new plastic parts in need of replacement totaled another $33.

Motor, servo and speed control are a little special something I had sitting from previous projects.

Here's my build theme for those of you who know this image.

image.png

8s coming soon...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back